photo circa 1903

A Brief History of Beckingham ...

It is believed that the village of Beckingham was founded by the Angles and is generally accepted that a building for Christian worship existed on the site of the present church.

The Church is dedicated to All Saints and dates from the 12th century. It bears some interesting features, including a 13th century Sedalia with moulded arches and detached shafts, with capitals of foliage that provided three seats for priests. There are a number of memorial tablets, specifically one dedicated to Mrs Marion Parkinson, a survivor of the 1852 Birkenhead Disaster, happening off the Cape.

Millenium Stone on Green
Beckingham has a small but attractive village green with the remains of an old ash tree, the tall stump of which has been carved into a large barn owl. Also on the village green is a large stone inscribed with Beckingham cum Saundby Parish Council erected to commemorate the millennium 2000 This is flanked by two capstans originating from the local Watson's Shipyard. The millstone and anvil were from the village blacksmiths and represent the rural employment history of our village.

Today there are some 500 households and a population of around 2000. There was a Methodist Church which closed August 2007 but the small Post Office cum General Store survives and is the hub of the village. Unfortunately Beckingham does not have a pub although the Trent Port by the river just before Gainsborough is theoretically within the Beckingham boundary although not particularly within walking distance!

Flood 1947
Beckingham is one of the most northerly villages of Nottinghamshire. It lies in the Trent valley within a triangle of counties - three miles to the east of the village lies the River Trent and the County of Lincolnshire - ten miles to the North is Yorkshire. The Trent has long provided a source of income for the village residents, with the Willow Works on the riverside originally prior to a purpose built works being erected on Old Trent Road. This provided a cottage industry for the villagers housing willow-strippers and basket-weavers. It is the drying and storing shed that is the last remaining feature of the Willow Works on Old Trent Road and a major effort is being made to restore it to something like its original condition. Should this be achieved then the village would have a valuable resource at their disposal with the possibility of a museum to record and preserve the details of the willow and basket making industry and a centre from which visitors to the village can go and see the proposed reinstatement of Beckingham Marshes.
Aerial View of the Shipyard
The Watson Shipbuilder's were the principal employers from 1889 and during the height of their business they were building craft to be exported all over the world. The shipyard closed in 1962. The village will be forever grateful to the Watson family for donating land to enable a school to be erected in 1901 for 150 children and for the Institute, Reading Room and Library in 1908. Beckingham continued to benefit from the philanthropy of the Watson family when in 1944 they gave a 10 acre field for a sports field and assisted in the building of the Village Hall. They were also responsible for the acquisition of the Recreation Room (old Primitive Chapel) for the village. Beckingham still benefits from the above today.

www.beckingham-northnotts.org.uk
This website has been funded by:

logo logo logo logo logo logo
logo logo
logo Local Heritage Initiative logo logo
logo logo
Heritage Lottery Fund logo logo
logo Nationwide logo
National Lottery logo
Home  |  About Us  |  Links  |  Contact Us  |  Site Map