Peter Mason Files

MOSLEY’S YARD TO RAVENSCROFT LANE



IMAGE12a-01
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed 18th June 1996
Negative 12
Northern end of High Street looking into Mosley Yard Lane before the two old cottages were demolished.
Copied from Mrs Freda Proudley’s photograph.

NETHER COTTAGE, MOSLEY YARD LANE

1736 A homestead, letter m, no 121. 29 perches on the map.
1777 A homestead (Nettleship) no. 142, owned by Prebend of Beckingham
1779 Held leasehold from Southwell Prebend by Robert Cross. Probably let to Nettleship.
1892 The Nether Cottage deeds show Edward Charles Cross of Kirton Lindsey sold this property to Edward Proudley, who later sold it to Mr Loker, but kept the paddock that lies between Home Farm and the Blacksmiths (Walkers). Enclosure no. 153
George Bee said it was occupied by Miss Pykett or Piggott in the 1890s.
1866 Tithe Book gives the occupier as William Pigott, owners Messrs Roger and Tong junior.
Alwin Ingall says Loker lived here. Mr Loker was a signalman. Percy Proudley said Carvers also Lokers. Mr Carver walked to work at Gainsborough.
1885 Ordinance Survey map shows a pump.

The above mentioned Edward Charles Cross was probably the same as Charles Edward Cross great grandson of Robert, who bought the Meynell Estate. Charles Edward Cross owned The Hall. Was this the cottage where Mrs Irene Florence Danville lived? And was her son Peter H. Danville? Yes and yes.
Circa 1970 the cottage was demolished and a new dwelling erected which was then named Nether Cottage.
The old cottage appears to have faced south and had a pantile roof.

Michael Proudley thinks that Loker and the Danville’s lived in the cottage which has been replaced by Nether Cottage; either all together or in separate parts of the same cottage, and that Alf Gale lived in what has been rebuilt as Dunhelm House and worked for Herbert Proudley.
Freda Proudley says that Mrs Danville was grand-daughter of Mr Loker.

NETHER COTTAGE, MOSLEY YARD, OFF HIGH STREET

17th May 1801 John Pykitt of Harworth married Ann Byron at Beckingham.
(The Byrons lived at the west end of Church Street).

Census Returns
1831
John Pygott, 2 male, 2 female

1841

John Pygott 65 Agriculture Labourer (Probably the John Pykitt of Haworth who married Ann Byron of Beckingham, 17th May 1801)
Ann Pygott 65
Mary Pygott 25
Hannah Pygott 20

1851
Schedule 52 Beckingham Born

John Pygott Head 77 Agriculture Labourer Blyth
Mary Pygott Daughter Unmarried 38 Dressmaker Beckingham

1861
Schedule 74 High Street

John Pykitt Head Widower 86 Shepherd Blyth
Mary Pykitt Daughter Unmarried 43 Dressmaker Beckingham

1871
Schedule 70 Mosley Yard

Mary Pygott Head Unmarried 57 Charwoman Beckingham

1881
Schedule 42 High Street

Mary Pygott Head Unmarried 66 Beckingham

1891
Schedule 57 High Street. 4 rooms

Mary Pygott Head Single 77 Cottager Agriculture Beckingham

Pygott Marriages

23rd May 1825 Elizabeth married Thomas Turner junior

11th June 1832 Anne married Charles Walker of Lea

8th September 1834 Sarah married John Sewell of Everton

17th May 1801 John Pykit of Haworth married Ann Byron of Beckingham

1901
Schedule 62, High Street Perhaps:-

George Hill Head Married 39 Pork Butcher Own account Beckingham
Annie E. Hill Wife Married 38 Fenton
Archibold R. Porter Servant Single 15 Butcher’s errand boy Doncaster
Worker



IMAGE12a-02
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Northern end of High Street, Beckingham, looking towards Mosley Yard Lane.
Date unknown.
The two old cottages in the far middle of this picture have since been demolished and rebuilt.



IMAGE12a-03
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Copied from Freda Proudley’s Photo.
North end of High Street, showing cottages beyond the corner. Straw had been put on the road to deaden the sound of traffic, because Gertrude Proudly was seriously ill at Home Farm.
Developed 14th October 1996. Negative 7

DUNHELM HOUSE, OR MOSLEY YARD LANE COTTAGE

1736 Colbeck’s map. A homestead, letter g, no.120, 1 rood 26 perches
1777 Enclosure map. Bundby Homestead, no 143, 1 rood, 31 perches; owner W. Flint.
1779 or later is was owned by George Moody. George Moody of Gringley married Elizabeth Watson of Beckingham. William Flint of Orchard House was her lawful guardian.

Marriage license 6th October 1779. George Moody of Gringley on the Hill, 21 and Elizabeth Watson, spinster 20, at Beckingham.
Robert Moody senior and Robert Moody junior (Bondsmen), both of East Retford, swore William Flint, lawful guardian of said Elizabeth, consented.

1866 Tithe Rents. Occupier John Fenton, owner Mr Watson.

Percy Proudley said that this was a worker’s cottage belonging to the Home Farm on High street. The cottage and farm was owned by the Tong family who sold it by auction on 1st May 1962. (See sale catalogue.). The cottage was empty at the time of the sale and was bought by Levicks? Altoft, an employee on the farm lived here once.
This was part of Ordinance Survey 148 on the Ordinance Survey map revised 1940.
George Bee said Mr Willerton lived here in the 1890’s

Michael Proudley says that Alf Gale lived here and worked for Herbert Proudley. Also John Taylor worked for Proudley's.

Circ 1970 Having been empty for some years, the cottage was demolished and a house built on the site. It was then named Dunelm House. The cottage had a hipped roof and faced south.

Peter,

The black and white photograph shows the three cottages. The coloured photograph taken a couple of years ago when the cottage on the corner was being renovated and had all the plaster removed, plus I tried to take the same shot.

Demolished cottage and occupants “Gales”, Jack Taylor ( Son John Lines at Kexby).
Mason’s

Danville Cottage – (some illegible hand-written lines here).

If these photo’s interest you please take copies of them.

Freda

DUNELM HOUSE, LANE LEADING TO MOSLEY YARD

Probable Census Returns relating to earlier cottage.
1831 Census, Beckingham
William Schofield, 1 male, 2 females.

1841 Census, Beckingham

William Schofield 55 Agriculture Labourer (William Schofield and Maria Dickinson married at Beckingham 25th November 1813)
Maria Schofield 55
Sarah Dickenson 85
Henry Brett 8
M. Ann Brett 7

1851 Census
Schedule 53 Beckingham

William Schofield Head Married 67 Agriculture Labourer ? ?
Maria Schofield Wife Married 70 Beckingham

1861 Census
Schedule 75 High Street

John Fenton Head Married 27 Agriculture Labourer North Wheatley
Amelia Fenton Wife Married 28 Beckingham
Mary A. Fenton Daughter 5 Scholar Beckingham
Robert Fenton Son 8 months Beckingham

1871 Census
Schedule 69 Mosley Yard

Thompson Matthews Head Married 30 Agriculture Labourer Crosby, Lincolnshire
Elizabeth Matthews Wife Married 27 Sutton, Nottinghamshire
Lillian Matthews Daughter 3 Beckingham
Walter Matthews Son 2 Everton, Nottinghamshire
Ellen Matthews Daughter 9 months Beckingham
(The above family were at The Hollies on High Street in 1881 and 1891)

1881 Census
Schedule 43 High Street

Joseph Chamberlain Head Married 39 Agriculture Labourer Epworth, Lincolnshire
Sarah A. Chamberlain Wife 30 Belton, Lincolnshire
Edith Chamberlain Daughter 11 Scholar Belton, Lincolnshire
Martha Chamberlain Daughter 7 Scholar Epworth, Lincolnshire
Annie Chamberlain Daughter 4 Scholar Stockwith, Nottinghamshire
Teresa Chamberlain Daughter 2 Stockwith, Nottinghamshire

1891 Census
Schedule 58 High Street, 4 rooms

Joseph Emerson Head Married 26 Labourer in Hemswell, Lincolnshire.
Iron Works
Ruth Emerson Wife Married 27 Branston, Lincolnshire
Walter Emerson Son 2 Branston, Lincolnshire
Sarah H. Emerson Daughter 1 Beckingham, Nottinghamshire

1901 Census
Schedule 63, High Street, 4 rooms

Tom Scrimshaw Head Married 31 Ship plate riveter Worker Hemswell
Ellen Scrimshaw Wife Married 23 Upton, Lincolnshire
Annie E. Scrimshaw Daughter 2 Beckingham
Edith E. Scrimshaw Daughter 5 months Beckingham.

Or Perhaps –

1901
Schedule 64, High Street, 4 rooms.

Edward Proctor Head Married 49 Boiler maker Worker Lincoln
Mary A. Proctor Wife Married 53 Kirton Lindsey
Charlotte Proctor Daughter single 24 Dressmaker Stroud, Kent
Own account. At home
Norah Proctor Daughter Single 19 Gainsborough

MOSLEY YARD COTTAGE

1736 A Homestead, letter 1, no. 119, 3 roods 22 perches.
1777 Mosley Yard owned by R. Fretwell, no. 144, I acre, O roods, 13 perches.
1779 or later ownership changed to Charles Newbold.
1829 – 23rd November 1829 John Keightley, W, married Susanna Coggan.
1831 – 24 November 1831 John Hempsell, widower, married Ann Isles at Beckingham.
1885 Ordinance Survey Map shows a cottage with a pump in front.
Levicks had a building on this site in the 1960a and 1970s to house pigs which were fed on whey from Barton’s cheese factory at Saundby. This is probably how Levick’s liquid haulage business started.

LANE END COTTAGE ON MOSLEY YARD LANE

Probable Census returns relating to demolished cottage.

1831 Census

(23rd November 1829 John Keightley W. married Susannah Coggan)

1841 Census

John Keightley 35 Agriculture Labourer
Hannah Keightley 35
Sarah Keightley 11
William Keightley 9
Robert Keightley 4
Mary Keightley 1

Or

1841 alternative but less likely than J. Keightley.

Jonathon Crowder 40 Agriculture Labourer
Elizabeth Crowder 40
Ann Crowder 12
William Crowder 10
Frances Crowder 7
George Crowder 4
Hannah Crowder 2
(This family was living at the 4th Royston Cottage in 1851 and 1861 and 1871)

1851 Census
Schedule 54 Beckingham

John Keightley Head Married 50? Agriculture Beckingham Labourer
Susannah Keightley Wife married 45 Haxey, Lincolnshire
Sarah Keightley Daughter unmarried 20 Dressmaker Beckingham
Robert Keightley Son 14 Plough Driver Beckingham
Mary Keightley Daughter 10 Beckingham
George? Keightley Grandson Illegit 2 Beckingham

1861 Census
Schedule 76 High street
John Keightley Head Married 58 Agriculture Labourer Beckingham
Susannah Keightley Wife Married 55 Haxey, Lincolnshire
Mary Keightley Daughter Unmarried 20 Beckingham

1861 A William Crowder is listed on High Street, schedule 73 next to an unoccupied house. Perhaps there was a cottage next to Orchard House.

Census 1871
Schedule 68 Mosley Yard

John Hempsell Head Married 74 Agriculture Labourer Beckcingham
Ann Hempsell Wife Married 70 Bole, Nottinghamshire
William Hempsell Grandson 9 Scholar Beckingham

24th November 1831. John Hempsell, widower, married Anne Isles at Beckingham.
In 1851 and 1861 they were living at a cottage a Pear Tree Hill.
Census 1881 and 1891. This cottage was not mentioned so had perhaps been demolished.



IMAGE12a-04
(please click on the above text to view original image)
A poor photograph of the stable in the blacksmith’s yard, at Levicks corner of the High street and Gringley Road. It was demolished about twelve years after this picture was taken in 1977.



IMAGE12a-05
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Copied and developed in march 1994.
Negative 7
Levick’s house, now demolished, at the High Street and Gringley Road Corner. Showing also the end of Moat House, centre of picture, and the one time Plough Public House and outbuilding on the right of picture.



IMAGE12a-05
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Remains of the Blacksmith’s shop behind the Victorian House at High Street Gringley Road Corner in April 1981



IMAGE12a-06
(please click on the above text to view original image)

BLACKSMITHS AT NORTHERN END OF HIGH STREET

1736 Homestead no. 176, letter s, 1 rood 19 perches (Map)
1777 Homestead no. 152, 1 rood 16 perches, owners Meynells Heirs (Map)
1779 Valuation of Beckingham, could be later. Owner Samuel Wheatcroft.
1866 Tithe Rents, occupier Thomas Walker, 11 pence; owner Mr Milner, Gainsborough.
1895 George Bee gives occupier as T. Walker, retired Blacksmith

Percy Proudley says John Walker father of Henry lived here.

Alwin Ingall :- occupant , Wilf Walker, brother of Henry who was the husband of the Mrs Walker who lived in the semi, on Church Street next to her son Gerald.

1885 ordinance survey map shows a smithy on the site. The house at this date was probably the Victorian on that replaced the end to the road cottage of 1777.

1832 Whites Directory gives George Hemingway as blacksmith, but the location is not given.

Post World War II the property was occupied by frank H. Levick, who with two of his sons ran it as a pig farm along with a small paddock at the bottom of Mosley Yard. They also had a tanker lorry business which was later transferred to Westfields on High Street. After the death of Mr Levick senior the house and buildings were demolished and the roadside brook culverted. Norman Levick built a bungalow at the western end of the site circa 1980.

One of the Walker family kept horses and a carriage for hire. See the photograph of the Tong family of The Spinney, Low Street. As there was no coach-house on the premises, the carriage was perhaps stored at Home Farm.

Although the Jobb family were blacksmiths with a shop on the Green, they seem to have had a connection with this shop too. See 1841 census.

BLACKSMITHS AT GRINGLEY ROAD CORNER

1831 Census

John Johnson, 2 male, 2 female.

1841 Census

John Johnson 65 Agriculture Labourer
Helen Johnson 55
William Jubb 70 Blacksmith

1851 Census
Schedule 50 Beckingham

Ellin Johnson Head Widow 67 Pauper formerly Agriculture Labourer's Wife
Thomas Walker Son in Law 24 Blacksmith Bawtry, Yorkshire Married
Sarah Walker Daughter 27 Beckingham married
John Johnson Walker Son 3 months Beckingham

1861 Census
Schedule 71 High Street
Thomas Walker Head Married 34 Blacksmith- Master Bawtry
Sarah Walker Wife Married 37 Beckingham
John Walker Son 10 Scholar Beckingham
Henry Walker Son 7 Scholar Beckingham
Thomas Walker Son 3 Beckingham

1871 Census
Schedule 66 Top Street

Thomas Walker head Married 45 Blacksmith Misterton
Sarah Walker Wife Married 47 Beckingham
John Walker Son Unmarried 20 Blacksmith Beckingham
Thomas Walker Son 13 Scholar Beckingham

1881 Census
Schedule 50

Thomas Walker Head Married 53 Blacksmith Misterton
Sarah Walker Wife Married 56 Beckingham
John Walker son 30 Blacksmith Beckingham
Thomas H. W. Walker Grandson 2 Beckingham

1891 Census
Schedule 64 High Street

Thomas Walker Head Widow 65 Bawtry
Hannah Mettham Servant Widow 33 Housekeeper Lincolnshire

Alwin Ingall says that Wilf Walker lived here. He was the brother of Henry, whose widow lived in the western half of the pair of cottages on Church Street in the 1950’s and 1960’s.

1901 Census
Schedule 75, High Street

John Walker Head Married 49 Carter and Sexton Own Account Beckingham
Harriet Walker Wife Married 47 East Keal
Harry J. Walker Son Single 17 Assistant Carter Worker Beckingham
Sarah E. Walker Daughter 13 Beckingham
Wilfred Walker Son 10 Beckingham
Mary Walker Daughter 7 Beckingham



IMAGE12a-07
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Stamford Mercury 11/02/1842
p. 2 cl7



IMAGE12a-08
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed May 1996
Negative 15
Orchard House, Beckingham.
Gable end of the barn viewed from High Street.



IMAGE12a-09
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Copied February 1994 from slide copied from original print.
Orchard House, High street, circa 1900, viewed from the south.



IMAGE12a-09
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed 24 March
Negative 3
Orchard House, High Street, 9th February 1992.
South west view from Mr H. Proudley’s garden.



IMAGE12a-10
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Photograph – Orchard House, High Street. 1996



IMAGE12a-10
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Doncaster Chronicle
June 21st 1956
Page 4.



IMAGE12a-11
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Woodbine Cottage, High street, Beckingham



IMAGE12a-12
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Mrs Joseph Watson, Wife of the founder of Beckingham Shipyard. Copied from a Photograph in the Village Institute.



IMAGE12a-13
(please click on the above text to view original image)



IMAGE12a-14
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Funeral of the late Mr Joseph Spencer Compton Watson, J.P. of Beckingham



IMAGE12a-15
(please click on the above text to view original image)
From Mrs Susan Edlington 10th February 2002
March 1934 Gainsborough News.



IMAGE12a-16
(please click on the above text to view original image)
From Mrs Susan Edlington 10th February 2002.
Gainsborough News March 1930.

ORCHARD HOUSE, HIGH STREET

1736 map. Homesteads 127, 1 acre 0 roods 27 perches, and 128, 1 acre 0 roods 13 perches. Both lettered n.

1767 William Flint of Byana, County of Stafford takes over from Thomas Lacey of Kirton the mortgage of John Bromhead’s property in Beckingham.

1777 map. A homestead of 2 acres 1 rood 39 perches, no 139 owned by William Flint. He, along with William and Robert Cross of Gringley, bought the Meynell Estate in Beckingham in1779.

1779 Valuation of Beckingham. At this time or later the property belonged to George Moody. It is obvious that William Flint lived here in 1779 and George Moody came later.

1779 October 6. Marriage Licence.
George Moody of Gringley on the Hill, 21 and Elizabeth Watson of Beckingham, spinster 20 at Beckingham.
Robert Moody senior and Robert Moody junior (bondsmen) both of East Retford, swore William Flint, lawful guardian of said Elizabeth, consented.

The property now rebuilt as Dunelm House, Mosley Yard once belonged to William Flint and then to George Moody.

Plaque in Church. George Moody died in 1818 aged 60. Elizabeth died in 1839 aged 81.

1832 Whites Directory :- Mrs Elizabeth Moody.

Brickwork. The outbuilding that butts up to the High Street has tumbled gables, is in East garden bond and has a pantile roof.

The main part of the house is built in Flemish Bond.

Circa 1886 orchard House was bought by Joseph Spencer Compton Watson who had recently moved his shipbuilding from Blackwall to Beckingham. He was born in Wesbury, Wiltshire, and aged 45 in 1891. His wife, Cornelia, was born in Newington and was 46 in 1891. The 1891 census shows that they were living at Chestnut House and George Pitwood was at Orchard House. It was probably at this time that alterations were made to the windows of the house. Two pairs of workmen’s cottages were built at the southern end of the property at around this time. Mr Watson died 30 August 1917 and the business was carried on first by his nephew and his nephew’s wife, and then their daughter, Norah until 1964.

The last Mrs Watson died aged 102 circa 1978 after which the house was sold to potato merchant Mr Jordon. Another house was built in the grounds in the 1980’s by the Du Feus and previous to that a bungalow was built. In 1994 the north east corner of the house adjoining Church Street was walled off and an access made to provide a building plot, but no progress had been made at Jan 1996. (New house built summer 1996.). The old maps indicate that there was once a house on this site which may have been the dwelling of Byron the Weaver. (Dubious).

The Watson’s may have moved into Orchard House by 1895 as they are given as living there by George Bee in his reminiscences. There does not appear to be a connection between these Watson’s and Mrs Moody nee Watson who lived here in the late 18th and early 19th century.
1932 Kelly’s:- Mrs Watson, Orchard House.

Electoral Register 1967 and 1970. Amy J. Watson and Norah Jessie Watson.

1993. There is still a pantiled building behind the bungalow mentioned above. This was a stable in what was Watson’s paddock. The west side of the block of houses on The Green, near the Recreation Room, was used by the Watson’s as a carriage house.

ORCHARD HOUSE, HIGH STREET

Census Returns

1831
Mrs Moody, 1 male, 4 females.

1841

Sarah Dunkin 55 Independent
Mary Dunkin 35
Reverend H. Oldfield 30 Clerk
Mary Bell 25 Female Servant
Joseph Makin 14 Male Servant
(In 1842 this property is advertised to be let, see news cutting)

1851 Census
Schedule 49

Charles Harwood Head Married 41 Agriculture Labourer West Burton, Nottinghamshire
Margaret Harwood Wife Married 42 South Anston, Yorkshire
Mary Jane Harwood Daughter 12 Scholar Welham, Nottinghamshire
(The above were probably caretakers. In 1861 he was living on Low Street, and described as an Agricultural Labourer and Primitive Methodist Local Preacher. In 1871 two Furley boys were lodged with Mrs Harwood on Low Street.)

1861 Census
Schedule 70 High Street

Henry Stockdale Head Married 43? Vicar of Bole Kingerby, Lincolnshire
Christine A. StockdaleWife Married 44 Burton on Humber
Henrietta Stockdale Daughter 13 Scholar Gringley on the Hill
Edward Stockdale Son 12 Scholar Gringley on the Hill
Christine Stockdale Daughter 9 Scholar Misterton
Henry Stockdale Son 8 Scholar Misterton
Maria Corringham Visitor Unm. 20 Landed Proprietor’s Daughter East Retford
Ada M. Corringham Visitor Unm. 18 Farmer’s Daughter Doddington,
Northants
Jane Leaning Servant Unmarried 25 Domestic servant Kilbank, Yorkshire
Mary Sutty? Servant Unmarried 18 Housemaid Scawby, Lincolnshire.

1871 Census
Schedule 65 Top Street

Mary Ann Furley(nee Cross) Head Widow 82 Warfinger Gringley
William N. Furley Son Married 45 Warfinger Gainsborough
Alice Furley Grandaughter Unmarried 21 Warfinger’s Grandaughter Morton
Mary M. Smalley Servant Unmarried 19 Housemaid Alton
Ellen W. Lambert Servant Unmarried 17 Cook Beckingham
( Two Furley boys are lodged at this date with Margaret Harwood at schedule 94, probably “Manor House” on Low Street.)

1881 This appears to be the unoccupied house between schedules 50 and 51.

1891 Census
Schedule 65, High street

George H. Pitwood Head M. 39 Shipwright Sandiland, Durham
Frances M. Pitwood Wife 37 Stepney, London
Ernest H. Pitwood Son 12 Scholar Bromley, London
Edwin Pitwood Son 5 Poplar, London
George Pitwood Son 3 Bromley, London
Jessie Pitwood Daughter 2 Beckingham, Nottinghamshire
Emily Pitwood Daughter 5 Months Beckingham Nottinghamshire

(Mr Joseph Watson was living at Chestnut House, Low Street in 1891 and must have moved to Orchard House at a later date. George Pitwood was one of his employees who later moved into one of the Watson houses on Low Street.)

1901 Census
Schedule 76, High Street

Clara Beckett Servant Single 66 Cook Domestic Worker Beckingham
Alice Bell Servant Single 17 Housemaid Worker West Stockwith.



IMAGE12a-17
(please click on the above text to view original image)
June 1973
Village News and Notes – copied from the Nottinghamshire countryside – winter 1945

ORCHARD HOUSE AND MEYNELL ESTATE

Extracts from abstract of title to Croft House are filed in Black Box file, and copies are of large documents relating to Meynell, Cross and Flint are in D.D.5

A transcription of John Bromheads mortgage with William Flint is filed with copies of other Croft House Deeds or in the Thistle Farm, Low Street section. See now in Cross and Flint box file.

Chauffeur/gardener William Ferguson McGlasham died 9th Oct 1970.

Mr Spencer Watson was alive in February 1956, see Children’s essay.
Died in 1962, May. Mentioned as late Mr Watson
Mrs Watson died Circa 1979 aged 100. Info. Mrs Jordan.

Miss Watson possibly cremated at Scunthorpe and her mother at Grimsby where the other daughter Mrs Kathleen Bloomer lived.

Mike Taylor mentions Colin Norman as manager of the Shipyard.

Lindsey Petty Sessions Settlement Examinations

James Hiley hired by George Moody of Beckingham to serve him from Mayday 1810 to Mayday 1811 as groundkeeper on a farm at West Burton. He is now chargeable to parish of Fillingham December 1834. See booklet of Beckingham marriages.



IMAGE12a-18
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Joseph Watson, founder of the Beckingham Shipyard. This is not his nephew Spencer Watson who succeeded him, he did not have a beard.

History Group Addition



IMAGE12a-19
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Home Farm, High Street, Circa 1975
Note the crow-stepped gable of the west end, and the doorway into the main part of the house.



IMAGE12a-19
(please click on the above text to view original image)

Developed August 1993.
Negative 15a
Mr and Mrs Geoff Proudley’s Home Farm, High Street, Beckingham. 1993.
Note new tiles and missing crowstepping of western half.



IMAGE12a-20
(please click on the above text to view original image)



IMAGE12a-21
(please click on the above text to view original image)
9th February 1992.
Developed March, Negative 2
Geoff Proudley’s Home Farm.
Showing the north side of the house and the adjoining timber framed building with north aisles.



IMAGE12a-21
(please click on the above text to view original image)
9th February 1992.
Developed February
Negative 20a
Home Farm, Beckingham.
This is the north side of the range of buildings on the south side of the farmstead. Stable on the left and granary over all.



IMAGE12a-22
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Copied and developed March 1997.
Negative 14
William Proudley at Home Farm. Beckingham.
Circa 1918.



IMAGE12a-22
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed April 1984.
Interior of timber-framed building at the west end of the house with an aisle on the north side. The newish brickwork encloses the present day kitchen.

HOME FARM, HIGH STREET

In 1736 this was part of Mrs Raworth’s Estate which was offered for sale at the Black Bull, Gainsborough on 22nd July 1740. The homestead of this farm is shown on Colbeck’s 1736 map Numbers 170 and 172, 2 acres 2 roods 16 perches and No. 156 on 1777 map 2 acres 2 roods 16 perches a Homestead, now known as Home Farm.

Most, if not all, of Mrs Raworth’s Estate, amounting to about 50 acres, was bought by the Chapter of Southwell. There was another farmstead included, now as The Spinney, and a cottage and small farm. It is probable that the tenants also had rights in the arable fields and on the common land.

Home Farm and The Spinney were later bought by Thomas Tong, but he did not buy the outlying fields. He increased the size of his estate after the enclosure award brought about the sale of some estates.

Home Farm was about 70 acres when sold in 1962 by C.R.A. Tong. See sale catalogue. But the tenant was the owner of the other land.

It is not clear as to whether or not Mrs Raworth was an absentee landlord. 1689 Nottinghamshire Subsides:- John Raworth was assessed at £7 16s. 0d, which was fairly high being 3 shillings more than that for Sir Thomas Williamson.

1885 map - pump near front of house.

Mr Tong appears to be the owner in 1842, see Teale Cottage deeds.

The west end of the house appears to have been originally timber framed. Some of the timbers are still in place in the coal house on the extreme left. This part also appears to have been intended as a pigeon cote, as the gable end was originally crow stepped and there are access holes in the gable end. There is however no indication that there were nesting boxes.

Edward Proudley was here in 1900, see Kelly’s

I think that it was in Ivy House deeds that I saw a document recording a transaction involving property, Edward Charles Cross of Kirton Lindsey to Edward Proudley. This was cottage (now Nether Cottage) and paddock. The paddock was retained by the Proudley’s but they sold the cottage to Mr Loker, signalman. Mr George Bee says Mr Taylor, farmer, lived here.

Electoral Roll 1833/1834 John Nettleship, House and Land, High Street.

The east end of the house has tumbled brickwork at the gable end. The back was once a catslide roof descending to one storey and the tumbling continues down to the original level but the lower back roof has been raised to give a flatter pitch to the lower section, so the lower tumbling is below the level of the tiles. The tumbled bricks no longer have a parapet. The pigeon cote was once crow stepped.

Both the main house and the lean to at the back of the main house have had the roof raised. The can be plainly seen at the roadside end, where the gables are now higher than the original tumbled brickwork. The front windows may have been made wider when the Yorkshire slide windows were replaced in the 1930’s. The brickwork at the front of the main house is Flemish with no header brick ornamentation. The east end is English Garden bond, but bonding is random where the chimney stack has been repaired. The back is English Garden up to the old level. The raised part is Flemish Garden. The Roof is pantiles.

The middle section of the house which is timber framed has been clad in English Garden bond brickwork using dark coloured header bricks to give ornamental banding. This part has lost the clay pantiles and the roof is now concrete tiles.

Mr and Mrs Geoffrey Proudley have a photograph of the house with William as a child of about 4 or 5, in the foreground. All the windows are 3 sash Yorkshire slides and the openings in the brickwork appear to be the same size as in 1997. William was born in 1902 so the picture can be dated around 1907. There were once two doorways (?) in the main part of the house, both are now, bricked in. Each door was to the left of a window and there was no central doorway. Does this indicate that it was once two cottages?

HOME FARM, HIGH STREET

Census Returns

Perhaps John Nettleship 2 males, 2 females.

1841 Census
Home Farm seems to have been uninhabited on census night, there are no Nettleships listed anywhere in the village.

1851 Census
Schedule 48 Beckingham

John Bradley Head married 33 Farmer 60 acres Cromwell Nottinghamshire labourer
Sarah Bradley Wife Married 29 Markham, Nottinghamshire
William Bradley Son 5 Markham
John Bradley Son 1 Markham
Maria Cocking Servant Unmarried 16 House Servant Markham
George Crowder Servant 14 Plough Boy Beckingham

1861 Census
Schedule 69 High Street

Richard Matthews Head Married 48 Farmer of 70 acres Somerby Near Brigg.
Sarah Matthews Wife Married 48 Farmer’s Wife Appleby
Thompson Matthews Son Un. 20 Farmer’s son Crosby
Elizabeth Matthews Daughter Un. 18 Farmer’s Daughter Crosby
Sarah Ann Matthews Daughter Un. 17 Farmer’s daughter Crosby
Harriet Matthews Daughter 14 Scholar Crosby
George Matthews Son 12 Scholar Crosby
William Matthews Son 9 Scholar Beckingham

1871 Census
Schedule 64 Top Street

Richard Matthews Head Married 58 Farmer of 60 acres Somerby
Sarah Matthews Wife Married 59 Farmer’s Wife Appleby
William Matthews Son Un. 19 Farmer’s Son Beckingham

1881 census
Schedule 51
Charles Nettleship Head Unmarried 29 Farmer of 60 acres 1 man Beckingham
Sarah Nettleship Mother Widow 60 Beckingham
(See Sarah at village shop, (now called centre point) in 1861 and 1871. They are both there in 1891).

1891 Census
Schedule 66 High Street

George Hird Head Married 34 Farmer (employer) Heapham, Lincolnshire
Fanny Hird Wife Married 30 Sheffield, Yorkshire
Nancy Foster Mother in law, Married 57 Northcliffe, Yorkshire
Henry Peck Servant Single 23 Farm servant Weston, Nottinghamshire
Emma Walker Servant Single 21 General servant, Domestic Beckingham

1901 Census
Schedule 77, High Street

Edward Proudley Head Married 30 Farmer Employer South Kelsy
Rosa A. Proudley Wife Married 30 Susworth
Gertrude E. Proudley Daughter 2 Beckingham
Alice Proudley Daughter 1 month Beckingham
John Clark Servant single 16 Horseman on Farm Beckingham Worker
Martha Harpham Servant single 16 General Domestic East Stockwith Servant



IMAGE12a-23
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Beckingham , Nottinghamshire, 1940 200% of part of 25 inch map.
Home Farm, High Street, Beckingham.
25 inch Ordinance Survey Map 200% enlargement.



IMAGE12a-24
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Stamford Mercury
July 1740. Page 4, column 1.



IMAGE12a-25
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed May 1996
Negative 16
Home Farm, High Street, Beckingham
Roadside end of house showing tumbled brickwork of earlier roof line of lean to.



IMAGE12a-25
(please click on the above text to view original image)
One of ten staddle stones at Home Farm, High Street, Beckingham, set amongst reused stone slabs from the threshing floor of the demolished barn.
Developed 4th October 2000.
Negative 14.

HOME FARM, HIGH STREET

ADDENDA

NOW KNOWN AS NO 51 HIGH STREET

The chapter of Southwell bought Mrs Raworth’s Estate in 1740. In their deeds of 1823 when the estate, late of Mrs Raworth is let to Pearts of Butterwick by the Chapter, this homestead number 156 is referred to as Finningley, was some member of that family a previous tenant?

The Home Farm homestead was originally 2 acres, 2 roods 16 perches. It seems likely that some was sold off in the 1930 decade to make way for Wileman Villas and the pair of semi detached houses facing High Street.

An Indenture of 22nd April 1830 made between the Chapter of Southwell and George Hodgkinson Barrow of Southwell leases Finningley Close with cottage and buildings there on to George Hodgkinson Barrow. The tenant heretofore being, John Mower, late Robert Storr, now Thomas Robinson , joiner.
Extract from Croft House Deeds.

PROUDLEY FAMILY OF BECKIINGHAM

They originated from the Lincolnshire family called Proudlove who changed their name.
Edward Proudley moved to Beckingham having got the tenancy of the Tong Estate aprt from the main house known as The Villa, on Low Street. Some of this land had previously belonged to the Chapter of Southwell and before that to Mrs Roeworth. He came from the Scotter area, his wife was a Day.
Edward Proudley moved into Home Farm on High Street and had four sons and several daughters. The eldest son William married Grace Askew and moved to Bole. The third son Percy lived with his wife on the Tong small holding on Croft House Lane and had a milk round besides livestock. Herbert married and moved into (second son) Tongs Rodney Farm but moved to Home Farm when his father died. Robert married and moved to Rodney Farm (youngest son) when Herbert moved out. Herbert died January 1979.

In 1962 the then owner of the Tong properties in Beckingham put the two farms up for auction at Gainsborough. Home Farm of 68.396 acres was bought by Herbert for £5,500.

Rodney Farm of 103.399 acres was bought by William Edward proudly of Bole for £7,000, on behalf of Robert. There was a suggestion that land would be sold for building and that the farm would eventually become Roberts. Soon afterwards William (Billy) died and the farm which was in his name was inherited by his sons David and Douglas and two daughters. Robert gave up the tenancy of the land on the understanding that he and his wife Alice would have the house and yard rent free until death. This left Roberts sons Michael and Richard with no farm and they both had to find other occupations.

Herbert and his son John ran Home Farm as a Dairy Farm but the land was scattered and they had to resort to zero grazing. Having purchased the farm they applied for building consent for houses on the paddocks between the farmstead and the bypass. This was granted and in 19** sold by auction to Richmonds, Builders of Retford. At the same time Proudleys were able to purchase a sizeable block of land which was auctioned for Richard Selby of Croft House farm. Proudleys erected a purpose built dairy farm and bungalow on this land calling it Walton Hills Farm, and John married and moved there. When Herbert moved into a new bungalow he had built in the paddock on the north side of Home Farm, his other son Geoffrey moved from the Crescent to Home Farm with Freda his wife. He is still farming there in 1998.

Richmond built an estate now called The Paddocks and The Grove.

After a few years John tired of Dairy farming and bought a sheep farm in Yorkshire, but the sale of Walton Hill farm took too long, causing financial difficulties which eventually resulted in the sheep farm having to be sold also Walton Hills farm which was bought by Henry Gourley.

Percy Proudley moved out of his cottage in 19** and this was the last of the Tong properties in Beckingham was sold to Zaccaria. Percy died in 1996. A new house has been built on the site in 1997.

The four daughters were:-

Gertrude who died a spinster in 1927 aged about 27.

Alice, also a spinster was housekeeper to Les Selby. Alice died in 1972.

Evelyn, who married Harry Howe.

Nora, who married Alan Lillie of Walkeringham.

Sons:-

Percy lived at Southfields, Milkroundsman, no family

Billy lived at Manor Farm, Bole. Sons David and Douglas and daughters Monica and Rosemary. Died in February 1964.

Herbert lived at Home Farm, sons Geoff and John. Died January 1979.

Bob lived at Rodney Farm. Sons Michael and Richard. Died 20th November 1973. HOME FARM

Some of the land, I hear, was sold off in 1996/1997

Most of the remaining land owned by the Proudleys Geoff and John was sold by auction by Drewery and Wheeldons on 11th May 1998.

SALE OF LAND

Lot 1 5304 1.28acres Strawberries
£3,100 Smithson

Lot2 5009 1.14 acres Raspberries and strawberries
£2,900

Lot 3 1408 14.00 acres Winter Wheat
£31,500 Smithson , Robert

Lot 4 3337 7.11 acres Winter Wheat
£16,800 Mason P.J.

Lot 5 0932 7.24 acres Winter Wheat
£21,000 Mason P.J

Lot 6 5543 1.62 Acres
£6,200

Lot 7 7500 4.98 acres
£13,000

Lot 8 0081 4.04
£18,600

Lot 9 4500 6.90 acres
£16,600

Lot 10 2400 12.16 acres
£30,00 Hill

HOME FARM, HIGH STREET

Since the sale of the farm land by Geoff and John Proudley on 11th may 1998 and the later sale of the farm implements; planning permission for the building of 8 houses has been obtained for the farmyard and sold to a builder, Gelder of Lincoln who cleared the site of all farm buildings in July and August 1999.

This farmstead had, and probably still has 10 stone staddle stones. Some still have the mushroom shaped capstones. Sanderson's homestead at the northern end of Low Street also once possessed similar stones but these were taken away by Sanderson's when they moved to West Burton.

HOMESTEAD BETWEEN BLACKSMITHS (Now Levicks) AND HOME FARM (Proudleys) ON NORTHERN END OF HIGH STREET.

House number 53.

In 1736 this was close number 175, a homestead of 2 roods.

In 1777 it was numbered 153, a homestead (Pigotts) of 2 roods 10 perches belonging to the Prebend of Beckingham and later leased to Robert Cross.
Hometead no 142 was also owned by the Prebend and later leased to Robert Cross, and probably tenanted by a Nettleship.
At some time a member of the Cross family must have bought both homesteads, for Edward Charles Cross sold in 1892 the two to Edward Proudley who sold 142, now called Nether Cottage to a Mr Loker, but retained the close number 153. a bungalow was later built on 153 for Herbert and Flore.
Proudley, son of Edward. No traces of an old house survive on this plot.

It would appear the Pigotts moved out of 153 into 142, now Nether Cottage, probably when Nettleships moved out of 142 and into Home Farm. See John Nettleship at Home Farm in 1831.

HOME FARM AND RODNEY FARM

These were parts of the estate of C.R.A. Tong, Esquire which was sold by auction by Henry Spencers of Retford at the White Hart, Gainsborough on 1st may 1962.
Home farm (68.396 acres) Lot 1, was bought by the tenant Herbert Proudley for £5,500.
Rodney Farm (103.399 acres) not generally known by this name, but the farmhouse was once The Rodney Inn, was bought by W.E. Proudley (Billy) of Bole for his brother Richard Proudley the tenant, for £7,000.
I understand Mr Tong was a relation of the Tongs who once lived in Beckingham at The Villa, now The Spinney.

The Farms seem to have been cobbled together from bits of land in all parts of the parish which belonged to at least 10 different people according to the enclosure award map of 1777.

The farmstead of Home Farm belonged in 1777 to the Prebend of Beckingham and the Chapter of Southwell. At some time land had been bought to make this into a farm. This land both new and old enclosure, belonged after the enclosure award to William Flint, Godfrey Meynells heirs, William Raven E. Finningley, Elizabeth Brough and John Hoggard.

(Enclosure map shows no house or buildings)
Rodney farm homestead was in 1777 part of the Meynell estate and the land which was eventually farmed with it had as various owners after the enclosure award Chapter of Southwell, George Morton, Thomas Waterhouse, John Hoggard and the Meynell Estate.
Without access to the deeds it is difficult to find if it was the Tong family or someone previously who constructed the farms. Both are greatly fragmented.

In the 1920’s and 1930’s Home Farm was farmed by Edward Proudley. He had four sons. The eldest, William Edward was somehow able to set up on his own at Manor farm, Bole.
Percy had a milk round and in 1995 is still alive. Herbert took over Home Farm when his father died. Herbert got the tenancy of Rodney Farm (which had once been farmed by Henry Emmerson) in 1935. he later moved to Home Farm when Robert married and moved to Rodney Farm.
Following the purchase of Home Farm by Herbert proudly, he was able to get planning consent for building houses on the paddock adjoining the stack yard, which was then sold, to Richmonds of Retford who then built the estate called The Paddocks and the Grove. On Herbert Proudley’s retirement the proceeds of the sale of the paddock were used to purchase a block of land when Richard Selby’s Croft House Farm was sold, and a new farmstead and bungalow was built thereon. Herbert's youngest son John, moved into the new farm which being in a ring fence was more suitable for diary farming, cutting out the zero grazing which had been necessary on the Home Farm.

(See timber framing inside what was perhaps a house, is now a wood shed and had crow stepped gable with pigeon holes, but no nesting boxes.)



IMAGE12a-26
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed January 1984
Home farm, High street, Beckingham
January 1884.
The left hand section has been retiled and the crow stepping removed from the gable end. The doorways into the main house has been blocked.



IMAGE12a-26
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed January 1984
Home Farm, High Street in 1984.
The western half of the house has been recently retiled and the crow stepping of the gable end removed. The end bay was perhaps meant to be a pigeon house but there are no next boxes inside.



IMAGE12a-27
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Retford Times
23rd June 1978



IMAGE12a-28
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Retford Times
October 18th 2001.

IMAGE12a-29 not found



IMAGE12a-30
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Copied from slide Black and White September 1993
Colour August 1993
Woodbine Cottage, High Street 1975.



IMAGE12a-31
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Retford Times
17th December 1998

WOODBINE COTTAGE, HIGH STREET

1736 A homestead, part of 172 and 170 owned by Mrs Raworth. 2 acres 2 roods 16 perches. Advertised in Stamford Mercury to be sold 10th July 1740, see news cutting.

1777 A homestead, part of 156 owned by Chapter of Southwell. 2 acres 2 roods 16 perches.

J. Webster who was here in 1871 was previously at Westfields and was most likely related to the Websters of Fretwell Farm, of Charity Farm, of Rodney Farm and of the Grocers Shop, all of whom were born at Cottam.

Circa 1895 George Bee gives John Webster, cow keeper as occupant.

Percy Proudley gives occupants as Ball; then Spinley who worked for Ranby at Croft House farm; and then for Watsons who rebuilt the cottage; then Dick Parr.

Fred Gosling says the above mentioned Spinley more or less ran Ranby’s farm.

Herbert Proudley said that the place was a ruin in the early part of the 20th century and reputed to be haunted, and a sleeping place for tramps. Children did not loiter here on their way home from school. Mrs Watson of Orchard House bought it and rebuilt as a small cottage, see photograph. Circa 1990 it was demolished and a bungalow built on the site.

1967 and 1970 Electoral Registers:- Dick and Clarice Parr.

Thomas Robinson married Mary Bromhead at Beckingham, 20th November 1816.
See census returns

Woodbine Cottage replaced by a bungalow, Number 45 High Street.

WOODBINE COTTAGE, HIGH STREET

Census Returns
1831
Thomas Robinson 2 male, 2 female
(A Thomas Robinson married Mary Brumhead 20th November 1816)

1841

Thomas Robinson 50 Millwright
Mary Robinson 45
Hanson Robinson 20
Sarah Robinson 20
Thomas Matthews 15 A.P.

1851 Census
Schedule 47 Beckingham

Thomas Robinson Head Married 61 Wheelwright(Master) Beckingham
Mary Robinson Wife Married 57 Beckingham
Sarah Robinson Daughter Unmarried 31 Beckingham

(Hanson is at Limes Cottage in 1851)

1861 Census
Schedule 68, High Street

Thomas Robinson Head Married 71 Carpenter (Master) Beckingham
Mary Robinson Wife Married 66 Carpenter’s wife Beckingham
Sarah Robinson Dau. Unmarried 39 Carpenter’s Daughter Beckingham and house attendant

1871 Census
Schedule 63 Top Street

John Webster Head married 81 Cottage farming 10 acres Laughterton
Elizabeth Webster Wife Married 78 Bole
John Webster Son 40 Agriculture Labourer Beckingham
Eliza Webster Dau. Married 37 Agriculture Labourers wife Lea
Thomas Webster Grandson 13 Scholar Beckingham
Fanny Webster Grandaughter 10 Scholar Beckingham
Mary Eliza Webster Grandaughter 6 Scholar Beckingham
(John senior gives Cottam as his birth place on 51 and 61 returns.)

1881 Census
Schedule 52

John Webster Head Married 50 Farmer of 9 acres Beckingham
Eliza Webster Wife Married 47 Lea, Lincolnshire
Fanny Webster Daughter Unmarried 20 Beckingham
Mary E. Webster Daughter Unmarried 16 Beckingham
(The Websters were at Westfields, High Street in 1861.)

1891 Census
Schedule 67, High Street

John Webster Head Widow 60 Cottager Beckingham
Fanny Webster Daughter Single 31 Housekeeper Beckingham
Mary Webster Daughter Single 25 Beckingham
Thomas Webster Grandson 4 Beckingham

PURCHASE OF WOODBINE COTTAGE
4th February 1898

By Joseph Spencer Compton Watson of Beckingham, Barge Builder for £50 from Fanny Higgins, wife of George Higgins of Upper Street, Beckingham, Labourer, and Mary Eliza Webster of Upper Street Beckingham, Spinster.

John Webster farmer their father died 4th December 1897, intestate , leaving his two a/m daughters as coheiresses at law. These two and only daughters have agreed to sell their fathers hereditament held in fee simple to Joseph Spencer Compton Watson for £50

Description of premises:- Dwelling House and Buildings on Upper Street being a portion of the plot of 0.894 acres.

Ordinance Survey number 274.

The other part of the Ordinance Survey 274 lies on the south side of the above holding and is in 2001, number 43 High Street.



IMAGE12a-32
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Woodbine Cottage
High Street, Beckingham



IMAGE12a-33
(please click on the above text to view original image)



IMAGE12a-34
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Copied 1986
Northern end of High Street from F. Gosling’s postcard.



IMAGE12a-34
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed 18th June 1996
Negative 18
Northern end of High street, seen before the two cottages in Mosley yard lane were demolished.
Copied from Mrs Proudley’s Postcard.



IMAGE12a-35
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Copied September 1993
Negatives 20a or 21a and 17a



IMAGE12a-35
(please click on the above text to view original image)
John Thompson’s Cottage, High Street.
Copied from Mr and Mrs Fred Gosling’s photographs.
This was occupied by John Thompson in the 19th century. Occupied by Mr Storr in the first half of the 20th century, whose daughter Annie married Mr Fred Gosling.
Now a bungalow, 43 High Street.

HOMESTEAD, Now 43 HIGH STREET

1736 Map, Homestead, number 169, 0 acres 1 rood, 35 perches, lettered e, owner William Burton

1777 Map. Homestead, number 157, 0 acres, 1 rood 24 perches, owner T Duckle.

1866 Tithe Book – Occupier John Thompson, owners Duckle Baines family.

George Bee seems to have omitted this from his reminiscences of circa 1895

Percy Proudly says Mrs Thompson and Mrs Bagshaw lived here.

Alwin Ingall says Store was here.

The cottage was demolished and a bungalow built further from the road circa 1970 by Mr and Mrs Fred Gosling.
At the old cottage, roof water was collected into a tank at the south end from whence it tended to run under the adjoining floor. The cottage faced High Street and was on the west side of the road.

Mrs Fred Gosling died March 1998 (Annie). She was a Storr.
Fred Gosling sold the bungalow November 2001, and moved to Hawthorn Close, Number 1.

HOMESTEAD, Now 43 HIGH STREET

Census Returns
1831
Probably Thomas Hill , 1 male, 2 females. (Probably Thomas, wife Gertrude and daughter Hannah.)

(A Thomas Hill married Gertrude Thursby at Beckingham 14th May 1797. His widow Gertrude and perhaps their daughter Hannah are shown on the 1841 census as below.)

1841
John Thompson 20 Agriculture Labourer
Hannah Thompson 30
Thomas Thompson 1
Gertrude Hill 65 Pauper

1851 Census
Schedule 46

John Thompson Head Married 33 Agriculture Labourer Hull, Yorkshire
Hannah Thompson Wife Married 44 Beckingham
Thomas Thompson Son 11 Scholar Beckingham
Edward Thompson Son 8 Scholar Beckingham
John Thompson Son 6 Scholar Beckingham
Mary Jane Thompson Daughter 3 Scholar Beckingham
Sarah Thompson Daughter 3 Weeks Beckingham

1861 Census
Schedule 67 High Street

John Thompson Head Married 41 Shepherd Hull, Yorkshire
Hannah Thompson Wife Married 52 Farmer’s Work? Beckingham
Thomas Thompson Son Unmarried 21 Scholar Beckingham
Mary Jane Thompson Daughter Unmarried 17 Scholar Beckingham
Sarah G. Thompson Daughter 10 Scholar Beckingham

1871 Census
Schedule 62 Top Street
John Thompson Head Married 51 Shepherd Saundby, Nottinghamshire
Hannah Thompson Wife Married 63 Beckingham
Thomas Thompson Son Unmarried 31 Agriculture Beckingham Labourer
Mary Jane Thompson Daughter Unmarried 23 General Beckingham Domestic Servant (out of employment)
Sarah H. Thompson Grandau. Unmarried 9 Scholar Beckingham
Walter Thompson Grandson 3 Scholar Beckingham

1881 Census
Schedule 53

John Thompson Head Married 63 Agriculture Labourer Saundby
Hannah Thompson Wife Married 74 Beckingham
Sarah Thompson Grandaughter 19 Servant (out of situation) Beckingham
Walter Thompson Grandson 13 Scholar Beckingham
Thomas Thompson Great Grandson 6 months Beckingham

1891 Census
Schedule 68 High Street, 4 rooms.

John Thompson Head Widow 77 Agriculture Labourer Saundby
Sarah Thompson Grandaughter Single 28 Beckingham
Tom Thompson Grandson 10 Scholar Beckingham

1901 Census
Schedule 78, High Street, 4 rooms.

John Thompson Head Widow 86 Retired farm Labourer Saundby
Mary J. Bagshaw Daughter Widow 53 House Keeper Beckingham Domestic
Sarah H. Thompson Daughter Single 39 Charwomen Worker Beckingham



IMAGE12a-36
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed August 1993
Negative 24a
Mr and Mrs Fred Gosling’s Bungalow, High Street, Beckingham.
August 1993.
Built to replace John Tompson’s cottage.



IMAGE12a-37
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed October 1993
Negative 24
Photographed 1993, two pairs of houses on High Street, built by Joseph Watson for shipyard Workers.
The Northern pair are of yellow brick, the others are concrete.
A similar pair were near Crown Farm.



IMAGE12a-37
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed 1st September 1994.
Negative 24
30th August 1994.
Six Houses built by Mr Joseph Watson of Beckingham. Trent Road for shipyard workmen.
Built circa 1900.

SHIPYARD WOKERS HOUSES ON HIGH STREET

One line per person if possible:-

1901 Census
Schedule 80 High Street

William Woodiviss Head Married 52 Blacksmith Shipyard Worker Stretford, Essex
Sarah Woodiviss Wife Married 51 Blackwell,London
Sara M. Woodiviss Daughter Single 28 Certified School Mistress Poplar, London
Walter H. Woodiviss Son Single 21 Joiner Cabinet Marker Worker Bromley, London

Schedule 81
High Street

William Overend Head Married 46 Boiler maker Worker Skipton, Yorkshire.
Fanny Overend Wife Married 42 West Stockwith, Nottinghamshire
John W. Overend Son Single 18 Ships Plater Worker Gainsborough, Linconshire
Albert Overend Son 14 Office Boy Shipyard Worker Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
Fanny Overend Daughter 12 Gainsborough
Gertrude Overend 9 Gainsborough
Ruth Overend Daughter 6 Beckingham
Stanley Overend Son 4 Beckingham
Gladys Overend Daughter 1 Beckingham

Schedule 82
High Street

George F. Sanders Head Married 27 Coachman, Gardener, Domestic Worker Upper Houghton, Bedfordshire
Sarah Sanders Wife Married 27 Dunstable, Bedfordshire
Walter H. Sanders Son 3 Upper Houghton, Bedfordshire
William B. Sanders Son 1 Upper Houghton, Bedfordshire

Schedule 83
High Street

James R. Skeet Head Married 49 Commercial Shipyard Clerk Worker Addlestone, Surrey
Edith H. Skeet Wife Married 42 Portsmouth, Hants?
Gertrude Skeet Daughter Single 19 School Teacher Worker India
John Skeet Son 16 Engine Fitter Worker India
Gwendeline Skeet Daughter 14 School Teacher Worker India
Oliver Skeet Son 8 Beckingham
Basil Skeet Son 5 Beckingham

HOUSES ON HIGH STREET FOR SHIPYARD EMPLOYEES

From South to north the occupants were:-

First pair (1) Mr Skeet, timekeeper at the Shipyard

(2) Mr Goodwright, worker at the Shipyard ( From Mr George Bee recollections of the early 1890’s)

Second Pair (3) Mr Pitwood, yard foreman at the Shipyard

(4) Mr Woodiviss, Worker at the Shipyard

The northern pair were built of yellow brick, the other pair were of concrete, according to Fred Gosling. A similar pair of houses were built on the Trent Bank on the north of and next to Crown Farm. This latter pair has since been demolished. These houses occupy the southern end of what was once William Flint’s Homestead. See Orchard House.

They are now numbered, South to North, 54,56,58,60. or North to South 60, 58,56,54.

Rebecca Pitwood was buried at Beckingham on 30th March 1895 aged 81.

1891 Census
Schedule 99 High Street, 4 rooms

Perhaps
Edward Exton Head Married 34 Agriculture Labourer Osgodby, Lincolnshire.
Harriet A. Exton Wife Married 28 Heckdyke
James Exton Son 6 Scholar Beckingham
Sarah J. Exton Daughter 4 Scholar Beckingham
Tom H. Exton Son 2 Beckingham
William Exton Son 1 Beckingham

1901 Census
Schedule 109, High Street

John S. Lamb Head Widow 59 Farmer Employer Wheatley
Percy C. Lamb Son Single 22 Farmer’s Son Worker Bole
Mable Bingham Servant Single 17 General Servant Domestic Worker Gainsborough



IMAGE12a-38
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed August 1993.
Negative 25a
Ravenscroft, High Street, Beckingham

RAVENSCROFT, HIGH STREET

1736 Map – Homestead 168, 1 rood, 32 perches and the Home Close number 171.

1777 Homestead 158, 1 acre and 3 perches of Sarah Goodman. She also owned number 174 of 1 acre 38 perches adjoining Ravenscroft Lane. It continued in her ownership after the Enclosures.

It is doubtful that this was ever Raven’s croft.

1885 Map shows a pump at the rear of the cottage.

Circa 1895 George Bee says the occupant was Mr Sherratt, groom gardener for Mr Watson whom he drove to the Shipyard in a pony and trap, varied occasionally by four wheeled carriage.

Alwin Ingall says it was Fowler’s Farm.

Percy Proudley:- Bill Berry.

Oliver Bosley:- William Berry his grandfather was here, he also worked at the mill and lived there. Later he lived at Holme House. Tuplin also lived at Ravenscroft.

Ernest Johnson:- Fowler was here, followed by his son in law, Tuplin.

1967 Sidney A. Barton and his wife Joan P.M. were here.

1970 Alec and Rene Jones were here.

Gainsborough News Advert 2 October 1953.
“Ravenscroft, Cottage with cow houses for two, loose boxes, pig sties, steam house, poultry houses, glass house. 2 grass and arable closes totalling 3 acres 2 roods 20 perches”. The occupier was Tuplin; the purchaser was R.A. Wilson of Rampton.

RAVENSCROFT , HIGH STREET

Census Returns

1831
William Robinson, 1 male, 2 females
(A wheelwright in the 1832 Directory, and likely to be the husband of Elizabeth and father of Mary and Samuel.)

1841

Elizabeth Robinson 85 Wheelwright
Mary Robinson 50
Samuel Robinson 45 (There was a Samuel on Low Street in 1831)
William Robinson 12
Elizabeth Robinson 8
(Perhaps related to Thomas Robinson at Woodbine Cottage, wheelwright, and to Hanson Robinson, wheelwright at Limes Cottage North.)

1851Census
Schedule 45 Beckingham

Samuel Robinson Head Widow 50 Carpenter(Journeyman) Beckingham
Sarah A. Robinson Daughter Unmarried 23 Beckingham
Mary Robinson Sister 66 Housekeeper Beckingham

1861 Census
Schedule 66 High Street

Enoch Maltby Head Married 41 Cattle Deeler Ingham, Lincolnshire
Ann Maltby Wife Married 44 Beckingham

1871 Census
Schedule 61 Top Street

Charles Johnson Head Married 67 Agriculture Labourer Beckingham
Charlotte Johnson Wife Married 63 Retford
William Johnson Grandson 10 Scholar Beckingham

1881 Census
Schedule 54 High Street

Charles Johnson Head Married 77 Farmer of10 acres Beckingham
Charlotte Johnson Wife Married 74 Retford

1891 Census
Schedule 69 High Street

John Sherratt Head Married 48 General Labourer North Wheatley
Sarah J. Sherratt Wife Married 44 Ranskill

1901 Census
Schedule79, High street

William Berry Head Married 39 Farmer Own Acc. Beckignham
Rose A. Berry Wife Married 32 Northampton
Percy W. Berry Son 7 Beckingham
Oliver E. Berry Son 2 Beckingham



IMAGE12a-39
(please click on the above text to view original image)
One time School and School House 1997.
Belonged to the Church and used as Church Hall. The schoolmaster’s house was occupied at this time by Mr R. Wright, the Caretaker.



IMAGE12a-39
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed August 1993.
Negative 23a
Once the Schoolmaster’s House, High Street.
Schoolroom and House belong at this date to Mr R. Wright. The date stone of the schoolroom has been lost but would be marked about 1855.



IMAGE12a-40
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Beckingham National school
Sometime Between 1855 and 1901 when it closed and the children moved to the Board School.

NATIONAL SCHOOL AND SCHOOLHOUSE, HIGH STREET, BECKINGHAM

This was built in 1854 according to Whites Directory of 1864. Building had commence when the 1851 census return was made, and the deeds start in 1855 says Mr Wright the occupier in the 1990s. It was built on land which in 1736 was a homestead number 130 of 0 acres 1 rood 22 perches belonging to Littleton Meynell, and in 1777 was number 134 of 0 acres 1 rood 22 perches, a homestead or cottage belonging to the vicar.

Recorded in the Town’s Book for Beckingham is the following:- “It was agreed at Vestry held by appointment at Mr Credland’s the 9th day of April 1798 that a School House shall be built by subscription and if the said subscription shall fall short of defraying all the expenses of building the said school that the said expenses shall be paid out of the Poor Lay by the overseers of the poor”. Signed “ J Stephenson, Robert Cross, Joseph Cliff, Thomas Johnson, Barzillai Parkin, George Quiball, Jonathon Cridland, George Brumhead.”

It is not clear as to what building was used as a school between 1798 and 1854 but a school must have existed from as early as 1731 when James Wharton formed his Charity. He left Charity Farm with 40 acres of land in Beckingham and Saundby, then let for £40, to the trustees of the Free Grammar School of Gainsborough. (See Stark’s History of Gainsborough) Out of this the trustees had to pay £5 to the Minister and Churchwardens and Overseers of Beckingham, to clothe and teach five poor children of the parish. Until 1803 the Overseers of the poor of Beckingham had been content with £5 per anum but due to increased land rents they became dissatisfied and their case was taken to the Court of Chancery. A new scheme was drawn up by the Master of the Rollls on 15 August 1841 whereby Beckingham would receive £12.10.0 out of the increased annual rent of £100. In future Beckingham would receive one eighth part of any higher of lower rental income. The tenant at that time was Mr Walker (John).

The walls of the school house are 3 brick thick, as no doubt, are the school walls. The school room was originally one large room where 90 children of all ages were taught by the master and a pupil teacher. See the log books.

In 1811 it was decided at a Vestry meeting that in future 10 poor children should be educated instead of the 5 or 6 who previously were educated and clothed.

In 1824 at the; 19th April Vestry Meeting the following:-
“Agreed on the above day that the rents arising from the Poor Dole shall be annually expended in the following order, viz. Two poor children shall be put to School and taught to read at Four Shillings per quarter and the remainder shall be equally divided amongst the poor widows who have a legal Settlement in the Parish. A list of the Widows shall be annually exhibited on Easter Monday”.

Signed “John Cross, Thomas Dawson, Robert Storr, Gervas Gamson, George Kidney and George Brumhead.”

The log books for this school are lodged with Nottinghamshire Archives. Extracts are in the School File.

George Bee recorded in his memoirs that in winter, concerts were held in the schoolroom, to raise funds for Church, Chapel, or Cricket or Football clubs etc,. He does not make it clear, but I think he was referring to this school, not the 1901 school. Mr Bee goes on to mention the “bitter feelings aroused over whether the old village school should be enlarged out of public rates or a new school should be built. The old school was and is the property of the Church of England people, so a poll of the inhabitants was taken on “Church V Chapel” and resulted in a win for the chapel and a School Board was formed. A new school was then built (1901) and is now known as the County School (1959).”

Electoral registers 1967 and 1970, Old school House, Wright, Raymond and Violet O.

After the new school was opened, the old school became the Church Hall and was used for numerous functions until sold off in Circa 1975 to Mr Wright the resident caretaker. The large garden at the back is still owned by the church who are said, for some reason, to be unable to sell it. There is a well in the South East corner of the front garden of the house. The pump has been removed.

NATIONAL SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

Census Returns
1851 Beckingham between schedule 44 and 45
One House Building
(Mr Wright the owner-occupier in 1993 says the deeds start in 1855).

1861 Census
High Street, Schedules 64 and 65

Ann E. Kay Head Widower 38 Schoolmistress Lincoln
Thomas Peart Lodger Unmarried 21 Certificated schoolmaster Gainsborough

1871 Census
Top Street, Schedule 60

David Garrod Head Unmarried 25 Schoolmaster(National School) Halstead, Essex

1881 Census
High Street, school Building, schedule 55

George C Ward Head married 23 Elementary teacher Lincoln
Harriet Ward Wife Married 23 Lincoln
Edgar O. Ward Son 6 months Beckingham

1891 Census
High Street, National School, Schedule 70.

George Ward Head Married 33 Lincoln
Harriet Ward Wife Married 33 Lincoln
Edgar O. Ward Son 10 Scholar Lincoln
Bertram C. Ward Son 7 Scholar Beckingham
Marguerite Ward Daughter 4 Scholar Beckingham
Violet E. Ward Daughter 1 Beckingham

1901 Census
Schedule 84, High Street, National School.

William W. Arthur Head Married 28 Certified Elementary Bristol, Teacher Worker Gloucestershire
Amy M. Arthur Wife Married 29 Certified Elementary Bristol teacher Gloucestershire
Leslie W. Arthur Son 1 Beckingham
Lizzie G. Brown Servant Single 16 General Servant Nettleton. Domestic Worker

EXTRACTS FROM BECKINHAM SCHOOL LOG BOOK

2nd March 1863 to 25th October 1892

These extracts are from the Log Book of The National School built 1854 and used as a school until replaced by The Board School in 1901.

1863

3rd March Gainsborough Market. Several boys have to attend with beast.
4th March Otter absent with his father amongst sheep.
Milburn half day.
6th March Had to cane Brocklesby severely.
23rd March A few off this week picking twitch.
1st April All Fools Day. School inspected by Reverand Barry. 42 children present.
13th April More Children absent at the rods (Osiers)
8th May Osier harvest finished today.
14th May Afternoon nearly all absent at the Rod Feast.
8th July Agreed that a general rise of 1d. a child per week be made.
16th July Visited by Miss Watson
30th Sept Mr Druit finished as Headmaster
1st Oct Mr Peart started as Headmaster.

1865

18th Dec Mr Sharp commenced as Headmaster.
Number very limited – only 7.

1866

2nd July May children away. Busy in hayfields.
13th Nov Punished John Green for inducing John Relf to bathe.
14th Nov Very much annoyed with the children so many of them suffering from whooping cough.
20th Dec Great many away today helping their parents who are killing pigs for Christmas.

1867

4th April Thomas Gurnhill poorly.
5th April Very much shocked at hearing of death of Thomas Gurnhill who was at school on Wednesday, 3rd of April.
1st July Very small attendance. Several at Gringley Feast, many others busy at the hay.
25th Dec Christmas Day. Whole Holiday. Children attended church twice.
26th Dec Small attendance. Order good.

1868

1st Jan Elizabeth and John Green absent at a juvenile party.
2nd Jan Punished George Spittlehouse for playing truant.
20th March Several of the children allowed to attend a sale of Mr Barnes farming implements, consequently school is thin – order good.
26th March Preparing to start rod (sic), causes many children to be absent. (pilling).
6th April Great falling off in numbers, working in the fields and at the Rod Hold. Order fair, C. Morris and H. Waterfield broke the school windows with a ball.
25th May Caned W. Bromhead for laughing.
8th June Admitted Fanny Pask. F.P. cannot do arithmetic and she is 13 years of age.
30th June Several absent yesterday, went to Sheffield by cheap excursion.
20th July Harvest commenced this morning and children in the fields.
9th Sept Several absent at Doncaster races.
8th Dec Betsy Webster died this morning of the measles.

1869

3 March Sharp frost caused children to write badly on account of the cold.
4 March Coal money collected this week
5 July Numbers very small, great many hay making, Parkin absent for the week helping in Dickinson’s place at Sir Joseph Rudsdell’s.
13 Dec Gringley Fair keeps several absent.

1870

10 Feb W&C hall taking a pig to Wheatley
14 April Mr Hill complained to Master that discipline was too severe.
13 May Caned Henry Waterfield for idleness in his home lesson.
24 May Punished 16 boys for remaining in the cricket field after 9 o’clock.
1 June Half holiday in consequence of birth of a son to Col. and Mrs Richards by Rev. Hobsons request.
29 Nov Punished William Johnson and William Hempseed for running after the fox hounds instead of being at school.
1 Dec Sidney Fotherby kept without his dinner for stealing an orange out of a boy’s pocket.
6 Dec Discipline bad, had to cane several and kept the whole school in until 5 0’clock.

1871

1 March Mrs Parkinson considered Charlotte was too young to learn tables but Master thought otherwise and therefore enforced the rule, the child being 8 years old.

1872

3 Jan Half holiday on account of tea being given in the school room for the tenants of the Duckle Estate, on the occasion of the marriage of Miss Duckle.
12 April Circular swing erected in the playground.

1874

10th July Today and yesterday the weather has been extremely – so hot that I was obliged to sprinkle the floor with water. Today 100 in the shade. 14 July Punished Eliza Lambert for inattention, therefore her mother says she shall leave the school. 1886 3 May Beginning of school year. On books 69 admitted Fred Beckitt
13 Aug Jesse Rousel and Bertha Cooper make no progress in reading. Both very dull children. The average attendance is very poor. With 71 scholars on the books we should get more than 45 in attendance – yet for the past 6 weeks this is the number, equal to 26 away every day.
15 Oct Began finer this morning.

1887

4 Feb Have had to warn several boys about the use of catapults, two or three of the instruments of a very strong description, having made their appearance this week.
17 Feb Percy Selby, a big lad, continues to give considerable trouble, his behaviour is of the most ridiculous character.
10 Oct Walnut Stealing. The following boys have received warning as to future offences in Mr Speights orchard. Charles Ranshaw, Tom Atkinson, Walter Belton, George Bailey and John Bailey. The owner threatens to take them to Retford. Master has told Ranshaw that if any other complaints of him (Ranshaw) reach the school he will be turned out.
13 Oct School attendance officer called. The attendance was poor, caused by a wet day. The state of the roads is so bad that parents do not care to send their children out. Beckingham possesses no pavement to speak of, not even a sidewalk, as the children have to trudge through water and mud we are not surprised at poor attendance under the circumstances. School song “The clouds that wrap the setting sun.”

1888

20 Aug Slightly improved attendance, the hay harvest being about finished. Hay time about here is more important than the corn harvest, and a good hay trade is carried on with Sheffield and Bradford.

1889

26 April Fires stopped.

1890

20 May Rev. D. Hooke visited and distributed the following prizes given by Mr Watson.
John Goodridge for attendance - Robinson Crusoe
Fred Clarke for attendance - A peep Behind the Scenes
Florence Norman for attendance - A voyage in the Sunbeam
Mabel Rousell for attendance - Story of a Tramp
Harold Hill for attendance - A large drawing slate
Alice Ball for attendance ` - A puzzle box
Emily Wells for needlework - A large work box
Julia Cooper for needlework - A small work box
Arthur Rousell for writing and drawing – Russia leather writing case
Edgar Ward for writing - Russia leather writing case.

Given by Mrs Hooke
Nellie Walker for knitting - Beautiful case of knitting pins
Emily Banwell extra prize from Mrs Watson – Log Hut to White House.

1 Aug I saw one of the parents of a girl attending this school, and who for several years attended the Dame School in this village. In speaking of the girl being backward the parent frankly admitted that the Dame School business had been a mistake but that it enabled the parent to keep the girl at home whenever it was thought necessary. Of course the parents here know that nominal attendance at the Dame School is all that is necessary and take full advantage of it as the streets daily prove.

8 Dec Fred Wilkinson left this school, May 16th 1890. He passed in Standard 4 then attended Gringley School where he was kept in Standard 4 and has not been taught any Standard 5 work. Returned here December 8th totally unprepared and giving me 4 months to prepare him for Standard 5.

Ada Mills 7 years old entered for an indefinite period. Just come to England from America. Knows her letter but cannot read or write – entered with infants.

1891

8 May Extract form school inspection by J. H. Davies.
Number present Boys 59 Girls 33. Absent 4.
Population Grant (492 inhabitants) Lost it.
A candidate as P.T. would have gained it.

26 Aug The above meeting of managers and parents decided to accept the Fee Grant from September 1st 1891 for all scholars from between the ages of 3 and 15. Scholars from Saundby to be treated equally to scholars from the parish of Beckingham.

28 Aug School closed for harvest holidays at 11.40. 4 weeks vacation. Gave notice that the school would be free when re-opened.

30 Sept It is stated that the education department has just decided that the education Act does not provide for the payment of the Fee grant of 10/- on the attendance of scholars who have passed the Seventh Standard. (Yorkshire Post, spt. 29th 1891).

1892

20 May` Many away this week owing to servants leaving.

23 Dec Closed for one weeks holiday. During holiday six desks have been fixed on blocks rendering them firmer. Mr Watson has kindly borne the expense.

1893

12 June The Master needs some more efficient help to teach 92 children in seven standards with an average of 66 than a monitor.
The infants have increased in number, and their cramped position in the corner of the main room makes effective teaching well nigh impossible. I trust the classroom for them will be provided with as little delay as possible.

16 Oct Received notice that William Lawrence has been removed to the Workhouse.

1894

16 March The 'delicate boy’ still flourishes. Every week I hear of him. He is unable to attend school as he is continually poulticed for a weak chest or some other equally interesting complaint. Fetching cows, tenting and even digging the garden are the real complaints.

1896

17 Dec Slight shock of Earthquake experienced in the vicinity. People startled in Gainsborough by the ringing of house bells, noise of crockery and shaking of furniture. Many clocks were stopped.

LIST OF MASTERS OF BECKINHAM NATIONAL SCHOOL

Information from Log Books

Name Started Finished

Mr Thomas Druit 30th September 1863
Mr Peart 1st October 1863
Mr John J. Sharp 18th December 1865 1871
Mr D. Garrod 27th March 1871 9th August 1871
Mr John J. Sharp 10th August 1871 (Temp.) 18th august 1871
Mr Charles Banks 30th October 1871 9th April 1874 Dismissed by the managers
Mr Allan Ballinger 20th April 1874 18th December 1874

No entries in Log Book

Mary H Wrigley 3rd March 1876 25th July 1879

T.C.G. Horn 8th September 1879 19th September 1879 Resigned in consequence of ill health.
Mr George C. Ward 13th October 1879 28th January 1879
Record discontinued.

Edmund Stovin was probably the master of an earlier school (see census).
William W. Arthur was master of the new Board School in 1908 (Kelly’s Directory).



IMAGE12a-41
(please click on the above text to view original image)
From Maurice Briggs original
Copied in Retford Times



IMAGE12a-42
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed 5th July 1984
High Street Letter box between the Old School and Westfeilds on High Street.
The kissing gate is at the west end of the footpath that leads to the church.



IMAGE12a-42
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed January 1993.
Negative 1
Levicks, Westfields, high street
November 1992.



IMAGE12a-43
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Negative 10
Westfeilds House, High street
February/March 1993.



IMAGE12a-43
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Negative 23.
Westfields barn
October 1992

WESTFEILDS FARM, HIGH STREET

1736 map, owner Thomas Hall, letter b.
Homestead, number 130, 1 rood, 19 perches, Home Close, number 132, 1 acre 3 roods
32 perches.

1777 enclosure map, a homestead of Thomas Waterhouse’s.
Enclosure 133, 2 acres 3 roods 11 perches.

It was once a farmstead ( now a yard for liquid transport wagons) with a row of horse and cattle buildings running from the road along the southern boundary of the yard to the threshing barn set at right angles to the livestock buildings. Only the barn remains of the old brick and pantile buildings. The barn floor was probably of flagstones in the central threshing area but is now of concrete. The paddock at the back of the yard adjoins Gill Lane.

The 1885 map shows a pump in the yard.

Kelly’s 1900 – Sidwell, Robert, farmer

The house appears to have been partly rebuilt at some time. The back is built of 2 ½ inch bricks but the front has 3 inch bricks.

Mr O Harrison said the next occupant after R. Sidwell was a Mr Kirby, but Mr George Bee said it was Mr Corringham circa 1895. Mr Harrison also said that Mr Sidwell bought Clayworth Woodhouse from the Andersons of Lea, which on his death passed to his daughter, the wife of Dr Pinder.

Alwin Ingall says that a Mr Firth was here, then Mr Meredith

Some time after World War II, it was bought by Frank Levick and his son Norman Levick lived there. They started a transport business carrying whey from Barton’s cheese factory which gradually expanded into other forms of liquid transport. It is now occupied by Martin Levick, son of Norman, who has moved to a new bungalow he built on the Gringley Road property after his father died.

WESTFIELDS FARM, HIGH STREET

The extent of the old farmyard buildings can be seen on the ordinance survey 25 inch map of 1940. There was a row of brick and pantile buildings on the southern boundary, backing on to the gardens in front of the Limes Cottages. These ran up to the brick and pantile threshing barn with an extension beyond the barn. Other buildings adjoined the east wing of the house and attached to this was an open fronted shed facing east, with another building beyond reaching nearly to the northern boundary.

Mr Meredith farmed here in the 1930’s. His wife born Hethershaw was killed in a road accident circa 1931 at Misterton Station railway bridge. Their daughter Joan married Tom Crompton of Misterton, but left him for a Pole during World War II.

The Merediths lived earlier in Holme House and/or Charity Farm.

WESTFEILDS FARM, HIGH STREET

Census Returns
1831
John Webster, 4 males, 4 females

1841
John Webster 50 Farmer
Elizabeth Webster 45
William Webster 20
Sarah Webster 20
Thomas Webster 50
John Webster 10
Sarah Ellis 40 Female servant
Joseph Brough 15 Male Servant

1851 census
schedule 43 High Street

John Webster Head Married 60 Farmer, 150 acres, Cottam employing 3 labourers
Elizabeth Webster Wife Married 57 Bole
Thomas Webster Brother Unm. 62? Farmer, jointly with brother Cottam
John Webster Son Unm. 20 farmer’s son, employed Beckingham as a labourer
Joseph Curtis Servant 13 house servant indoors, Beckingham agriculture labourer

1861 census
Schedule 62 High Street

John Webster Head Married 70 Farmer of 150 acres, Cottam employing 2 labourers
Elizabeth Webster Wife Married 67 Farmer’s Wife Bole
Sarah Ellis Servant Unm. 59 Domestic Servant Bole
Samuel? Walker Servant Unm. 22 Carter Beckingham
George Curtis Servant Unm. 15 Farm Servant, plough boy Beckingham

1871 census
Schedule 58 Top Street

George Flecther Head Married 59 Farmer 205 acres, Clarborough employing 1 labourer, 3 boys
Elizabeth Fletcher Wife Married 50 Warmsworth, Yorkshire
Charles Morris Nephew 15 Scholar Blackpool, Lancashire
Ann Taylor Servant Unm. 20 General Servant Domestic Twyford
William Bell Servant Unm. 19 Farm Servant. Indoor Bransby, Lincolnshire
Charles Worthington Servant Unm. 19 Farm Servant. Indoor South Leverton
Thomas Taylor Servant Unm. 14 Farm servant. Indoor Fillingham, Lincolnshire.

1871 Census
schedule 59 Top Street (In part of Westfield’s house)

Michael Lewis Lodger Unm. 47 Curate of Beckingham Denbigh, Denighsh

1881 Census
Schedule 56 High Street

George Fletcher Head Married 70 Agriculutre Labourer Clarborough
Elizabeth M. Fletcher Wife Married 60 Warmsworth, Yorkshire
(There is a possibility that they had moved to Southwood Cottage in this census year)

1891 Census
Schedule 72 High street

Robert Sidwell Head Married 52 Farmer and Cattle Sheffield, Dealer, employer Yorkshire
Mary A. Sidwell Wife Married 55 Scaftworth
Frances W. Sidwell Daughter Single 24 Farmers Daughter Sheffield
Beatrice Sidwell Daughter Single 17 Farmers Daughter Sheffield
John R. Thornhill Nephew Single 19 Farmers Nephew Tickhill
Emily Clayton Servant Single 19 General Servant Scotton Domestic

1901 Census
Schedule 86, High Street

Robert Sidwell Head Married 61 Farmer employer Sheffield
Ada L. Sidwell Wife Married 40 Beckingham
Frances W. Sidwell Daughter Single 33 Sheffield
Louisa Barker Servant Single 21 General Servant Scaftworth Domestic Worker



IMAGE12a-44
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Copied and developed 22nd August 1994.
Negative 13
Aerial view showing part of High Street with Westfields Farmstead on left picture. House on roadside, buildings north, barn east and more buildings on south side adjoining The Limes cottages.



IMAGE12a-44
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed October 1993.
Negative 22
Westfields House, High Street, Beckingham.



IMAGE12a-45
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Top picture copied July 1984. Negative



IMAGE12a-45
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Bottom picture developed October 1993
Negative 23
South Wood Cottage, High Street as it was on the south facing front in 1961 and the north facing back in October 1993.

SOUTHWOOD COTTAGE, HIGH STREET

A typical Beckingham brick and pantile cottage with Yorkshire slide windows and central doorway and staircase. The outhouses were built at the end of the cottage away from the road. It faces south with its east end up to the Town Street or High Street as this street is now called.

1736 This homestead is in the North East corner of the croft or close, no 166, of 3 roods 24 perches and given the owner reference letter r on this map.

1779 Map gives it the number 160, of 3 roods 27 perches, being part of Thomas Waterhouse’s estate. It would be inherited by one of his four grandchildren (son and daughters of Mrs Massingberd) in 1840. Close number 161 was attached to this homestead and according to a pencilled note on the 1778 rating list they were occupied by Fletcher.

George Bee says G. Clarke, labourer lived here circa 1895.
Alwin Ingall says Godfrey Harrison, brother of Oswald of Beckingham Wood farm.
Percy Proudley says Payne lived here when he worked for Mr Sidwell at Westfields, moving to Sunny Holme when he retired.

The sales notice of 1961 indicates that it was owned by Mr J. Surfleet who probably used it as a tied cottage.

Kenneth and Brenda Campion were here in 1967 and 1970 according to the Electoral Rolls. Mr and Mrs Roberts were probably next. Mrs Roberts was daughter of John Langley of Wiseton. 1997, the owners are Mr and Mrs Dyer.

Probably in the 1980’s the front garden was sold off and a bungalow built. Ken and Brenda Campion built the bungalow on their land then sold the cottage.

There was controversy when the far outbuilding was demolished and a garage erected with access from The Paddocks Road.
See news cutting. This was Circa 1990.

Brickwork. Tumbling at gable ends but no parapet.

Bonding

Roof Pantiles.

SOUTHWOOD COTTAGE, HIGH STREET

Census Returns
1831

James Smith 1 male, 2 females.

1841 Census

James Smith 55 Bricklayer
Sarah Smith 55
Mary Smith 30

1851 Census
Schedule 44 Beckingham

James Smith Head Married 72 Bricklayer (master) Wheatley Sarah Smith Wife Married 72 Beckingham
Mary Smith Daughter Unmarried 44 Straw Bonnet Maker Beckingham

1861 Census

Sarah Smith Head Widow 82 Cottager occupying Beckingham 3 acres
Mary Smith Daughter Unmarried 54 Straw Bonnet Maker Beckingham

1871 Census
Top street, Unoccupied house between Westfields and The School.

1881 Census
Schedule 57 High Street

William B. Carter Head Married 36 Civil Servant Branston, Surveyor of...? Lincolnshire
Isabella Carter Wife Married 24 Sunderland, Durham
George S.B. Carter Son 5 Scholar Sunderland
Sidney F.N. Carter Son 1 Beckingham
Fanny Sharpe Servant Unmarried 21 General Servant Holbeach, St Domestic Johns.
Celena Bilham Servant Unmarried 15 Nursemaid Gainsborough, Lincolnshire
(There is the possibility that this family was at Westfields and George Fletcher was here in this census year.)

1891 Census
Schedule 71 High street

William Payne Head Married 25 Farm Foreman Royston, Bedfordshire
Sarah J. Payne Wife Married 25 West Ashby, Lincolnshire
William H. Payne Son 2 Manton, Nottinghamshire
Frederick H. Payne Son 7 months Beckingham, Nottinghamshire

1901 Census
Schedule 85, High Street

William Payne Head Married ? Agriculture Roxton, Bedfordshire labourer
Sarah J. Payne Wife Married 35 West Ashby, Lincolnshire
Walter H. Payne Son 12 Manton, Nottinghamshire
Frederick H. Payne son 10 Beckingham
Arthur R. Payne Son 6 Beckingham



IMAGE12a-46
(please click on the above text to view original image)



IMAGE12a-47
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Retford Times 1993



IMAGE12a-48
(please click on the above text to view original image)
George Brumhead married Sarah Clark 24th December 1787 at Beckingham.
George Bee said the George Clark lived at South Wood Cottage in 1895. He should therefore be on the 1901 census return.

FAMILY OF ROBERT AND ELIZABETH CLARK

Husband : Robert Clark Wife: Elizabeth Huggard (Hoggard)

Married: 6th May 1756 in Bleasby, Nottinghamshire, England

Born : in: Born: in:
Baptized: in: Baptised: in:
Died: in: Died: in:
Buried in: Buried: 24th March 1797 In:Beckingham, Nottinghamshire, England

Occupation: Farm Labourer Occupation:

F Child 1 Ann Clark
Born; in:
Baptized: 28th September 1756 in: Beckingham, Nottinghamshire, England
Died: in:
Buried: in:
Occupation:

M Child 2 John Clark
Born: in:
Baptized: 8th November 1765 in: Beckingham, Nottinghamshire, England
Died: in:
Buried: in:
Occupation: Farm Labourer
Married: Mary James 2nd January 1793 in Beckingham, Nottinghamshire, England

Our Ancester

M Child 3 Thomas Clark
Born: in:
Baptized: 3rd June 1769 in: Beckingham, Nottinghamshire, England
Died: in:
Buried: in:
Occupation:

FAMILY OF JOHN AND MARY CLARK

Husband : John Clark Wife: Mary James

Married: 22nd January 1793 in Beckingham, Nottinghamshire, England

Born : in: Born: in:
Baptized: 8th November 1765 in:Beckingham, Nottinghamshire Baptised: in:
Died: in: Died in:
Buried in: Buried in:
Occupation: Farm Labourer
Father: Robert Clark Father:
Mother: Elizabeth Mother:

M Child 1 William Clark
Born: in:
Baptized: 9th June 1794 in: Beckingham, Nottinghamshire, England
Died: in:
Buried: in:
Occupation:

F Child 2 Ann Clark
Born: in:
Baptized: 25th November 1795 in: Beckingham, Nottinghamshire, England
Died: in:
Buried: in:
Occupation:

M Child 3 George Clark
Born; in:
Baptized: 5th June 1797 in: Beckingham, Nottinghamshire, England
Died: in:
Buried: in:
Occupation:
Same name as George baptized 10 June 1799. Presumed this George died but burial record found. Could also have been an error in the Bishop’s transcripts the Parish Register as entry above was also a George.

F Child 4 Susanna Clark
Born; in:
Baptized: 5th April 1798 in: Beckingham, Nottinghamshire, England
Died: in:
Buried: in:
Occupation:

M Child 5 George Clark
Born; in:
Baptized: 10th June 1799 in: Beckingham, Nottinghamshire, England
Died: in:
Buried: in:
Occupation:
(See note on previous George Clark baptized 5th June 1797)

M Child 6 Charles Clark
Born: in:
Baptized: 15th March 1801 in: Beckingham, Nottinghamshire, England
Died: in:
Buried: in:
Occupation: Labourer
Married: Ann Truswell( or Beck) 10th February 1824 in Egmanton, Nottinghamshire, England.

M Child 7 Joseph Clark
Born: in:
Baptized: 1st August 1803 in: Beckingham, Nottinghamshire, England
Died: in:
Buried: in:
Occupation:

M Child 8 James Clark M. Mary?
Born; in:
Baptized: 16th September 1806 in: Beckingham, Nottinghamshire, England
Died: in:
Buried: in:
Occupation:

FAMILY OF CHARLES AND ANN CLARK

Husband: Charles Clark Wife: Ann Truswell
Married 10th February 1824 in Egmanton, Nottinghamshire, England.
Born : in: Born: in: Beckingham
Baptized: 15th March 1801 in: Beckingham, Nottinghamshire Baptised: in:
Died: in: Habblesthorpe Died: in:
Buried: 26th November 1867 in: Buried: 1877 in: Habblesthorpe
Occupation: Labourer Occupation:
Father: John Clark Father:
Mother: Mary James Mother:

M Child 1 John Clark
Born: in:
Baptized: 2nd December 1826 in: Apesthorpe,Nottinghamshire, England
Died: in:
Buried: in:
Occupation:
Apesthorpe was also known as Applesthorpe or Habblesthorpe and eventually became part of the village of North Leverton.



IMAGE12a-49
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Top developed August 1994
Negative 15
Bottom Developed April 1995
Negative 11a



IMAGE12a-49
(please click on the above text to view original image)
South Wood Cottage outbuildings backing onto Paddocks Road. Top picture shows newly built garage in March 1994 and bottom picture shows newly painted garage in August 1994.

www.beckingham-northnotts.org.uk
This website has been funded by:

logo logo logo logo logo logo
Local Heritage Initiative
Heritage Lottery Fund
Nationwide
National Lottery
Home  |  About Us  |  Links  |  Contact Us  |  Site Map