Peter Mason Files



IMAGE12b-01
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Copied and developed 09/1993 Neg 6a also 09/1987 Pair of Agricultural Labourers' Cottages adjoining The Limes, High Street in 1972 when they were sold and converted into one house called The Hollies.



IMAGE12b-02
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed 20/12/1993 Neg 12 Oliver Bosley, Window Cleaner, at The Hall, Beckingham. He retired in December 1993. He was the grandson of William Berry who lived in one of these cottages and later lived in Holme House on Bar Road.



IMAGE12b-03
(please click on the above text to view original image)
The Hollies, High Street, Beckingham for sale

THE HOLLIES, ONCE THE LIME COTTAGES, HIGH STREET

1736 The map of this date shows a homestead number 131, and a home close number 133 being 1 rood 32 perches and 2 roods respectively. Ownership reference letter is q.

1777 This map gives the site only one number. This is no. 132 with an area of 3 roods 12 perches. The records refer to it as Clapping Close, tenant Dodson, owner W Raven. Hence the origin of the name of Ravenscroft Lane. Wm Raven also owned no 173 of 1 acre 2 roods 28 perches adjoining the nearby back lane.

1779 or later the homestead was bought by Robert Cross who owned The Limes adjoining. It was perhaps Robert Cross or his son who built this pair of cottages on the site of the earlier homestead.

William Dodson married Mary Marsh, 31/12/1783.

Thomas Eyre married Elizabeth Dodshon, 27/02/1790. Perhaps his first wife.

The cottages were later owned by Robert Surfleet of The Limes, passing to his son, Jack, and used as farm workers tied cottages. They were sold on 28/03/1972 with vacant possession, the purchaser making them into one house and calling it The Hollies.

Alwin Ingall says that one of the cottages was occupied by Tom Bee who trained horses for Robert Surfleet. Later they were occupied by Turner and Parker.

Ethel Matthews (see census returns of 1881 and 1891) married...? Stenson from Nottingham. She was perhaps born at Mosley Yard. The Stensons are said to have occupied the cottage at Church Corner and their daughter Mrs Thornhill lived next door at Sunnymead on Church Street.

Frederick Richard Matthews born to Thompson and Elizabeth Matthews in the northern half of this cottage in 1883 was posted "Missing Presumed Killed" 10/10/1917 in France, aged 34.

See attached letter from War Graves Commission.

LIMES COTTAGE (NORTH) now THE HOLLIES

1831 Census Perhaps an empty site
1841 Census As above

1851 Census Schedule 42 (Hanson's parents were at Woodbine Cottage PJM)

Perhaps

Hanson Robinson Head married 34 Wheelwright, journeyman Beckingham
Mary Robinson 32 Glentworth
John Robinson 6 Scholar North Wheatley
Henry Robinson 4 North Wheatley

1861 Census Schedule 61 High Street
Perhaps
Hanson Robinson Head married 44 Carpenter (journeyman) Beckingham
Mary Robinson Wife 42 Glentworth
John Robinson Son 16 Carpenter apprentice Wheatley North
Henry Robinson Son 14 Scholar Wheatley North

1871 Census Schedule 57 Top Street
Perhaps
John Cooper Head Widower 63 Police Officer Nottingham
Emma Cooper Daughter Unmarried 22 Housekeeper Radford
Mary Cooper Daughter Unmarried 21 General Servant Radford
Elizabeth Cooper Domestic

1881 Census Schedule 58 High Street (At Mosley Yard Lane in 1871)

Thompson Matthews Head married 40 Agricultural Labourer Crosby
Elizabeth Matthews Wife married 38 Sutton
Walton Matthews Son 13 Beckingham
Ellen Matthews Daughter 11 Scholar Beckingham
George Matthews Son 9 Scholar Beckingham
Herbert Matthews Son 8 Scholar Beckingham
Sarah Matthews Daughter 6 Scholar Beckingham
Gertrude Matthews Daughter 5 Scholar Beckingham
Harriet Matthews Daughter 3 Beckingham
Ethel Matthews Daughter 2 Beckingham

1891 Census Schedule 73 High Street

Thompson Matthews Head married 50 Agricultural Labourer Crosby, Lincolnshire
Elizabeth Matthews Wife married 49 Sutton, Nottinghamshire
Herbert Matthews Son single 17 Apprentice to Ship Builder Beckingham
Gertrude Matthews Daughter s. 15 Domestic Servant Beckingham
Ethel Matthews Daughter s. 11 Scholar Beckingham
Frederick Matthews Son 8 Scholar Beckingham
Peter Sanderson Lodger 23 Labourer in Shipyard Scotter

1901 Schedule 87 High Street 4 rooms

Lewis Leaning Head married 3? Labourer Shipyard Thealby
Annie Leaning Wife married 37 Coddington
Ernest Leaning Son 15 Cattleman on Farm Worker Coddington
Robert Leaning Son 13 Coddington
Amy Leaning Daughter 11 Coddington
Henry Leaning Son 8 Coddington
Caroline Leaning Daughter 5 Coddington
Lewis Leaning Son 2 Coddington
Cyril Leaning Son 3 months Beckingham



IMAGE12b-04
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Record of Commemoration Frederick Richard Matthews 10/10/1917



IMAGE12b-05
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Record of Commemoration Frederick Richard Matthews 10/10/1917

THE LIMES COTTAGE, SOUTH, HIGH STREET

Census Returns
1831 Census
Perhaps an empty site

1841 Census
As above

1851 Census Schedule 41 Beckingham

Mary Berry Head Widow 46 Farmer employing 1 labourer Walkeringham
John Berry Son Unm 21 Agricultural Labourer Walkeringham
Eliza Berry Dau Unm 17 Beckingham
Charles Berry Son Unm 14 Plough Boy Beckingham

1861 Census Schedule 60 High Street

Mary Berry Head Widow 57 Cottager Cow Keeper Walkeringham
Charles Berry Son Unm 24 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Sarah Spencer Sister in law M 47 Farmer's Wife Green Hill Farm, Lincolnshire, extra parochial
Ann Spencer Niece 6 Walkeringham

1871 Census Schedule 56 Top Street

John Berry Head Married 41 Farmer of 20 acres Walkeringham
Ann Berry Wife Married 32 Farmer's wife Kexby
William Berry Son 5 Beckingham
Mary Berry Daughter 3 Scholar Beckingham
Anne Berry Daughter 11 months Beckingham

1881 Census Schedule 59 High Street

John Berry Head M 50 Farmer of 17 acres Walkeringham
Ann Berry Wife M 43 Rampton
William Berry Son Unm 15 Farmer's Son Beckingham
Mary Berry Dau Unm 13 Scholar Beckingham
Anne E Berry Dau 11 Scholar Beckingham

1891 Census Schedule 74 High Street

John Berry Head M 62 Agricultural Labourer Walkeringham
Ann Berry Wife M 52 Kexby
Mary Berry Dau S 23 Housemaid Domestic Beckingham
Ann E Berry Dau S 21 General Servant Domestic Beckingham
Charles Berry Son 9 Scholar Beckingham

1901 Schedule 88 High Street

John Berry Head M 74 Farmer Own Account Walkeringham
Ann Berry Wife M 60 Kexby
Charles Berry Son S 18 Labourer Shipyard Worker Beckingham



IMAGE12b-06
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Commonwealth War Graves Commission Letter



IMAGE12b-07
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Frederick R Matthews Posted Missing Presumed Dead



IMAGE12b-08
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Record of Commemoration Oliver Edwin Berry 08/05/1918 – not found



IMAGE12b-09
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Retford Times 24/04/1997 The Limes For Sale



IMAGE12b-10
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Copied 28/08/1994 Neg 12 Aerial view of part of High Street, Westfields farmstead on left, ie north side Jack Surfleets, The Limes and pair of cottages in centre of picture. Methodist Chapel on west side of road, ie bottom of picture.

THE LIMES, HIGH STREET
< br /> 1736 map No 134 1 acre 14 roods 0 perches and No 135, 2 acres, 1 rood, 37 perches, homesteads, part of Meynell Estate.

1777 map No 131 1 acre, 1 rood, 17 perches and No 130 Clapping Close homestead of Meynell Heirs

1779 Both plots had been bought by Robert Cross.

1832 Whites'. Robert Cross, landowner.

1885 map. A pump is shown on north side of the house.

Information relating to the Meynell Estate and the Cross estate is filed elsewhere.

This was once a substantial farmstead with a large Victorian house, but it is not clear as to who built the house.

Electoral Register 1967 and 1970 The Limes, John Surfleet.

THE LIMES

Mr Robert Cross junior was the son of the Mr Robert Cross of Gringley who along with his brother William Cross of Gringley and William Flint of Beckingham (Orchard House) bought the Meynell Estate. Robert junior farmed for Pear Tree Hill Farm after the farmstead was built in the 1780's or 1790's until about 1820 when his son William took over and Robert moved to The Limes. William was the son of Robert junior and Sarah, his first wife, and probably succeeded Robert at Pear Tree Hill when he, William, married Elizabeth circa 1820/1821.

Robert Cross junior died in 1840 which seems too early for it to have been he who rebuilt The Limes. The house had the appearance of having been built in the second half of the 19th century which makes it seem most likely to have been rebuilt by the Reverend Wm Topham Hobson, vicar of Beckingham 1854 to 1873, in the 1860's or early 1870's. He does not appear on the census returns until 1871 so it seems that he was living elsewhere in previous decades. Did he perhaps employ Wm H Pearson as curate and have the house rebuilt whilst the Reverend Pearson was tenant, living elsewhere until the new house was ready for occupation?

George Bee said the house was occupied by Miss Swift c1895.

In the 1930's it was owned and occupied by Robert Surfleet who is said to have fattened cattle which were sold to his brother, a butcher, in Gainsborough. He also bred trotting horses. Robert was followed by his son Jack who it is said would have married an actress if his mother had not objected. He said if he could not marry her, he would marry no-one and he didn't.

After Jack Surfleet died c1971 the property was sold by auction on 28/03/1972. The house and farmstead was bought and demolished by Richmonds of Retford and became the Limes Estate of modern houses and bungalows. The paddock between the farmstead and the Village Institute became the school playing field with extra classrooms being built near the school. The pair of farm workers cottages nearby were bought by Birkett and turned into one house. The purchasers of, and prices of the farm land are shown on another page.

Surfleets also had the buildings of what was once Gamson's Farm, except for the house and barn. This area became Hawthorn Close.

They also rented some Church Land which included the Glebe farm yard, which was built on to become Rectory Gardens after the demolition of the remaining buildings in 1975.

THE LIMES, HIGH STREET

1831 Census

Mr R Cross 4 male

1841 Census

Mary Cross 65 Independent
Fred Cross 25
Sarah Wilkinson 15 Female Servant
Peter Stones 14 Male Servant

1851 Census Return Schedule 39 Beckingham

Probably Sarah Brown Head Widow 72 Proprietor of House Belton, Lincolnshire
Sarah Ellis Unmarried 49 General House Servant Bole
(Was Sarah Brown any relation of Brown of Brown and Stephenson, heirs Wm Flint of Orchard House?)

1861 Census Return Schedule 59 High Street

William H Pearson Head Unm 31 Master of Arts (Ordained) Rufford, Lincolnshire - Curate of Beckingham
Ellen Pearson Sister Unmarried 34 Housekeeper Rufford, Lancashire
George F Newbold Servant Unmarried 30 Groom Grasby
Frances Shepherd Servant Unmarried 28 Domestic Servant Osgosby

1871 Census Return Schedule 55 Vicarage High Street

William Hobson Head M 66 Vicar of Beckingham Raithby Topham
Francis Maria Hobson Wife M 61 Calton, Norfolk
Julia F Rickards Dau M 26 Wife of Colonel Bengal Bilborough Corps, half pay
Edward Rickards Gson 10 months Beckingham
Mary Robinson Servant Widow 52 Cook Glentworth
Sarah Ann Wood Servant Unm 43 Housemaid Eltonwick, Berkshire
Harriet Clegg Servant Unm 30 Nurse Silkstone, Yorkshire

1881 Census Return Schedule 61 High Street

Frances M Hobson Head Widow 71 Colton? Norfolk
Julia J Rickards Daughter married 36 Bilborough

1891 Census Return Schedule 75 High Street

James Edwards Head Married 42 Malster Manager Woodbridge, Suffolk
Fanny Edwards Wife Married 38 Dallingbrough, Suffolk, Norfolk Broads
Mildred J Edwards Daughter 13 Scholar Woodbridge
Ernest Edwards Son 11 Scholar Gloucester
Wilfred Edwards Son 10 Scholar Gloucester
Elsie L Edwards Dau 7 Scholar Smethurst, Stafford
Lancelot Edwards Son 4 Smethurst, Stafford
Dorothy M Edwards Dau 3 Ware, Hertfordshire
Felix B Edwards Son 2 Ware, Hertfordshire
Kenneth G Edwards Son 2 Ware, Hertfordshire
Lilian M Walker Visitor Single 23 Sutton, Suffolk
Ethel B Sharp Governess Single 21 Beverley, Yorkshire
Mary A Hunsley Servant Single 21 Cook (Domestic Servant) Ashby, Lincolnshire
Mary E Taylor Servant Single 17 Housemaid Willingham, Lincolnshire
Francis Maria Hobson Wife M 61 Calton, Norfolk
Julia F Rickards Dau M 26 Wife of Colonel Bengal Corps, half pay Bilborough
Edward Rickards Gson 10 months Beckingham
Mary Robinson Servant Widow 52 Cook Glentworth
Sarah Ann Wood Servant Unm 43 Housemaid Eltonwick, Berkshire
Harriet Clegg Servant Unm 30 Nurse Silkstone, Yorkshire

1901 Schedule 89 High Street

Robert Surfleet Head Married 37 Butcher and Shopkeeper Employer Gainsborough
Agnes G Surfleet Wife Married 33 Gainsborough
Edith Surfleet Daughter 6 Gainsborough
John Surfleet Son 4 Gainsborough
Robert Surfleet Son 1 Beckingham
Ada M Clixby Sister in law Single 36 Gainsborough
Anna Gownetz Servant Single 20 Cook Domestic Germany



IMAGE12b-11
(please click on the above text to view original image)
The Stamford Mercury 02/10/1840 P1 col 6
This appeared to be what was later called The Limes.



IMAGE12b-12
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Stamford Mercury 25/02/1842 P1 col 8

SALE OF LAND AT BECKINGHAM 28/03/1972

Executors of John Surfleet and Trustees of late Robert Surfleet.
Lot 1 223b and 223pt 2.2 acres of land adjoining Chapel on High Street. Bought for £12,000 by Mee and Company probably for the Council as it is now Hawthorn Close.
Lot 2 Paddocks Pt 215 1.320 acres opposite lot 1.
Bought for £7,750 by Mee and Company.
Part is now an extension to the school and playing field.
Lot 3 05 pt 188 and 189 1.521 and 0.375 acres. This was once the Glebe Farmstead.
Bought for £5,500 by Leggott. Now a housing estate called Rectory Gardens.

Herbert Proudley Esquire sold:-
Lot 4 3 paddocks totalling 4.301 acres near the Gringley end of Bypass. Bought by Richmonds for building. Now known as The Paddocks and The Grove.

Executors of J Surfleet, Trustees of Robert Surfleet and Mrs Marjorie Barr.
Lot 5 Two fields at Gringley Gap West Cliff £4,200
Lot 6 2 Bulse Fields Hayes Son and Richmond for Smithsons £1,900
Lot 7 Pt 254 Hall Close Hayes Son and Richmond for T Pickering £5,900
Lot 8 Pt 255 Station Field Burton and Dyson £3,000
Lot 9 26.290 acres north of Wood Lane J Proudley £7,250
Lot 13 9.185 acres, 3 grass fields, Wood Lane J Proudley £2,300
Johnson Richard Selby:-
Lot 10 05.229 adjoining railway Hayes Son and Richmond for Hugh Smith £1,000
Lot 11 05 230 4.336 acres Harold Mell £1,100
Lot 12 31.311 acres Wood Lane J Proudley £6,500
Lot 12a 26.792 off Bar Road J Proudley £6,500
Lot 12b 33.999 Crabtree Lane J Proudley £8,200
Lot 14 13.983 Crabtree Lane Tomlinson £2,400
Lot 15 7.771,0.5 387 Ramper Corner H Smith £2,100 05.387
Wm Arther Pyecroft
0.5.360
Lot 16 4.420 acres 0.5.360 pt Bar Road N Forrington£1,550
Robert Surfleets Trustees:-
Lot 17 The Limesand farmstead High Street Mee and Company for Richmonds £8,500
Lot 18 Pair of cottages adjoining The Limes Birkett £3,000
Mrs Annie Morfins Trustees:-
Lot 19 3.395 acres 0.5.248 Grass field adjoining bypass, Hayes Son and Richmond £1,600

THE LIMES, HIGH STREET ADDENDA

John Bee's Day Book records several items of work carried out for W Swift in 08/1896, and he is also mentioned 01/11/1898. But that is assuming that he was living at The Limes.

Robert Surfleet was having work done by J Bee on 13/06/1899.

See Robert Cross's Will of 08/06/1840 Died probate 14/09/1840.

31/07/1879 Deed relating to Partition of Estates at Beckingham. From old deeds in possession of Doug Adams. Homestead and Great Clapping Close was late in the occupation of William Sykes. Was he perhaps a relation of John Sykes who bought Meadow Croft from John Bromhead 06/04/1792. See extract from deed in Duckle box file.



IMAGE12b-13
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Copied and developed 03/1994 Neg 18. The Limes, High Street. Copied from sale catalogue of 1972.



IMAGE12b-14
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Copied from slide. The Limes, High Street in 1975 shortly before demolition by Richmonds.



IMAGE12b-15
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed 09/1993 Neg 15A Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street. White Cottage beyond and Chapel Schoolroom in the distance. The Limes gateway on the left. Copied form Miss Gosling's painting.



IMAGE12b-16
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed 09/1993 Neg 26A Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street 1993. Built in 1895.

WESLEYAN METHODIST

In 1788 there was in Beckingham a Society of Methodists, ten in number as shown below. Information from Dr B Biggs.

Joseph Cliff, wheelwright and Ann Cliff
Joseph Cook, shoemaker and Ann Cook
Ann Parkin, old
William Cobb, joiner
James Hoggard, farmer
Rebecca Cliff, young
James Drewery, labourer
Elizabeth Drewery

John Wesley visited Beckingham in 1788.

Joseph Cook above was probably father of John Cook who applied for the licence to make the Chapel (later the chapel schoolroom) a place of religious worship for Protestants in 1842. Both Joseph and John were shoemakers.

WESLEYAN CHAPEL

The present Chapel, in 1995, was built in 1895, opened 1896.

For more information see Chapel file.
(Copies of large documents in Dresser drawer 5. See also Chapel ring binder).

The earlier Wesleyan chapel was given a certificate in 1842 by the Bishop of Lincoln for it to be used as a place of worship. It was demolished by Adam Brothers circa the 1970's. It was used as a Wesleyan schoolroom after the new chapel was built in 1895. There was a date stone over the door but I am not sure that this was dated 1842.

The date stone in the Wesleyan Chapel Yard relates to the Primitive Chapel of 1836, now the Recreation Room.

John Cook, who signed the document requesting permission to use the chapel as a place of worship in 1842, lived in the cottage on the narrow lane to the south of Croft House. He was a shoemaker, on the 1841 census but described as a farmer in the 1831 White's.

A stone inscribed G Hill 29/10/1892 was found near the Recreation Room by Ray Simpson who conveyed it to the Mill House. This looks like a foundation stone and probably relates to the old Primitive Methodist Chapel rather than to this chapel or its predecessor. George Hill was a cottager living on Croft House Lane.



IMAGE12b-17
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed 08/1993 Neg 28A Mr and Mrs Clifford Johnsons' Ravensbeck, High Street, Beckingham in 1993. The old part is end-on to Ravenscroft Lane.

RAVENSBECK, HIGH STREET, ONCE BARTROP'S YARD

1736 The map shows a homestead no 160 3 roods 11 perches identified by the letter p. Owner not known.

In 1777 this plot was no 162 of 2 roods 39 perches was known as Bartrop Yard and owned by Meynell's Heirs. See Rating List of 1778.
In 1779 this, as part of the Meynell Estate, was purchased by Robert and William Cross of Gringley and William Flint of Beckingham.

Some of the occupiers are listed on the census returns. The 1886 Tithe book gives the occupier as John Durdy, and the owner Charles Cross. John Durdy was previously at Beckingham Wood Farm. Percy Proudley said the Misses Elizabeth and Clara Beckett lived here and sometimes a Mrs Metcalfe, midwife.

Alwin Ingall says that George Ingall retired here from Hayton castle before Mr and Mrs Clifford Johnson lived here.

George Bee said that circa 1895 the village blacksmith was Mr A Holmes, and adjoining the smithy lived Mr Sizer in a small cottage which was made smaller by having a small part at one end let off as a workshop to Mr Beckett.

A Miss Ingall committed suicide here circa 1950.

The cottage had a slate roof in 1956 when bought by Mr Clifford Johnson who built the extension to the south. The cottage now has a pantiled roof. No tumbled brickwork at the eaves and no parapet. The windows were altered and the front doorway blocked, probably when the extension was built at the south end. Previously the windows were the vertical sash type.
Brickwork - English garden bond; somewhat random at the north end, perhaps because the chimney section may be only 4.5 inches thick.

There was a pump at the south-west corner of the cottage.

The cottage is end-on to Ravenscroft Lane which before the enclosures of 1776-17779 was the road to Gringley via Mutton Lane. There is a vehicular access onto this road and there was and is now, pedestrian access from the back of the house down several steps to the road. And there may have been access onto the back lane which existed before the bypass was built.

The back (west) of the cottage had a catslide roof, but the lower section has been given a flat roof to give extra height.

RAVENSBECK, HIGH STREET

Census Returns
1831
Occupier not known PJM John Durdy, see below, was at Beckingham Wood Farm.

1841
Occupier not known PJM. John Durdy, see below, was at Beckingham Wood Farm at this date.
Probably built after this date, perhaps by Charles Cross.

1851 Schedule 40 Beckingham

John Durdy Head Married 73 Butcher and Flour Dealer Beckingham
Elizabeth Durdy Wife Married 77 ?
Mary Durdy Daughter Unmarried 32 Schoolmistress, Teacher Beckingham of Reading and sewing

(John Durdy was previously farming at Beckingham Wood Farm PJM)

1861 Schedule 58 High Street

John Durdy Head Widow 82 Butcher (Master) Beckingham
Mary Durdy Daughter Unmarried 43 Housekeeper Beckingham

1871 Schedule 54 High Street

John Durdy Head Widow 92 Butcher Beckingham
Mary Durdy Daughter Unmarried 54 Housekeeper Beckingham

1881 Schedule 60 High Street

George Beckett Head Married 55 Cordwainer Morton, Lincolnshire
Mary Beckett Wife Married 49 Beckingham
Ann E Beckett Daughter Unmarried 26 Dressmaker Beckingham

1891 Schedule 76 High Street

George Beckett Head Married 65 Boot and shoemaker Morton
Mary Beckett Wife Married 59 Beckingham
Ann E Beckett Daughter Single 36 Dressmaker Beckingham
Clara Beckett Daughter Single 26 Beckingham
Frederick Rogers Boarder Single 35 Labourer in Shipyard Gainsborough
John E Brunyee Boarder Single 26 Boilermaker Hatfield

1901 Schedule 90 High Street

Mary Beckett Head Widow 69 Beckingham
Ann E Beckett Daughter Single 46 Dressmaker Own Beckingham account at home

GEORGE BECKETT, SHOEMAKER

1841 - he lived with John Cook, on the lane as under. John Cook was a shoemaker.

1851 - he was living with George Hill, agricultural labourer in the cottage on the lane between Bar Road and Station Road, schedule 9.

George Beckett, lodger, unmarried, 25, Shoemaker (Master) born Saundby.

George Hill was born in Beckingham.

1861 he was living on Low Street Schedule 20

George Beckett Head Married 35 Cordwainer (Master) Morton
Mary Beckett Wife Married 29 Beckingham
Ann E Beckett Daughter 6 Scholar Beckingham
Sarah Beckett Daughter 5 Scholar Beckingham
Thomas Beckett Son 3 Beckingham 1871 he was on Station Road Schedule 106

George Beckett Head Married 45 Cordwainer Morton
Mary Beckett Wife Married 39 Beckingham
Elizabeth Beckett Daughter 16 Beckingham
Thomas Beckett Son 13 Beckingham
Clara Beckett Daughter 6 Beckingham
Elizabeth Hill Mother Widow 79 Torworth

In 1871 Sarah Beckett had become a servant living with Thomas Hill, a farmer of Charity Farm (80 acres). He was born at Misterton. George Beckett had lodged with a George Hill in 1851. The widow Elizabeth Hill would no doubt be George Beckett's mother in law.

1887 - he had then moved to High Street, Schedule 60.
See Ravenscroft census returns.

Another farmer, Henry Hill, born at Misterton, lived at the High Street Farm opposite the school house, see 1881 census.

Samuel Hill married Elizabeth Haigh at Beckingham 27/11/1820.
George Beckett appears to have married Mary Hill, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth Hill. The census returns for Green Cottage show Beckingham as the birthplace of Samuel.

There was not necessarily a family connection between the Hills born in Beckingham and those of Misterton.



IMAGE12b-18
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Property of the week High Street Misterton



IMAGE12b-19
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed 09/1998 Neg 1 Mrs Clifford Johnson's Ravensbeck Cottage taken from Ravensbeck Lane in Spring 1998. Originally it had a cat-slide roof.



IMAGE12b-20
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street, White Cottage beyond and Chapel Schoolroom.

WHITE COTTAGE, HIGH STREET

It is difficult to relate present boundaries to the old maps.

1736 This was probably the homestead no 158 on the map and marked 7 for John Brumhead 0 acres 3 roods 25 perches.

1777 Probably Bromheads homestead, no 164 on the map and 0 acres 3 roods 31 perches. It appears to have been bought later by Robert Cross.

The cottage appears to have been built in the North East corner of the site and the first Wesleyan Chapel in the South East corner.

C1895 George Bee said the cottage was occupied by Mr Pask, a labourer at the willow holt in Beckingham Marshes.

1871 census William Pask, wife Sarah, son and two daughters lived on the Green, but here in 1881 and 1891.

1885 map shows a pump to the south of the cottage.

Percy Proudley gives the occupiers as Cook who worked at Marshalls, then Mrs Moody, then Batty, followed by Miss Clixby, a relation of Surfleets. (Cook may have been Arthur Cook son of John Cook, see 1841 census).

This is probably the cottage that was offered for sale in 1840, and again in 1842, along with The Limes by the executors of Robert Cross. See the news cuttings in pages on The Limes.

But occupiers were Mrs Needham

WHITE COTTAGE, HIGH STREET

Census returns

1831

John Brown 1 male, 3 female

1841

John Brown 60 Agricultural Labourer
Sarah Brown 65

1851 Schedule 39 Beckingham

Sarah Brown Head Widow 72 Proprietor of house Belton?, Lincolnshire
Sarah Ellis ? Unm 49 General House Servant Bole, Nottinghamshire

1861 Schedule 57 High Street

John Webster Head M 29 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Eliza Webster Wife M 28 Lea, Lincolnshire
Betty Webster Dau 5 Scholar Beckingham
Thomas Webster Son 4 Beckingham
Fanny Webster Dau 9 months Beckingham

1871 High Street
An unoccupied house between schedule 53 and 54.
(In 1871 the Pask family were living on The Green PJM)

1881 Schedule 62 High Street

William Pask Head M 55 Agricultural Labourer Kexby, Lincolnshire
Sarah Pask Wife M 59 Scotter, Lincolnshire
John W Pask Son 14 Scholar Beckingham

1891 Schedule 77 High Street 4 rooms

William Pask Head Widower 65 Agricultural Labourer Willingham, Lincolnshire
Ellen Pask Dau S 28 Housekeeper Domestic Beckingham

1901 Schedule 91, High Street

William Graham Head W 67 Horseman on Farm Worker Corringham



IMAGE12b-21
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Certificate There is a copy of this in the Chapel File (ring binder 33) via Freda Proudley NOT FOUND



IMAGE12b-22
(please click on the above text to view original image)
The bungalow called no 23 High Street is probably the one that replaced the Chapel Schoolroom, or the access to Hawthorn Close may cover the site. Copied 08/1993 from a slide. Old Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street. Built circa 1842. Later used as Methodist Schoolroom. Demolished circa 1975.

WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL SCHOOLROOM

The building was first a chapel and then became the chapel schoolroom when the new and present chapel was built in 1895.

In 1736 this appears to have been a homestead of the Brumhead family no 158 on the map and 3 roods 25 perches in area.

In 1777 it was a Brumhead homestead, no 164 3 roods 31 perches, but by 1779 the ownership had passed to Robert Cross who built Pear Tree Hill Farm on the Gringley Road.

The White Cottage was built in the North East corner of this plot and the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in the South East corner.

Whites Directory 1832 says there is a Methodist Chapel built 1807 and enlarged in 1821.

There was a date plaque on the schoolroom, but the building was demolished probably in the 1970's. Probably dated 1842. (See below).

New Wesleyan Chapel built 1895.

For more information see Chapel and School file.

In 1842 John Cook and others applied to the Bishop of Lincoln for a certificate to allow a certain building in Beckingham to be used as a place of religious worship by Protestants. It was granted John Cooke (sic) is shown as a shoemaker in Whites History and Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1844. Joseph Cook, shoemaker was one of the ten Wesleyans in Beckingham in 1788. He lived in the cottage on the narrow lane to the south of Croft House.

The primitive Methodist Chapel is now, in 1995, the Recreation Room. When it was a chapel it was dated 1836. There was still a Primitive Methodist Chapel here in 1908, see Kelly's Directory. The date stone is now at the Wesleyan chapel, in 1995.

The date stone which was over the doorway of this building appears to be lost, probably when the Adams Brothers, who had been using it as a workshop, demolished it. A bungalow was built on the site for Dr Wyatt. An old billiard table that had latterly been used for cutting glass on was bought for a fiver by Ray Simpson when the place was demolished c1971. The date stone may have read 1842.

IMAGE12B/22a
Part of a certificate Beckingham Methodist Chapel Records Conveyance of plot of land 31/101894 Miss Irene K Cross to Mr Thomas Wells and others. Another copy in Cross box file. - not found

IMAGE12B/23
Part of a certificate Beckingham Methodist Chapel Records Conveyance of plot of land 31/101894 Miss Irene K Cross to Mr Thomas Wells and others. Another copy in Cross box file. - not found

IMAGE12B/24
Part of a certificate Beckingham Methodist Chapel Records Conveyance of plot of land 31/101894 Miss Irene K Cross to Mr Thomas Wells and others. Another copy in Cross box file.- not found

IMAGE12B/25
Part of a certificate Beckingham Methodist Chapel Records Conveyance of plot of land 31/101894 Miss Irene K Cross to Mr Thomas Wells and others. Another copy in Cross box file.- not found

IMAGE12B/26
Part of a certificate Beckingham Methodist Chapel Records Conveyance of plot of land 31/101894 Miss Irene K Cross to Mr Thomas Wells and others. Another copy in Cross box- file.- not found

IMAGE12B/27
Part of a certificate Beckingham Methodist Chapel Records Conveyance of plot of land 31/101894 Miss Irene K Cross to Mr Thomas Wells and others. Another copy in Cross box file. - not found

WESLEYAN METHODIST

In 1788 there was in Beckingham a Society of Methodists, ten in number as shown below. Information from Dr B Biggs.

Joseph Cliff, wheelwright and Ann Cliff
Joseph Cook, shoemaker and Ann Cook
Ann Parkin, old
William Cobb, joiner
James Hoggard, farmer
Rebecca Cliff, young
James Drewery, labourer
Elizabeth Drewery

John Wesley visited Beckingham in 1788.

Joseph Cook above was probably father of John Cook who applied for the licence to make the Chapel (later the chapel schoolroom) a place of religious worship for Protestants in 1842. Both Joseph and John were shoemakers.

SHOP AND POST OFFICE ON HIGH STREET

1736 map shows this plot as no 157 1 rood 7 perches marked with the letter to denote the owner.

1777 map gives it the number 165, the acreage has dropped to 29 perches. The owner then was Thomas Waterhouse and it remained as part of the estate until four of his grandchildren divided the estate in 1840.

1831 census shows the occupier to be Edmund Stovin.
He had married Mary Keyworth at Beckingham on 18/05/1812. She was probably the Mill owner's daughter.

1832 White's Directory gives Edward (possibly a misprint) Stovin as schoolmaster, shopkeeper and post office. In 1844 he is given as schoolmaster and shopkeeper, and in the Post Office Directory of 1840, schoolmaster and grocer. He was enumerator of the 1831 and the 1851 census.

1864 White's gives Edmund as collector of property and assessed taxes and poor rates.

1866 The Tithe Rents. Edmund Stovin 4/4, owners Messrs Duckle and Tong.

1879 Wright's Directory gives George Smith at the Post Office.
The census returns indicate that there was a family connection between Smith and Stovin.

Monumental Inscription in churchyard - Edmund Stovin died 24/09/1877 aged 89.

The shop was just to the north of Gamson's farmstead and to the south of the old Wesleyan Methodist Chapel which became the chapel schoolroom. The shop was probably demolished earlier this century. The site is now the entrance road to Hawthorn Close.

The shop is still shown on the 25" ordinance survey map revised 1940.

I am told that the house was later inhabited by the Parkinsons, and also the Abbots but there may be confusion with the White Cottage.

Percy Proudley says the Smiths were followed by Cooper then by Alf Parkinson.

Alwin Ingall says Abbotts lived here.

George Bee says the shop door was in two parts like a stable door and the only one in the village.

The 1885 map shows a pump on the south of the rear part of the cottage.

Although Edmund Stovin is described as schoolmaster he is not mentioned in the log books of the village school, and the only other schools I know of were the Dame School, and Mrs Cross's school at Croft House. Did he perhaps give private tuition or was he master of a school that probably existed before the on built in 1854.

Edmund is mentioned in the advertisement in the Stamford Mercury of 26/03/1834 re the affairs of Mrs Susannah Bromhead.

See the middle Low Street book and Hoggard House.

SHOP AND POST OFFICE ON HIGH STREET

Census Returns
1831 Population list signed by Edmund Stovin
Edmund Stovin 2 male, 5 females

1841

Edmund Stovin 50 School Master
Mary Stovin 50
Mary Stovin 20
Edmund Stovin 20
Sarah Stovin 15
Eliza Stovin 14

1851 Schedule 1 Beckingham (Enumerator was Edmund Stovin)

Edmund Stovin Head M 64 School Master and Grocer, Goole Teacher of Reading, Writing and Arithmetic
Mary Stovin Wife M 60 Beckingham
Mary Stovin Dau Unm 31 Straw Bonnet Maker Beckingham
Edward Stovin Son Unm 28 Miller Beckingham
Eliza Stovin Dau Unm 22 Beckingham
Matthew E Stovin G Son 12? Scholar North Wheatley

1861 Schedule 56 High Street

Edmund Stovin Head M 73 Sub postmaster and Grocer Goole
Mary Stovin Wife M 72 Beckingham
Eliza Stovin Dau Unm 33 Grocer's Assistant Beckingham
Edmund Stovin G Son Unm 21 Assistant Letter Carrier North Wheatley
Wm E Curtis G Son 11 Scholar Beckingham
Annie Stovin G Dau 11/2 Beckingham

1871 Schedule 53 Top Street Grocer's Shop and Post Office

Edmund Stovin Head Widower 82 Grocer Goole, Yorkshire
George Dickenson Son-in-law M 44 Grocer Stowe, Lincolnshire
Eliza Dickenson Dau M 44 Grocer's Wife Beckingham and Grocer
Annie Stovin G Dau 11 Scholar Beckingham

1881 Schedule 63 High Street

George Smith Head M 29 Sub Postmaster and Grocer Gringley
Annie Smith Wife M 21 Post Messenger Beckingham
Albert EGD Smith Son 3 Beckingham
Jessie MFS Smith Dau 2 Beckingham
Eliza Dickenson Mother-in-law M 54 Annuitant Beckingham
(Annie Smith appears to be grand-daughter of the late Edmund STOVIN).

1891 Schedule 78 High Street Post Office

George Smith Head M 37 Grocer and Postmaster Gringley
Annie Smith Wife M 31 Post Messenger Beckingham
Eliza Dickinson Mother-in-law Widow 64 Beckingham
Albert Smith Son 12 Scholar Beckingham
Jessie Smith Dau 11 Scholar Beckingham

1901 Schedule 92 High Street

George Smith Head M 49 Grocer and Agricultural Labourer Gringley Own account
Annie Smith Wife M 41 Beckingham
Albert Smith Son S 22 Ship Plater Worker Beckingham
Jessie Smith Dau S 21 Nurse Domestic Beckingham

POST OFFICE, HIGH STREET, OPPOSITE THE INSTITUTE

This was situated between Gamson's Corner Farm and the Wesleyan Chapel, later the Chapel Schoolroom. It would be approximately where the entrance to Hawthorn Close has been constructed. Fred Gosling says that the last occupier of this property sold sweets but when the sun melted her stock she abandoned the business.



IMAGE12b-28
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed 05/1996 Neg 14 Village Institute showing date plaque of 1908 on South Front, at 04/1996.



IMAGE12b-29
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed 01/1998 Neg 24 West Front of the Village Institute showing the anchor on the gable end. Photographed 01/1998.



IMAGE12b-30
(please click on the above text to view original image)
22/06/1923 From Mrs Edlington Beckingham Institute and Library.



IMAGE12b-31
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Copied and developed 1985. Beckingham Institute and Library, High Street. Built in 1908. Copied from Mrs Pearson's postcard.



IMAGE12b-32
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed 12/1993 Neg 22A. Institute Houses built in 1908, pictured in 1993.

VILLAGE INSTITUTE

In 1736 this was no 137 on the map, 1 acre 1 rood 28 perches called Clappin Close as was the adjoining paddock, and belonged to William Burton.

In 1777 the ownership had passed to Thomas Duckle, was no 128 and called Clapping Close.

It was later bought by Mr Joseph Watson the shipbuilder who built on it the Institute and adjoining houses in 1908. He gave the east end of the close for the building of the school of 1901 and the school house.

1912 James R Skeet, Institute.
Kelly 1932 Percy Wilfred Yeomans, Institute Secretary.

I am told that one of the Ingalls was in charge of the Institute at one time and ran a shop there.

Electoral Institute Watson, Tom and Patricia
Register Institute Watson, Tom and Patricia
1967-1970

There is a story that when Alwin Ingall was a boy he always had a bath on Friday night in a tub in front of the fire. The local children soon realised this, even though Alwin, in the bath, was shunted under the kitchen table when they went in to buy sweets. This resulted in the children conniving to go individually to buy their sweets and Alwin was pushed back and forth from hearth to table many times before his mother could wash and dry him.

George Bee mentions the details of the founding and running of the Institute in his memoirs.

Note the stone set in the west side gable end with an anchor carved thereon.
The bowling green situated behind the Institute houses was dug up during World War II, and has remained as allotments since then. There was also a tennis lawn and quoits ground.



IMAGE12b-33
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Beckingham Library and Institute



IMAGE12b-34
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Beckingham Institute Committee and Rules



IMAGE12b-35
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Beckingham Institute Rules



IMAGE12b-36
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Beckingham Institute Rules



IMAGE12b-37
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Beckingham Institute Houses, High Street with the gable end of Gamson's Farm House on left of picture and barn behind.



IMAGE12b-38
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Jack Boyd's grocery shop at the corner of High Street, with the old farmhouse, in which he lived, behind the shop.



IMAGE12b-39
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Mr Jack Boyd Extract from an article about Beckingham in the Doncaster Chronicle of 21/06/1956



IMAGE12b-40
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Beckingham Village Institute Gamson's farmhouse on left, later Boyd's House, and since demolished. Developed 04/1901 Neg 11



IMAGE12b-41
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Corner Farmhouse, Institute and School at Beckingham. Copied from Mrs Atkinson's photograph Copied 2002. Appears to have been photographed after the barn was altered but before Boyd's Shop was placed on the roadside.

GAMSON'S CORNER FARM, HIGH STREET

1736 Map No 154 1 acre 0 roods 28 perches Letter S.

1777 Map No 166 1 acre 1 rood 04 perches

This property was owned by the Gamson family in 1777 and probably so remained for the next 100 years or more. Mr George Bee in his recollections of the 1890's says that the house was inhabited by Mr Gray, bailiff for Mr Gamson. This was probably James Gamson of Elms Farm, Misterton.

Mr Gervase Gamson offered the farm for sale in 1828 but it appears that it was not sold.

Gervase Gamson married Mary Whitaker 11/05/1808 at Beckingham, licence.

1830 Gervase Gamson was a member of the Parish Council and made his mark in the Town's Book that recorded Vestry Meetings.

1885 Ordinance Survey Map shows a pump on the north side of the house and one in the yard.

C1895 George Bee gives the occupants as Mr Gray, bailiff for Mr Gamson and presumably in the other half, Miss Jubb. The census returns indicate that the house was divided, probably circa 1850.

The farmstead was split up when the holding ceased to be a farm. According to Oswald Harrison the barn was converted into 4 cottages by the father of Fred Bell. They are now Council Houses, called Bell's Court. The other buildings were used by Jack Surfleet, but since his death they have been demolished to be replaced by old aged pensioners Council Bungalows called Hawthorn Close c1970. Part of the house was once occupied by Mr and Mrs Jack Boyd who ran a grocery shop in a small wooden shed on the roadside. A newspaper article about the shop is in the joiner's shop section of this book. (See newspaper article by George Bee). This was still a farm in 1900, (See Kelly's Directory) when Mr W Laidlow farmed here. He was Wesley Baxter's grandfather. Mr O Harrison thinks it was Tillsons who farmed here before W Laidlow. The barn is now called Bell's Court.

Other members of the Gamson family farmed at Grange Farm, Gringley and Elm Farm, Misterton. Some of the Gringley Gamsons are said to have emigrated to Australia.

A picture of the house is not available apart from the one of the Institute which shows the east end only of the farmhouse.

CORNER FARM, HIGH STREET

Census Returns

1831

Mr G Gamson 6 males, 5 females
(Gervase Gamson married Mary Whitaker, by licence, 11/05/1801 at Beckingham).

1841

Gervase Gamson 55 Farmer
Mary Gamson 50
Ann Gamson 20
Stephen Gamson 12
Elizabeth Haynes 20 Farm Servant

1851 Schedule 37 Beckingham

Gervase Gamson Head M 68 Proprietor of Land Gringley
Mary Gamson Wife M 65 West Burton
Mary Jane Gamson Dau Unm 37 Beckingham
Ann Beech Servant 14 General Servant Gringley

1861 Schedule 87 High Street

Gervase Gamson Head M 78 Retired Farmer Gringley
Mary Gamson Wife M 74 West Burton
Elizabeth Fillingham Servant Unm 25 Domestic Servant North Wheatley

1871 Schedule 51 Top Street

Mark Benson Head Widower 26 Landowner Gainsborough

1881 Schedule 65 High Street

John Wilkinson Head M 36 Corn Miller Clayworth
Kate N Wilkinson Wife M 25 Sheffield
Margaret B Wilkinson Daughter 3 Beckingham

1891 Schedule 79 High Street 4 rooms

John Brumby Head M 26 Agricultural Labourer Scotherne, Lincolnshire
Kate Brumby Wife M 25 Gunthorpe
Annie Brumby Dau 3 Walkeringham, Nottinghamshire
Maud E Brumby Dau 1 Beckingham
(This part of the house could have been empty in 1891)
(This house seems to have been divided at some time, see the other list of census returns PJM).

1901 Schedule 93 High Street

William Laidlow Head M 57 Farmer Employer Ingham
Emma Laidlow Wife M 52 Snibstone, Leicestershire
William B Laidlow Son S 17 Pupil Teacher Ponton, Lincolnshire
Ethel A Laidlow Dau S 15 Ponton, Lincolnshire
Clara Boswell Servant S 19 General Servant Domestic Sturton
John W Butler Servant S 16 Horseman on Farm Worker Saxilby
George Burton Servant S 15 Cattleman Worker Kibworth, Yorkshire

CORNER FARM, HIGH STREET

Census Returns. Probably two dwellings, see the other list.

1831 Perhaps not divided at this date.

1841 Perhaps not divided at this date.

1851 Schedule 38 Beckingham

William Hill Head M 25 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Jane Hill Wife M 25 Sturton, Nottinghamshire
Ann E Hill Daughter 2 Beckingham

1861 Schedule 86 High Street

Walker Gray Head M 28 Farm Bailiff Misterton
Sarah Gray Wife M 27 Fillingham, Lincolnshire
Job Gray Son 4 Scholar Misterton
John Gray Son 3 Misterton
James Gray Son 2 Beckingham
Moses Gray Son 1 month Beckingham

1871 Schedule 52 Top Street

Walker Gray Head M 37 Farm Bailiff Misterton
Sarah Gray Wife M 36 Farm Bailiff's Wife Fillingham
James Gray Son 11 Scholar Beckingham
Moses Gray Son 10 Scholar Beckingham
Sarah Gray Dau 9 Scholar Beckingham
Walker Gray Son 6 Scholar Beckingham
Elizabeth Gray Dau 3 Scholar Beckingham
David Gray Son 4 months Beckingham

1881 Schedule 64 High Street

Walker Gray Head M 48 Agricultural Labourer Misterton
Sarah Gray Wife M 48 Fillingham
Moses Gray Son Unm 20 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Walker Gray Son Unm 16 Beckingham
Elizabeth Gray Dau 13 Beckingham
Annie Gray Dau 9 Scholar Beckingham
Minnie Gray Dau 7 Scholar Beckingham
Alice Gray Dau 4 Scholar Beckingham

1891 Probably the unoccupied dwelling between schedule 79 and 80.

Or Schedule 79, 4 rooms part of this divided house.

John Brumby Head M 26 Agricultural Labourer Scotherne, Lincolnshire
Kate Brumby Wife M 25 Gunthorpe
Annie Brumby Dau 3 Walkeringham
Maud E Brumby Dau 1 Beckingham

Census Returns Continued

1901 Schedule 93 High Street

William Laidlow Head M 57 Farmer Employer Ingham
Emma Laidlow Wife M 52 Snibstone, Leicester
William B Laidlow Son S 17 Pupil Teacher Ponton, Lincolnshire
Ethel A Laidlow Dau S 15 Ponton, Lincolnshire
Clara Boswell Servant S 19 General Servant Domestic Sturton
John W Butler Servant S 16 Horseman on Farm Worker Saxilby
George Burton Servant S 15 Cattleman Worker Kibworth, Yorkshire

WILL OF WILLIAM GAMSON OF GRINGLEY 04/06/1765

All lands in Beckingham and Gringley to wife Eliz. She to maintain son William. After her death all Gringley lands to second son James. Re Land at Beckingham purchased of John Bromhead and Thomas Parkyn and rest of estate there, after death of wife Eliz to son James, he to maintain son William. To the satisfaction of my son-in-law Gervase Woodhouse and my nephew Robert Cross. If William is neglected the Beckingham land is to go to G Woodhouse and R Cross for William's lifetime and then the Bromhead Parkyn land to James but wife Elizabeth's land in Beckingham to James for his lifetime and to his issue but if no issue I give it to my son John and if he die without issue to my daughter Mary and if she without issue then to William and after his death to my wife's rightful heirs and assigns. All Misterton lands to wife during minority of John then to John or, if he dies young, to James.

DECLARATION BY GERVASE GAMSON 13/06/1845 re SALE of the Estate of the late Dr Goetze to Mr John Rae 12 acres 1 rood 15 perches called South East Road and South West Road. On the east late the property of Robert Cross on north public high road, on west by parish of Gringley on south by property of Mrs Massingberd and Caroline Gamson. That the same two closes were formerly the estate of James Gamson deed my late father and were given to him by the will of his father William who purchased same from John Bromhead and Thomas Parkyn and were in the possession of the Gamson family for ninety years or thereabouts.

On the enclosure map of 1777 the land to the east was owned by Geoffrey Meynells heirs together with the Pear Tree Hill land. This land now forms Pear Tree Farm and is owned by the Bells. PJM 28/02/1989

The Gamsons of Gringley lived at Grange Farm.
James Gamson of Misterton buried at Beckingham 20/12/1890 aged 80.

Frances Gamson buried at Beckingham 08/01/1894 aged 5.



IMAGE12b-42
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Stamford Mercury 07/11/1828 P4 col 4 A shade is a shed, probably open fronted.

SALE OF GERVASE GAMSON'S FREEHOLD ESTATE 1828

Lot A R P

1  8  2  10  House, orchard, garden, homestead

2  6  3  23  South Field Close

3  7  1  35  Top Lane Side Close

4  25  0  12  Hall Close

5  10  0  10  Wood Close

6  7  0  00  Gringley Gap Close East End

7  8  0  00  Gringley Gap West End

8  6  0  00  West Roads Close, West

9  6  2  00  West Roads Close, East

10  16  1  36  North Roads Close, East

11  14  2  24  Ings Close
 ---------------------
  116 2 30

JAMES GAMSON 1779 ACREAGES

1779 Numbers A R P Was any of this property sold?
166, 167, 169 3 3 38 He seems to have continued in Beckingham
179, as a farmer after 1828.
168 3 3 20

23 6 0 21

27 7 1 08

31 27 2 20

215 6 1 25

214 3 1 32

242 5 1 37

243 10 0 20

NEW 5 2 16

244 6 2 32

Gringley Gap 16 0 16
North of turn
Pike NEW

Trentside NEW 14 1 16



IMAGE12b-43
(please click on the above text to view original image)
ELMS FARM MISTERTON Small Part of 19th century map showing Hickson land at Misterton - not found

James or John

C Colver says that I Gamson's house, built in 1779 on the north side of the corner, was so placed to block the old road running to Soss. This was probably James Gamson. Mr Stacey had the Elms Farm in the past 1939/1945 war period. Lawsons farmed there before Stacey.

Gervase Gamson of Beckingham owned the land at Beckingham which he advertised for sale in 1828.

Gervase Gamson married Mary Whitaker by licence 11/05/1808 at Beckingham.

1871 Census for Misterton

James Gamson lived at Chapel Street, Misterton and was described as farmer from Beckingham.

It is not clear from the news reports as to which Mr Gamson was involved in the dispute between him and the Parish Council about the ownership of a small piece land in Outgangs Lane. He was however described as of Beckingham.



IMAGE12b-44
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Stamford Mercury 10/05/1839 P2 col 3



IMAGE12b-45
(please click on the above text to view original image)
24/05/1839



IMAGE12b-46
(please click on the above text to view original image)
28/06/1839



IMAGE12b-47
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Stamford Mercury 28/06/1839 P 2 Col 3



IMAGE12b-48
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Stamford Mercury?



IMAGE12b-49
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Stamford Mercury?

IMAGE12b-50
Stamford Mercury? - not found

A vestry meeting was held in the church at Beckingham on Thursday the ? ultimate convened by Messrs Cross of Gringley and Watson of Walkeringham, landowners in the above parish for the purpose of coming to an amicable arrangement, if possible, with Mr Gamson, relative to the plot of ground the ownership of which is a matter of dispute between the parish and that gentleman: at which, after much noisy discussion a resolution was passed that the ground should be offered to Mr ? for now: this offer, however, was not accepted by Mr Gamson, and the matter remains in the same position as before.

Stamford Mercury 04/09/1840 P3 col 4

At a meeting of the parishioners of Beckingham on Thursday ? it was resolved to destroy the fences and fill up the dyke which Mr Gamson had caused to be made on the property of the parish so lately the subject of a trial at Nottingham assizes. At the conclusion of the meeting a ? band with the overseer at their head marched to the scene of action and commenced filling up the moat, in open defiance of the threats of the law lover, who appears to have taken advice from a "bran" new barrister, who it is said will in imitation of the brown skinned sybils that infest the by ways in that neighbourhood, deal him as much fair promise as he chooses to pay for.

Stamford Mercury 28/08/1840 P3 col 4

GAINSBOROUGH

The late rejoicing at Beckingham is threatened to be followed with consequences of such a nature as will make good the old adage "merry nights make sorrowful days". The all important vicar, a young man who has lately succeeded to the living, though fit to take umbrage at the proceedings, and interposed his authority to prevent the bells from ringing: the ringers heeded not the voice of the charmer but pulled and pealed away. Church wardens, parish clerk, and all the minor fry of the church were summoned before his Reverence, and interrogated as to the why and the wherefore of this uproar? But none could give satisfaction to his offended dignity. The excuse of the clergy of a neighbouring town for not interfering with the bell ringers to cause them to give a peal on the Queen's wedding day, has taught these villagers a lesson which the parson would as leaf they had never learned: besides this "Duncan" hath not borne his faculties so meekly, or been so high in his great office, that his virtues plead like angels trumpet tongued for notwithstanding the parishioners (with one solitary exception) were unanimous in opposing the encroachments of the defeated landowner, a well grounded report had gained circulation in the village that this should be peace-maker had offered to subscribe £20 towards moving for a new trial. The loss of his Reverences valuable sermonising at church is to be the result of all this refractory conduct of the parishioners he is said to have taken a bible oath never more to mount the pulpit so long as the present clerk of the parish is allowed to hold his office. So that the Beckinghamites may expect similar proceedings to those lately enacted at Stow.

Stamford Mercury 27/03/1840 P4 col 2

The long pending trial between the parish of Beckingham, near Gainsborough and Mr Gamson, farmer and landowner, of the same place was brought to a conclusion at Nottingham assizes last Friday. The dispute, as will be recollected by most of our readers was concerning the inclosing of some small gardens belonging to the parish, and which were allowed to so many poor men to cultivate for their own use gratis, with the view to keeping them from being burdensome to the parish: but which gardens Mr Gamson acting under the supposed authority of a recent Act of Parliament which admits of certain waste land by the road side being inclosed with the neighbouring property to a certain extent; thought fit sans ceremonie to enclose with his own land. The trial lasted for about three hours. And in the summing up of the evidence by Lord Denman, the Judge made some severe remarks on the injustice and folly of the rich in endeavouring to oppress the poor. The Jury returned a verdict in favour of the parish, the land having been inclosed by them several years before the landowner Mr Gamson discovered the benefit that would accrue from its being added to his own property. As soon as the result was known at Beckingham on Saturday, flags were hoisted on top of the church and the bells were rung until midnight, and again all Monday night and a general rejoicing throughout the town has been kept up by the bold peasantry.

Stamford Mercury 20/03/1840 P3 col 4

The dispute at Beckingham between the parish and the landowner who enclosed some small gardens belonging to the parish with his own ground, and which led to the destruction of the fences by an order from a meeting of the parishioners was settled for the present before the magistrates at Retford last week. Mr Plaskitt of Gainsborough was the attorney employed by the parish, and pointed out the illegality of the inclosure in so plain a manner as induced that Magistrates to give a verdict in favour of the parish who accordingly held a meeting the following day, when it was resolved that if the landowner did not remove the remains of his fences, they should be burnt. A notice to that effect was sent to the gentleman.

Stamford Mercury 24/05/1839

An affair of rather an awkward nature took place in the church at Beckingham a few days ago. A loving couple who had repaired there to be joined in the bonds of holy wedlock were somewhat discomfited by the Clergyman's asking the intended Bridegroom if that was his child (referring to one whom an interesting girl of some sixteen years of age was nursing in the church). The relentless daddy asked his reverence if that was any business of his? The Clergyman observed, "You may marry this young woman if you like but this young woman ought to be your lawful wife," pointing to the mother of the child. A good mister of the villagers had assembled, and seemed highly amused; and it must not be denied that the mother laughed, and appeared to relish the joke as heartily as any there present.

Stamford Mercury 24/05/1839

DISPUTE AT BECKINGHAM 1839-1840
PARISH V MR GAMSON

The site of the dispute is not made clear in the Stamford Mercury reports, but it is almost certain to be on the south side of Outgangs Lane (Old Trent Road) opposite the field just past the Watson Shipyard Houses. Gervase Gamson, whose farmstead was opposite where the Village Institute now stands, offered his house and land for sale in 1828 although he was then only 45. He appears to have continued to live in part of the farmhouse until he was 78 or more and in 1851 was described as Proprietor of land. So perhaps he could not, or did not sell in 1828, and continued to farm. In 1851 to 1881 a farm worker was living in the farm house, in 1861 and 1871 he was described as Farm Bailiff from Misterton. Possibly the farm was being managed by James Gamson of The Elms, Misterton, and it was he who was in dispute with the Parish Council. James seems to have had a reputation for being in dispute. At Misterton he is said to have built Elm House across the line of the road to Soss because of a dispute with Misterton Parish Council. Gervase Gamson did not own the two small fields adjoining the Beckingham allotments but he did own the large Hall Field (Close No 31 on the Enclosed Map, so it is quite likely that James would purchase any adjoining land that came up for sale. The two small closes were no 28, of 1a 1r and no 29 of 1a 1r 29p belonging in 1777 to W Walker and later to Mr Haselwood.

There was a similar enclosure of part of what is now called Vicarage Lane, probably also for an allotment garden. This was taken into the adjoining field circa 1980 by Richard Green who owned The Old Vicarage and had just bought this field. After complaints he restored the boundary.
The two small closes numbers 28 and 29 were sold by Mr Tong in 1962 and bought by Mr T Pickering.

The two allotments are farmed by Mr DiFuria and owned by perhaps Mr Pickering.

The contretemps, at the wedding in Beckingham Church, reported in the news cutting of 24/05/1939 could have the participants identified by consulting the Parish Registers of Marriages and Births.



IMAGE12b-51
(please click on the above text to view original image)
06/1994 No 21 Bell's Court, High Street was once Gamson's threshing barn.

IMAGE12b-52
– not found



IMAGE12b-53
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed 06/1996 Neg 13 House at High Street Corner, Beckingham. By-pass to the right 04/1996.

PAIR OF COTTAGES ADJOINING OLD JOINER'S SHOP AT INSTITUTE CORNER

1736 Perhaps no 139 No acreage or indication of ownership is given.

1777 Perhaps no 127 15 perches only, owned by Meynells.

Post 1779 Owned by Wm Turner

George Bee said that these cottages were occupied in the early 1890's by Mr Nicholson who worked at Messrs Marshall at Gainsborough, walking there and back each day as did others who worked there in pre-bicycle days. Work commenced at 6.00 am and finished at 5.00 pm. In the other was Mr Cambers a shipyard worker.

1842 William Turner apparently owned his cottage but was tenant with William Keightley of the two Moor Close numbers 194, 195 and 196 of 3 acres 0 roods 28 perches. William Turner was also tenant of Sedgey Close, no 205 of 5 acres 1 rood 21 perches. These closes were part of the Waterhouse-Massingberd estate inherited by Mary Jane Teale and sold to Miss Rudsdell. See Teale deeds.

1851 Census Schedule 35

William Turner Head M 70 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Ann Turner Wife M 76 Beckingham

1887 Sedge Close of 5 acres 1 rood 21 perches and a Moor Close of 1 acre 2 roods 00 perches had been let to J Walker along with the house and croft opposite Holme House. See Mrs Pearson's Teale Cottage deeds.

COTTAGES AT HIGH STREET CORNER

There appear to have been two cottages but at times there were three families living in them. As there was very little continuity of family occupiers I have grouped them in census years.

Census Returns

1831 John Brumhead 3 male, 2 females
1831 William Smith 1 male, 3 females

1841 An uninhabited dwelling.

1841 Thomas Turner 35 Agricultural Labourer
Mary Turner 25
Ann Turner 1

(A Thomas Turner married Mary Burley 02/12/1792. Obviously not this Thomas Turner).

1841

John Bartram 30 Tailor See them later on Bar Road PJM
Eliner Bartram 25
Henry Hird 14 AP
Henry Whttington 3

1851 Schedule 34 Beckingham

John Parkin Head M 28? Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Sarah Parkin Wife M 29? Tickhill, Yorkshire
Ann Parkin Dau 1 Beckingham

1851 Schedule 35 Beckingham

William Turner Head M 70 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Ann Turner Wife M 76 Beckingham

1851 Schedule 36 Beckingham

Thomas Turner Head M 40 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Mary Turner Wife M 35 Beckingham
Ann Turner Dau 11 Beckingham
George Turner Son 10 Scholar Beckingham
Sarah Turner Dau 7 Scholar Beckingham
Mary Turner Dau 4 Beckingham
Harriet Turner Dau 2 Beckingham

1861 These cottages appear not to be listed. Thomas Turner and family had moved to The Green. PJM

1871 Schedule 39 Top Street

Thomas Tooley Head M 35 Agricultural Labourer Metheringham, Lincolnshire
Mary Jane Tooley Wife M 25 Lincoln

1871 Schedule 40 Top Street

Joseph Schofield Head M 27 Blacksmith (Journeyman) Gringley
Mary Ann Schofield Wife M 22
Wilber E Schofield Son 4 months
1871 Schedule 41 Top Street

Mary Robinson Head Widow 77 Carpenter's Widow Beckingham
Sarah Robinson Dau Unm 50 Schoolmistress Beckingham
John Robinson G Son M 26 Joiner (Journeyman) Wheatley
Harriet Robinson G Dau M 23 Joiner's Wife Appleby
Henry Robinson G Son 3 Beckingham

1881 Schedule 66 High Street

Joseph Schofield Head M 36 Blacksmith (Master) Gringley
Mary A Schofield Wife M 32 Mattersey
Wilber E Schofield Son 10 Beckingham
Arthur ? Apprentice Unm 19 Apprentice Blacksmith Gainsborough

1881 Schedule 67 High Street

Samuel Wharton Head M 31 Carpenter (Master) Thorparch, Yorkshire
Sarah A Wharton Wife M 32 Misterton
Thomas Wharton Son 9 Scholar Gainsborough
Arthur Wharton Son 5 Scholar Beckingham
Frederick W Wharton Son 3 Beckingham

1891 Schedule 80 High Street 4 rooms

Richard W Downes Head M 23 Plater in Shipyard Poplar, London
Emily A Downes Wife M 22 Poplar, London
William H Downes Son 5 days Beckingham
Susanna Finch Mother-in-law 59 Barking, Essex

1891 Schedule 81 High Street 4 rooms

William Nicholson Head M 37 Machine Moulder North Muskham
Sarah Nicholson Wife M 29 Carlton in Lindrick
Mary Nicholson Dau 11 Scholar Carlton in Lindrick
Mary Hibberd Visitor S 21 General Servant Domestic Portsmouth

1901 Schedule 94 High Street 4 rooms

Arthur Gurnhill Head M 28 Engine Fitter Worker Beckingham
Emily Gurnhill Wife M 29 Gainsborough
Albert E Gurnhill Son 1 Beckingham

1901 Schedule 95 High Street 4 rooms

Spencer Atkin Head M 23 Railway Porter Worker Fossdyke, Lincolnshire
Lizzie A Atkin Wife M 21 Evedon, Lincolnshire

JOHN BEE

Although not a millwright he would be called upon to carry out joinery repairs at the mill such as replacing broken cogs in the wooden gear wheels. Information Fred Gosling.



IMAGE12b-54
(please click on the above text to view original image)
John Bee's cottage was demolished and rebuilt as a bungalow no 17 High Street, by Smithson's for daughter Eleanor
Mrs Elsham's Grandfather Mr John Bee and her uncle Ralph painting fence on the Green.



IMAGE12b-55
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Copied in 1994 from 1970 slide. High Street Joiners shop in 1970. This property at this date was owned by William Smithson and tenanted by T E Atkinson, an Agricultural Labourer. The cottage with hipped roof can be seen beyond the workshop. - not found

This cottage is no 19 High Street in 1999.

JOINER'S SHOP ON THE HIGH STREET

Census Returns

1831

Matthew Wagstaff 2 males, 3 females

1841

Matthew Wagstaff 65 Pig Jobber
Ann Wagstaff 60
Sarah Wagstaff 25
George ? 6
John ? 3

1851 Schedule 33 Beckingham

Matthew Wagstaff Head Widower 77 Cattle Jobber, 91 acres Beckingham
Sarah Wagstaff Dau Unm 37 Dressmaker Beckingham

1861 Schedule 88 High Street Apartment House (sic)

William Fillingham Head M 51 Carpenter and Publican Wiseton
Abigail Fillingham Wife M 55 Beckingham
Ann Fillingham Dau 16 Assistant at House South Wheatley

1871 Schedule 38 Top Street

William Berridge Head M 31 Wheelwright Scawby
Lucila Berridge Wife M 31 Alkborough
Charles F Walker Apprentice 18 Wheelwright (Apprentice) Brigg

1881 Schedule 68 High Street

John Bee Head M 35 Joiner and Wheelwright (Master) Misterton
Sarah J Bee Wife M 35 Gainsborough
Fanny J Bee Dau 9 Scholar Gainsborough
Alice Bee Dau 5 Scholar Beckingham
William Bee Son 2 Beckingham

1891 Schedule 84 High Street

John Bee Head M 45 Joiner and Wheelwright Misterton
Sarah J Bee Wife M 45 Gainsborough
William Bee Son 12 Scholar Beckingham
George H N Bee Son 8 Scholar Beckingham
Owen R Bee Son 10 months Beckingham

1901 Schedule 96 High Street

John Bee Head W 55 Joiner Carpenter Employer at home Misterton
Fanny Bee Dau S 29 Gainsborough
William Bee Son S 22 Joiner Worker Beckingham
George H Bee Son S 18 Joiner Worker Beckingham
Ralph C Bee Son S 10 Beckingham

JOINERS SHOP ON HIGH STREET OPPOSITE INSTITUTE HOUSES

1736 Probably one or both of plots 140 and 141 on the map.

1777 This was plots 125 and 126 on the enclosure map, belonging to Thomas Lane and Geo Cliff respectively.

1779 or some time after, this belonged to Matthew Wagstaff and George Barrowcliffe. It was perhaps M Wagstaff's son who lived here in 1831, 1841 and 1851. It was Matthew Wagstaff, yeoman who is 1853 made a declaration concerning Thomas Waterhouse's will. Matthew was then 79 and his father had been a tenant of the Waterhouse Estate.

The plots were at some time amalgamated. George Bee says in his essay that this was his birthplace. His father John was for 50 years the village joiner, wheelwright and undertaker, having taken over the business from Mr W Berridge.

1885 Ordinance Survey map shows a pump in the yard.

C1890 George Bee remembers that when he was three he fell into the open drain that ran past the house, alongside the village High Street. There was a saw pit on the premises where two men worked the long whip saw, one at the top and one in the pit. It was here that the curved felloes which formed the wheel rims were sawn out of ash planks 4-5 inches thick.

1912 Kelly's Nottinghamshire - John Bee, joiner and wheelwright.

The workshop windows on the east side were of the usual style ie there were only vertical glazing bars, and the glass, probably off cuts was slotted in like weatherboarding.

1967 Electoral Register ATKINSON Thomas E, Sylvia W, Elsie M, Thomas H.

1970 Electoral Register ATKINSON Elsie M, Thomas H, and Edwin J.

After the Bee family left, the property was bought by Arthur Smithson for a farm worker's cottage, and for several years it was occupied by the Atkinson family.

The cottage was brick and pantile with a hipped roof. It faced east, and across the narrow yard was the joiner's shop facing the cottage.

Both house and workshop were demolished circa 1980 and a bungalow built for Eleanor Smithson, but she has since moved away.

See George Bee's memoirs of the village and its occupants in a separate booklet.



IMAGE12b-56
(please click on the above text to view original image)
1901 John Bee's Day Book 1896 17 High Street Joiner's Shop rebuilt as a bungalow by Smithsons for their daughter Eleanor.



IMAGE12b-57
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Doncaster Chronicle 21/06/1956 article about Beckingham village.



IMAGE12b-57a
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Doncaster Chronicle 21/06/1956 Michael Proudley is second from right of picture Beckingham County School
Jean Scrafield, then Elsham is in centre of bottom picture.

BECKINGHAM SCHOOL

This was built to replace the school on the other leg of High Street built in 1854. It is sited, along with the one time schoolhouse and the village Institute and institute houses on the Clappin Close no 138 on the 1736 map. Acreage 1 acre 1 rood 28 perches, letter e, ie belonging to William Burton.

In 1777 the Enclosure Map gives the owner as T Duckle, close no 128 acreage 1 acre 1 rood 26 perches.

Mr George Bee in his memoirs says that this school was built on land given by Mr Watson. Mr Bee recalls " the somewhat bitter feelings that were aroused over whether the old village school should be enlarged out of public "rates" or a new school should be built. The old school was and is the property of the Church of England people, so a poll of the inhabitants was taken on "Church v Chapel" and resulted in a win for the Chapel and a School Board was formed. A new school was then built (1901) and is now known as the County School (1959)."

In 1972 the estate of John Surfleet was sold. Lot 2 was bought by Mee and Company and became the school playing field and the site of the school extension on the north side of the 1901 school. Sale details are with notes on The Limes, High Street.

Gainsborough News 11/05/1900 - The Beckingham School Board after a tedious interval have had the plans for a new school which were prepared by Mr W Southall of Retford provisionally passed by the Education Department.

Mr John Bee's Joiner's Day Book 1896 - 1919 has recently come to light and has been given to Mrs Laura Elsham, John Bee's granddaughter by Mr Dudley of Vicarage Lane. This book gives an interesting insight into the life of The Times and in particular the lives of the inhabitants of Beckingham.

In the first years of the record John Bee mentions Billy, who was perhaps an employee or apprentice. Later he mentions Bert who would be his son George Herbert Bee. A photograph I have showing two men painting the railings around the village green is said to be of John Bee and Ralph. I do not know who Ralph was, but may be able to find out from Mrs Elsham or from the 1901 census returns when they become available.

IMAGE12b-57b
Copied from Gainsborough News by Mrs Susan Edlington
-not found



IMAGE12b-58
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Above: Beckingham School circa 1910 Copied ? Neg 14 from Mrs Daubney's postcard.
Beckingham School Pupils in 1 From Mrs Daubney's PC 02/1993 Neg 14
She was sister of Albert Curtis, also of Mrs Charles Needham, Mrs Herbert Needham and Mrs Robinson.

Back Row Left to Right
Albert Curtis, ??, John Curtis, ??, ??, Les Selby, ??, Herbert Gill, ??, ??, Miss Byron

Middle Row
Mrs Arthur, Vera Arthur, ??, ? Ingall, Alice Proudley, ??, Gwen Selby, ??, ??, ??,Kath Selby.

Front Row
Edna Selby, Herbert Proudley, ??, Mr Arthur, ??, ??, ??.

On ground in front
??



IMAGE12b-59
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Beckingham School in 1935 or 1937 Copied November or December from Miss Wallhead's original.
Beckingham School Teachers and Pupils in 1935 or 1937. Copied from Miss Wallhead's original November/December 1988.

Back Row Left to right
Mr Williamson, John Brumby, Bob Gill, Terry Wallhead, Brian Hogdon

Second Row
Oliver Bosley, Chich Brumby, ? Nundy, Fred Wright, Norman Adams, ? Nundy, Miss Pickles

Third Row
Jean Crawford, Eve Gill, Barbara Ellis, Betty Barlow, Marion Piper?, Masie Taylor

Front Row
Rosa Wright, Doreen Mosey, Robena Dickinson, Marion Piper, Jean Williams, Joan Callaby



IMAGE12b-60
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Beckingham School Children at Orchard House c1950/1951 From Alan Goslings original

Back Row Left to Right
Jean Elsham, Michael Proudley, Gerald Taylor, Joyce Gill, Veronica Daubney, Janet Taylor, (Taylors are not brother and sister)

Middle Row
Alan Gosling, Brian Baxter, Janet Smith, Brian Turner, Joyce Atkinson, Maureen Taffe, Garry Johnson.

Front Row
Ann Walker, Brenda Dalton, Diane McGlasham, Michael William Bridge, Nina Oatby.

Married Jean Scrafield
Names Veronica Simons,
Back

Middle

Front Brenda Marriott



IMAGE12b-61
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed December 1993 Neg 21A Built in 1901 to replace the schoolroom built in 1854 BECKINGHAM BOARD SCHOOL



IMAGE12b-62
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed December 1993 Neg 23A Beckingham School House now privately owned.



IMAGE12b-63
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Gainsborough News 20/12/1974 Two pupils Stephanie Proudley and John Cuthbert presented Mrs Long with a beautiful bouquet of flowers from the children.



IMAGE12b-64
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Daily Express 1980



IMAGE12b-65
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Beckingham School Extract from an article about Beckingham in the Doncaster Chronicle of 21/06/1956



IMAGE12b-66
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Retford Times P6 Beckingham takes best kept honours 17/12/1998



IMAGE12b-67
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Beckingham Primary School Notice



IMAGE12b-68
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Copy of letter from PJM to Nick Laurie

Mrs Eric Atkinson says that Mrs Lamb nee Burden, her mother was housekeeper for School master Mr Arthur.

Mr Fred Gosling remembers that when at school during the Great War the children were each given a piece of cloth which had to be pulled apart, thread by thread for the war effort. His fingers were very sore as a result.



IMAGE12b-69
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Gainsborough Standard 18/12/1998 Article about Beckingham Primary School has won Best Kept School Competition



IMAGE12b-70
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Beckingham, Nottinghamshire School end of High Street looking west from Bar Road corner towards Institute corner. On the left, Top Street farm and Joiners shop and house. Gamson's farm in the middle distance and on the right is the school house, school and Institute.



IMAGE12b-71
(please click on the above text to view original image)
1940 Enlarged detail map of Beckingham



IMAGE12b-72
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Copied from a slide High Street Farm House in 1975



IMAGE12b-73
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Part of the High Street looking eastwards. Buildings on the right were part of High Street Farm steading. Date of picture not known but looks to be post World War II.

HIGH STREET FARMSTEAD, OPPOSITE THE SCHOOL NOW THE MEADOWS ESTATE, EXCEPT FOR THE FARMHOUSE

1736 This was William Burton's homestead, no 143, 2 acres 1 rood 00 perches.

1777 and 1779 This was then Thomas Duckle's homestead no 123, 2 acres 2 roods 15 perches.

John Gagg was the occupier in 1891 and appears to have been succeeded by his son Fred who was there in 1932. (See Kelly's Directory). After this it was bought by Mr Arthur Smithson along with Fretwell Farm.

Around 1970 or a little earlier the farmstead and house were sold to Ernest Levick who later sold the property, apart from the house, for housing development. The buildings which included a Dutch barn, a brick barn and other buildings were demolished and the site became the Meadows housing estate. I did hear that the threshing barn was timber framed and aisled, but brick clad.

In the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's there was a wooden hut in the south east corner of the stack yard, next the Hare and Hounds Public House, which was a fish and chip shop run by Hattersley of Gringley. This and their fish and chip shop in Gringley High Street besides catering for local people, also got trade from the Sheffield to the Coast coach trips in summer.

Kelly 1932 Frank Hattersley, fish dealer. Fred Gagg, farmer.

George Bee c1895 John Gagg, farmer.

It is not clear as to why the farm was only 4 acres in 1871.

The 1885 map shows a pump near the south west corner of the house.

Kelly's 1900 - John Gagg, farmer.

Farmhouse - Stands back from High Street and faces east.
Brickwork - Walls rendered.
Roof - Pantiles.

There have been many alterations through the years, but blocked doorways and windows are hidden by the rendering. The sale catalogue picture shows Georgian style sash windows, and a front door which is now blocked.

HIGH STREET FARM OPPOSITE THE SCHOOL

Census Returns

1831

Mr G Harwood 3 males, 3 females

1841

William Clayton 30 Farmer
Mary Clayton 30
Elizabeth Clayton 4 months
Mary Brown 15 Farm Servant
William Piycot 25 Agricultural Labourer
Charles Darron 20 Male Servant
David Spittlehouse 15 Male Servant

1851 Schedule 32 Beckingham

William Clayton Head M 42 Farming 9 acres North Wheatley
Mary Clayton Wife M 39 Blyth
Hannah Clayton Dau 8 Scholar Beckingham
Elizabeth Clayton Dau 5 Scholar Beckingham
John F ? Servant 18 Waggoner North Wheatley

1861 Schedule 89 High Street

William Clayton Head M 54 Farmer 100 acres Sturton
Mary Clayton Wife M 49 Farmer's Wife Blyth
Hannah Clayton Dau Unm 18 Farmer's Daughter Beckingham
Elizabeth Clayton Dau Unm 15 Farmer's Daughter Beckingham
Samuel Milns Servant 16 Farm Servant (Carter) Torksey
Ellen ? Niece 6 Gringley

1871 Schedule 37 Top Street

John Gurnhill Head M 44 Farmer, occupying 4 acres of land Beckingham
Eleanor Gurnhill Wife M 39 Sutterton Fen
Thomas Gurnhill Son 15 Farmer's Son Beckingham
Frederick Gurnhill Son 11 Scholar Walkeringham
William Gurnhill Son 5 Scholar Beckingham

(Perhaps William Clayton was related to John Clayton who was a shepherd at Marsh Farm in 1871. Both born at Sturton).

1881 Schedule 69 High Street

Henry Hill Head M 32 Farmer and Cattle Dealer Misterton
Mary A Hill Wife M 26 Epworth
Frederick Hill Son 2 Beckingham
Alice Mary Hill Dau 1 Beckingham
Charles Hill Brother Unm 20 Cattle Dealer's Assistant Misterton
George Needham Servant Unm 24 Farm Servant Indoors Walkeringham
Alice Pettit Servant Unm 15 General Servant Owston Ferry

1891 Schedule 85 High Street

John Gagg Head M 41 Farmer Misterton
Mary Gagg Wife M 44 Misterton
George W Gagg Son S 16 Farmer's Son Misterton
Fred Gagg Son 13 Farmer's Son Misterton
Annie M J Gagg Dau 8 Scholar Misterton
Harold D Gagg Son 5 Scholar
Fanny Sampson Servant S 19 General Servant (Domestic) Beckingham
Alice Crowder Visitor S 24 Dressmaker Gringley

1901 Schedule 97 High Street

Left after delivery of schedule.

HIGH STREET FARMHOUSE, BECKINGHAM

19 February 1897 John Bee recorded in his Day Book as follows:-

"Gagg J To new board for shade to tree 6s 0p"
The following day was booked the following:-
"Gagg J to fixing shade over tree 1s 6p"
"1 plum tree planted on pigeon cote 1s 3p"

Why wood was needed to shade a tree is not clear, and surely the plum tree was planted by, rather than on the pigeon cote. It is not known when the pigeon cote was demolished, where it stood or its architectural style.

John Bee's joiner's house and workshop was nearby, opposite the Institute houses. The memoirs of his son, George Bee, have been published.



IMAGE12b-74
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Sale 1970 Copied from Beckingham file in Retford Library. High Street Farm.



IMAGE12b-75
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Sale at Beckingham, Nottinghamshire by Drewery and Wheeldon 1970



IMAGE12b-76
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Sale 1970 "Top Farm", Beckingham. Now known as High Street Farm (House only)



IMAGE12b-77
(please click on the above text to view original image)
John Taylor's shop and Post Office on High Street at junction with Bar Road. Circa 1900.



IMAGE12b-78
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Below: The same shop in 1975 when run by Gainsborough Cooperative Society.

SHOP ON HIGH STREET, ADJOINING GILL LANE

In 1736 this was plot 138, 1 acre 1 rood 38 perches, it belonged to Thomas Hall and known as Clappin Close.

In 1777 this was plot 129 belonging to Thomas Waterhouse and of 1 acre 2 roods 06 perches. No buildings are shown. Thomas Waterhouse inherited this as part of the estate of his brother-in-law Thomas Hall. The close was probably built on after 1840 when the Waterhouse estate was dispersed. (The other Clappin Close adjoined to the west).

In 1842 this property had been inherited by Mary Jane Teale with the division of the Waterhouse-Massingberd Estate in 1840. (Teale Cottage Deeds). The tenants in 1842 were John Harewood and George Hall, of the cottage, outbuildings, garden and Clappin Close. George Hall is also given as tenant of Ivy House, so he perhaps had the Close and Harewood, this cottage.

1891 Sarah Nettleship, widow of 70, born Beckingham is grocer.
Her son Charles, single, 39 is given as farmer.

In 1887 John Byron was tenant and Miss Mary Rudsdell was the owner (Teale Deeds).

George Bee, writing a few years later, gives the shopkeeper in c1895 as John Taylor, shop and Post Office. (See old photograph) (John Taylor - see Kelly's 1908 and 1912, Secretary of Reading Room Committee. Mrs Taylor known as Luvvie Taylor).

1932 Kelly's gives Mrs Annie Maria Taylor as shopkeeper.

Later it was taken over by the Cooperative Society who ran it as a grocery until about 1980, when it was brought by Ray Simpson and name Centre Point. The flat over the shop was occupied by Mrs Sayers until she died c1985.

Confirmation is needed that the picture opposite is of the Beckingham Coop Shop.
Brickwork - Old part rendered.
Roof - Old part pantiles, Victorian part Welsh slate.
1885 map shows a pump at rear.

1887 This house buildings and garden had been sold by the Teales to Miss Mary Rudshell and was listed separately from Clappin Close which was let to John Byron. This house was let to Mrs Nettleship.

The 1891 census gives Ann Webster widow 67, grocer, born at Cottam and Sarah Brownlow, boarder, S 32, grocer's assistant living on Low Street, at Fretwell Farm, Schedule 21, but probably working at this High Street Shop.

1994 The house has been empty and for sale for some months after the break-up of the Simpson's marriage but has now been repainted and occupied, so has probably been sold.

SHOP ON HIGH STREET ADJOINING GILL LANE

Census Returns

1831 Occupier - Not certain.

1841 Occupier - Not certain.

1851 Schedule 31 Beckingham

Sarah Webster Head Unm 30 Shopkeeper Beckingham
Sarah Padley Servant Unm 11 House Servant North Wheatley

1861 Schedule 90 High Street

Sarah Nettleship Head W 40 Grocer Beckingham
Annie E Brownlow Cousin Unm 17 Domestic Servant Barnham, Lincolnshire
Charles Nettleship Son 9 Butcher Beckingham

1871 Schedule 36 The Green Grocer's Shop

Sarah Nettleship Head W 50 Grocer Beckingham
Charles Nettleship Son 19 Butcher Beckingham

1881 Schedule 70 High Street

Emma Brownlow Cousin Unm 27 Housekeeper Haxey
Sarah Brownlow Cousin Unm 22 Assistant Haxey

1891 Schedule 86 High Street Grocer's Shop

Sarah Nettleship Head W 70 Grocer Beckingham
Charles Nettleship Son S 39 Farmer (Employer) Beckingham
Emily Cooper Servant 15 General Servant Domestic Beckingham

1901 Schedule 98 High Street, Post Office

John Taylor Head M 45 Grocer and Postmaster Gainsborough
Anne Taylor Wife M 38 Wathon Dearn, Yorkshire
Percy Taylor Son S 16 Shipwrights Apprentice Gainsborough Worker
Winifred Taylor Dau S 15 Gainsborough
Edith Taylor Dau S 13 Gainsborough
Elsie Taylor Dau 10 Gainsborough
Edwin Taylor Son 6 Beckingham
Doris Taylor Dau 6 Beckingham
Christine Taylor Dau 3 Beckingham

SHOP ON HIGH STREET ADJOINING GILL LANE

Census Returns

1831 Occupier - Not certain.

1841 Occupier - Not certain.

1851 Schedule 31 Beckingham

Sarah Webster Head Unm 30 Shopkeeper Beckingham
Sarah Padley Servant Unm 11 House Servant North Wheatley

1861 Schedule 90 High Street

Sarah Nettleship Head W 40 Grocer Beckingham
Annie E Brownlow Cousin Unm 17 Domestic Servant Barnham, Lincolnshire
Charles Nettleship Son 9 Butcher Beckingham

1871 Schedule 36 The Green Grocer's Shop

Sarah Nettleship Head W 50 Grocer Beckingham
Charles Nettleship Son 19 Butcher Beckingham

1881 Schedule 70 High Street

Emma Brownlow Cousin Unm 27 Housekeeper Haxey
Sarah Brownlow Cousin Unm 22 Assistant Haxey

1891 Schedule 86 High Street Grocer's Shop

Sarah Nettleship Head W 70 Grocer Beckingham
Charles Nettleship Son S 39 Farmer (Employer) Beckingham
Emily Cooper Servant 15 General Servant Domestic Beckingham

1901 Schedule 98, High Street, Post Office

John Taylor Head M 45 Grocer & Postmaster Gainsborough
Anne Taylor Wife M 38 Wathon Dearn, Y
Percy Taylor Son S 16 Shipwrights apprentice Gainsborough worker
Winifred Taylor Dau S 15 Gainsborough
Edith Taylor Dau S 13 Gainsborough
Elsie Taylor Dau 10 Gainsborough
Edwin Taylor Son 6 Beckingham
Doris Taylor Dau 6 Gainsborough
Christine Taylor Dau 3 Gainsborough

Sarah Nettleship buried at Beckingham 25/07/1893 aged 74.



IMAGE12b-79
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Clapton House, High Street 1921. Mrs Askews with the dog. Mrs Askew moved here from Rotherham, their daughter Grace married William Proudley here in Beckingham.



IMAGE12b-80
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Taylor Family Wedding Beckingham 1922. Taken at the rear of the shop. John Taylors then the coop shop and now a private house.

Taylor Family Wedding - Beckingham 1922

Back Row Left to Right

Edith Balance nee Taylor, Oswald Balance, ?, Arthur Hawkesford, Elsie Hawkesford nee Taylor,?

Middle Row Left to Right

?, Bobby Stone, ? Edgar Beevers, Doris Derry nee Taylor, Tom Derry, Doris Taylor wife of Edwin Beevers Taylor

Bottom Row Left To Right

Rev, Annie Taylor Postmistress and Grocer, Christine Stone nee Taylor, Roberts senior Bridegroom, Winifred Taylor bride, Bill Roberts, Son of Bridegroom, John Percy Taylor Postmaster and Grocer

Bridesmaids - Left Lilian Derry? Right Vida Derry



IMAGE12b-82
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Developed 08?1993 Neg 22A. A shop from c1850 to 1980. Now a private house named Centrepoint.



IMAGE12b-83
(please click on the above text to view original image)
Hut from the Gables, Saundby said to have originally been the rate collectors hut, situated near Gill Lane, Beckingham opposite The Green.

Photograph by Mr R Fletcher 2000. Hut at Hagues, The Gables, Saundby used for many years as a hen hut, store etc.

Said to have earlier been the Council Rate Collectors Office in Beckingham. Placed in the garden of the house on the east side of Gill Lane's southern end. House called Fairview.

SOUTHOLME, HIGH STREET OPPOSITE VILLAGE GREEN

Gainsborough News 09/09/1949. Advertised by Stokes for sale by auction at The Sun Hotel, Gainsborough, 13/09/1949.

Southolme, a modern bungalow opposite The Green. VP
Included was a large shed.

Was the above mentioned shed once known as Green's Hut and used by the Home Guard during the war? Fred Gosling says the hut was near Gill Lane and the adjoining house, Fairview. It appears to me that it was near the street and fronted the plot on which a post World War II bungalow has been built between the house once occupied by Butcher Needham and the pre-war bungalow occupied by Bill Saville, who has since died. 2005 The hut is now discussed at Hugh Smith's Nurseries, Was used as their shop-photograph in folder.

Fairview was occupied by "Butcher" Needham when he retired c1960. His shop was at Gringley.

www.beckingham-northnotts.org.uk
This website has been funded by:

logo logo logo logo logo logo
Local Heritage Initiative
Heritage Lottery Fund
Nationwide
National Lottery
Home  |  About Us  |  Links  |  Contact Us  |  Site Map