Title Image

File 14 – Work in progress!

Peter Mason File 14

Bar Road

BECKINGHAM HALL OR BECKINGHAM HOUSE AS IT WAS PREVIOUSLY KNOWN.

This house along with a large acreage of land and many homesteads, was owned in the first three quarters of the eighteenth century by a succession of Thomas Halls; father, son and grandson. The Hall family had been yeoman farmers in Beckingham, Nottinghamshire, from as early as the beginning of the sixteenth century. The middle Thomas Hall rebuilt the house circa 1750. It was the servant of the last Thomas Hall who returning from Gainsborough Market on Tuesday 23 December 1760, found the ferry pulling away from the side and imprudently jumped his horse onto it, with the result that it shot to the centre of the river and overturned. Several people were drowned but others survived by hanging onto horses’ tails and stirrups, a woman was saved by the pig she had bought at market and a man floated to safety with his basket of fowl.

The third Thomas Hall was the last of the line and on his death in 1774 the property was inherited by his brother in law Thomas Waterhouse of Bramley near Rotherham, who was then living at Upton Hall near Gainsborough with his wife Anne nee Hurt. Her sister Elizabeth Hurt married James Dealtry J.P., merchant of Gainsborough. Anne and Elizabeth were the daughters of Charles Hurt and Elizabeth Hawksmore. Charles was a descendant of the Derbyshire family of that name. He left his wife and emigrated to the U.S.A. where he is said to have had a second family. Elizabeth his wife was a descendant of the Hawksmores of Ragnall and East Drayton, but several generations had lived at Upton near Gainsborough. Nicholas Hawksmore, the architect, is said to have been related. Eastland Hawksmore, brother of Elizabeth, built what is now the Court House opposite the Sun Inn, Market Street, Gainsborough.

Anne and Thomas Waterhouse had two children, both girls. Anne was born at Beckingham in 1774 and Elizabeth Hawksmore in 1777. Throsby in his additions to Thoroton’s Nottinghamshire said “Mr Waterhouse lives happily amongst his neighbours, highly respected, and for his amusement keeps a pack of harriers.”
The enclosures of 1776 to1779 gave Thomas an estate in Beckingham of about 500 acres along with his homesteads in the village. In 1787 he was for that year High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire, and in that year he laid the foundation stone for the Trent Bridge at Gainsborough, in which he had invested L.1,000.

Mrs Waterhouse (see her letters) took an increasing interest in Methodism. She and her brother in law, Matthew Waterhouse of Bramley, dined with John Wesley at the house of Mr and Mrs Gervase Woodhouse at Owston Ferry. Matthew built a chapel at Bramley which was visited by Wesley, but Thomas said it would be a capital place to put his dogs in when he visited Bramley. Thomas is said to have armed himself with pistols and had several changes of horse when travelling thence.

John Wesley in his letter of 5th July 1790 to Mrs Waterhouse, said of her elder daughter “but also of my dear Miss Waterhouse, who I trust, will (in spite of that Deadly Enemy the Gay World) be wise above her years”.

Alas the high hopes for Miss Anne were dashed when she eloped to Gretna Green with Dymoke Wells, son of the rector of Willingham. When the couple returned they were remarried in Beckingham Church, by licence, on 30 January 1793. He was twenty and she was eighteen.

Thomas Waterhouse persuaded his wife, somewhat against her will, to give her Willingham and Kexby estates to their daughter Anne. Dymoke Wells also inherited his mother’s Grebby Hall Estate in Lincolnshire, but still succeeded in becoming bankrupt. Nevertheless their children were well educated and one noted descendant is Anthony Powell, the well known author.

The other Waterhouse daughter, Elizabeth, was married at age sixteen to Thomas Massingberd from Gunby Hall near Skegness. It was a relation of his, perhaps his mother, who introduced the poet Byron to moneylenders, which seems to have put him in debt for the rest of his life. Thomas Massingberd joined the navy at age fourteen and spent much of his life therein. He served first as Volunteer 1st Class, then as A.B., later midshipman, Lieutenant, Captain and retired as commander in 1822. Much of his time was spent in the West Indies, and he also served on HMS Victory in home waters and at Gibraltar. Their first two children were born at Skelbrook near Doncaster; what they were doing there is not certain. The next one was baptised at Lincoln and perhaps the fourth, for she died young and was buried there. The next two were born at Southampton and the last at Candlesby. Thomas seems to have inherited Candlesby House from his brother John.

Thomas Waterhouse died in 1795 and judging by the comments by his widow in a letter to her niece he owed a lot of money and some land had to be sold. The estate was left mainly in trust, first to Mrs Waterhouse, then to Mrs Massingberd, then to Mrs Massingberd’s children, excepting the eldest son; although he was not yet born. One of the trustees of the estate was William Hornby who was a partner in the Gainsborough Bank which failed and reduced him to penury. He had invested L.100,000 in the bank and there was no limited liability. Mrs Waterhouse later married in 1799, Gervase Parnell, a surgeon of Silver Street, Gainsborough, and it is likely that the house was let until occupied by her daughter Mrs Massingberd. It is not clear who built the gazebo which has the date 1803 scratched on the lead cap, but the coach-house and stables were built by Elizabeth Hawksmore Massingberd in 1827.

The Massingberds were residing in the house in 1831 when the census was taken but Thomas also owned Candlesby. Despite having two houses they spent the later part of their lives at the then fashionable town of Scarborough. They had seven children, two boys and five girls, two of whom had died young. On the death of their mother the estate was held by the younger son and the three living daughters. The elder son was not a benficary of his grandfather’s will, besideds which he was said to be an outlaw living in St. Petersburg. His decendants now live in Helsinki. Hompesch, the younger son, and his three sisters had the estate divided into four roughly equal parts and drew lots to decide who should have which part. Besides the property in Beckingham there was (1840) land at Long Sutton and Sutton St. Mary, the lordship of the manor of Belchford and land, L.1,400 invested in Gainsborough Toll Bridge and Turnpike road, and the Albion Coffee House, Humber Street, Hull. There was also the Withernsea Estate which may have been sold earlier. Hompesch was the vicar of Upton near Gainsborough, but he paid a curate to take the services there whilst he lived in Scarborough, writing letters to the Bishop of Lincoln pleading ill health. He married Miss Sarah Fretwell of Beckingham. When he retired he moved to Canada. He died in 1887 aged 90.

The lot that included this house was drawn by Ellen who had married George Metcalfe, a merchant. Their daughters who lived in Scarborough sold the house and some of the land to Charles Cross of Glentworth Heath in 1868. He is said to have rebuilt the west front of the house in c.1880 but never lived here. During much of the second half of the nineteenth century the house and land was let to a family of farmers called Newbold and has continued ever since as a farm rather than a gentleman’s estate. Another tenant had several children two of whom are said to have had an incestuous relationship which resulted in a child being born. If this story is true, the scandal must have rocked the village. A sad event ended the tenancy of another farmer. John Dickenson, (whose son was farming at Pear Tree Hill) took his own life by cutting his throat in the pigeon loft, in February 1932.

The farmstead was never a substantial one, being built to supply the house rather than a commercial farm. Even so there was once a gin race outside the barn at the northern end for working barn machinery. It is marked on the 1885 O.S. map. The barn was possibly a threshing barn but it does not have opposing doors and diamond shaped ventilator holes. The pigeon cote once had an attractive lead roofed glover on the ridge, but this collapsed in the 1950s and has not been replaced. The tenant in 1851 was Thomas Newbold who farmed 450 acres with 14 labourers.

Hall Cottage was condemned when the tenants (Leggots) died, and the site of an acre was sold off and a new house built.

The farm is now 150 acres in extent, 122 east of the house and 28 on the Gringley Road. Several fields have oilwells. Plus 14 acres in 1998.
and sing this day thy victory;
then shall that full further the flight in me.

My tender age in sorrow did begin
and still with sickness and shame
thou didst so punish sin
that I became
most thin
with thee
let me combine
and feel this day thy victory
for if I graft my wing on thine
affliction shall advance the flight in me.
George Herbert (1593 – 1633).

LOCAL HISTORY

THE DEMOLITION OF LOW STREET FARM

This was once Mr and Mrs Proudley’s Low Street Farm, so called, even though the main entrances were from Church Street. It is said to have been the Rodney Inn, but I have no documentary evidence for this. Admiral Rodney (1719-92) was famous for victory in two great battles against the French and Spanish in 1780 and 1782. In 1777 at the time of the enclosures this site was called Church Close, approximately 1 ¼ acres in extent and belonged to the Meynell Estate. This estate was dispersed at this time and this close was bought by Thomas Tong, and continued to be owned by that family until sold in 1962. Records show the property had become a homestead by 1779, belong to Thomas Tong, who had bought a total of 47acres 2rods 27perch in the parish. The house was once two-storied only and the gable end parapets finished off with tumbled brickwork, which was traditional in the second half of the eighteenth Century. The tumbling was still visible, even though a third storey was added many years ago.

It is not clear if the house was erected as an inn or a farmhouse. My guess is that it was a farmhouse, built in the 1770’s that became an inn in the 1780’s when Admiral Rodney was famous; but probably, as it was not on the Turnpike Road, it did not survive for long as an inn. An indication of when it was an inn was given when a quantity of broken long stemmed clay pipes were found behind a cupboard. Some pipe bowls were decorated with the Masonic Arms and made by Edward Sherry of Gainsborough who was in business in 1820. The census returns from 1831 to 1891 give no reference to the householder being an innkeeper, so it had probably gone out of business.

With regard to the pining pen, slaughterhouse and butcher’s shop, the census returns make no reference to a butcher living here but a Mr Maltby, who was probably tenant in 1831 was given as a butcher in White’s 1832 Directory. William Webster was living here in 1861 farming 43 acres; by 1871 his acreage had increased to 101. He then moved to Fretwell Farm and his place was taken by Charles Graves with 98 acres.

The tenant in 1891 was Henry Emmerson who, besides being a farmer, ran a threshing set. When Henry (he was Harold’s grandfather) retired in 1927 the tenancy was taken by Mr Edward Proudley, and later by his son Robert. After the death of Mrs Alice Proudley in May1993 the house continued to be occupied by Mr Richard Proudley until December 1993 when he moved to Walkeringham. Demolition of the house and buildings commenced 10/01/1994. The bricks and tiles have been carefully salvaged, and now, eight weeks later, little is left but rubble.

P.J. Mason. 08/03/1994

THE FARMHOUSE, LOW STREET
Census Returns

1831 Census

1841 Census, Low Street (possibly these were the occupiers)
Barry Gladwin 35 Merchant
Ann Gladwin 30
John Gladwin 30
Mary Gladwin 20
Gladwin 2
Ann Reynolds 15
James Sutton 40
Mary Sutton 40

1851 Census
Schedule 76, Beckingham. Born at
Isaac Holmes Head Married 55 Farmer, 14 acres ? Lincs
Hannah Holmes Wife Married 38 – Beckingham, N.
Ann Hall Daughter – 7 Scholar Beckingham, N.
John Holmes Son – 6 Scholar Beckingham, N.
Betsy Holmes Daughter – 5 – Beckingham, N.
Sarah Holmes Daughter – 4 – Beckingham, N.
Maria Holmes Daughter – 2 – Beckingham, N.
(In 1861 Hannah Holmes is a charwoman living on The Green , Schedule 101.)

1861 Census
Low Street, Schedule 43.
Thomas Byron Head Married 46 Farmer of 16 acres Beckingham
Jane Byron Wife Married 48 – Leverton
John Byron Son – 13 Scholar Beckingham

1871 Census
Low Street, Schedule 79.
Thomas Byron Head Married 56 Farmer of 15 acres Beckingham
Jane Byron Wife Married 57 Farmer’s wife S. Leverton
John Byron Son Married 23 Farmer’s son Beckingham
Sarah Ann Byron Daughter in Law Married 22 Farmer’s Daughter in Law Gringley

1881 Census
Low Street, Schedule 25. (John had moved to Ivy House).
Thomas Byron Head Married 66 Retired Farmer Beckingham
Jane Byron Wife Married 68 – Leverton

1891 Census, Low Street, Schedule 38.
John Walker Head Married 40 Cottager, Agriculture Beckingham
Harriet Walker Wife Married 38 – E. ? Lincs.
Thomas H. W. Walker Son – 12 Scholar Beckingham
Henry J. Walker Son – 6 Scholar Beckingham
Sarah Walker Daughter – 3 – Beckingham
Wilfred Walker Son – 5months – Beckingham

1901 Census Schedule 45, Low Street.
George Ingall Head Married 35 Agricultural Labourer Potterhansworth
Ellen Ingall Wife Married 32 – Welton
Bryan Ingall Son – 6 – Walkeringham
Henry Ingall Son – 4 – Beckingham.
Edith M Ingall Daughter – 1 – Beckingham
Charlotte Richardson Mother in Law Widow 78 – Scotherne

IMAGE22
Farmhouse For Sale Notice 9.4.92.

IMAGE23
Farmhouse For Sale Notice 23.4.93.

IMAGE24
Planning Decision re Church Street Paddock

UNDATED LETTER TO PETER MASON FROM HARRY PAYNE, THE FARMHOUSE, LOW STREET.

Dear Mr Mason,
Just a short note to thank you for preparing the short history of ‘The Farmhouse’. I believe you are doing this for charity for the church so have included a small donation to one of your choice.
I would love to get copies made of the photographs you used and of any others you may have of ‘The Farmhouse’ down the years. Would it be possible to borrow your photos to do this?
Thanks once again.
Harry.

IMAGE25
Bradwell Cottage in early 1977. Picture taken from South East at time of demolition.

BRADWELL COTTAGE. LOW STREET.

1736 No.48?

1777 No 80. An orchard, 1 rood 34 perches, owner John Smith.
1779 At this date, or sometime later, the owner was John Otter.

1866 Tithe Book – Tenant William Barrett, owner S. Duckle, Esq.

c.1895 George Bee says Mr. Barratt was here.

Percy Proudley says Mr Clarke, father of Mrs Bee lived here followed by Mr Clixby.

Ernest Johnson says that Mr Clixby who lived here was a preacher.

George & Mrs Mitchell were the last to live in the cottage before it was demolished circa 1970. Three bungalows were then built on the site, the southern most one being occupied by the Mitchells. Mrs Mitchell, now a widow sold in 1996, but returned to the village in 1997.

BRADWELL COTTAGE, LOW STREET

Census Returns

1831 Census
?

1841 Census
Joseph Bateman 50 Agricultural Labourer
Hannah Bateman 50

1851 Census
?

1861 Census
Schedule 46
Charles Spittlehouse Head Married 32 Agricultural Labourer Gringley on the Hill, Notts
Jane Spittlehouse Wife Married 22 – Gainsborough, Lincs
George Spittlehouse Son – 1 – Beckingham, Notts

1871 Census
Schedule 84, Low Street
Charles Spittlehouse Head Married 45 Agricultural Labourer Gringley
Jane Spittlehouse Wife Married 34 – Gainsborough
George Spittlehouse Son – 11 Farm work Beckingham
Elizabeth Spittlehouse Daughter – 8 Scholar Beckingham
John Spittlehouse Son – 6 Scholar Beckingham
Mary Spittlehouse Daughter – 3 – Beckingham

1871
William Barratt was probably living in part of the old Cromwell Cottage.
1881 Census
Schedule 29, Low Street
William Barratt Head Unmarried 53 Agricultural Labour Stapleford, Lincs

1891Census
Schedule 42 Low Street
William Barratt Head Widdower 64 Agricultural Labourer Holme, Notts.

William Barratt appears to have been at Hall Cottage in 1861 and 1871. His marital status and place of birth vary from decade to decade.

1901 Schedule 49, Low Street, 3 Rooms
Charles Hall Head Married 78 Gardener Own Account Beckingham
Elizabeth Hall Wife Married 71 – – North Ferriby

IMAGE26
Copied February/March 1994 Negative 5
Aylestone Cottage, Low Street, Beckingham, Circa 1900

IMAGE27
Same Cottage after alterations. Picture in October 1993. Negative 8

AYLESTONE COTTAGE, LOW STREET

1763 Map. This was a homestead, plot No 110, of 1 rood 36 perches.

1777 Map. The homestead is now number 94 and 1 rood 35 perches owned by William Waterhouse. It later belonged to S. Richardson. (Church Records).

1866 Tithe Book – occupier Ann Newbold, owner Mr. Duckle.
This appears to have been a symmetrically built cottage to which an extension was added at the road end at a later date. This extension became a separate dwelling. The back of the house had a catslide roof, but in the 1970s a new roof was installed which spanned the house from front to back and allowed the back part to be two storied. This new roof extends beyond the gables and the chimney stacks have been removed. It is now a single dwelling since Mr & Mrs Burke made these alterations, with further alterations made by Mr & Mrs Shepherd.

George Bee said the cottages were occupied by Mr Bourne and Mr Ball, a railway plate layer circa 1895.

Alwin Ingle says that Mr Bagguley lived here but he drowned himself in a pond on the way to Walkeringham and his widow married Mr. Cooper.

In the 1950s Mr & Mrs Copley (Harry & Effie M.) from Leicestershire lived here in the larger part and gave the cottage its present name.
Mrs Cooper (Annie) and her son lived in the smaller part next to the road.
After the above mentioned Shepherds, came Mr & Mrs Ward. Mr Ward sold it and moved away in 1995.

Percy Proudley mentioned the Bagguilys and Coopers and also that John Hill lived in part of the house.

Mr Scott says he lived in the west end in 1939 whilst waiting for a council house.

AYLESTONE COTTAGE, LOW STREET, LARGER PART.

Census returns

1831
Perhaps
Samuel Robinson, 2 Males 2 Females. (Wheelwright with house and land.)

1841
Perhaps
George Wagstaff 30 Jobber
Mary Wagstaff 30
John Wagstaff 5 months

1851

1861 Schedule 64
Perhaps
Jonas Garner Head 33 Groom Mear, Cheshire
Ann Garner Wife 34 – Washingborough, Lincs
John Garner Son 10? Scholar Lincoln
Mary Ann Garner Daughter 6 Scholar Shoreditch, Middlesex
Samuel Garner Son 4 Scholar Beckingham
Eleanor Garner Daughter 2 – Beckingham
Elizabeth Garner Daughter 10 months – Beckingham

1871 Schedule 80.
Perhaps
Thomas Parkinson Head Married 56 Groom and Gardener Osgodby, Lincs
Hannah Parkinson Wife Married 53 – Marton Lincs
Rebecca Parkinson Daughter Unmarried 22 General Servant & Domestic Kexby, Lincs.
Martha Parkinson Daughter – 9 Scholar Owmby, Lincs.
Charlotte Parkinson Daughter – 7 Scholar Owmby, Lincs.
(see Parkinsons at Willow Tree Cottage, Low Street in 1891. They are not on Beckingham returns for 1881).

1881 Schedule 27
Frederick Bourne Head Married 33 Railway Signal Fitter Lincoln.
Ann Bourne Wife Married 30 – Newborough, Northants.
Frederick W. Bourne Son – 9 Scholar Boston, Lincs.
John G. Bourne Son – 7 Scholar Boston, Lincs.
Harriet A Bourne Daughter – 5 Scholar Boston, Lincs.
Robert O Bourne Son – 2 – Boston, Lincs.
Charles H Bourne Son – 9 months (died young) Beckingham

1891 Schedule 40
Frederick Bourne Head Married 43 Railway Signal Fitter Lincoln.
John G. Bourne Son Single 17 Shipbuilder’s apprentice Boston.
Harriet A. Bourne Daughter – 15 Mothers Help Boston.
Robert O. Bourne Son – 12 Scholar Boston.
Florence E. Bourne Daughter – 9 Scholar Beckingham
Charles H. Bourne Son – 5 – Beckingham
(The ages for Florence & Charles may have been transposed, see Charles on 1881 census).

1901 Schedule 46, Low Street.
Frederick Bourne Head Married 52 Railway Signal Fitter Worker Lincoln.
Ann Bourne Wife Married 50 – – Newton.
George Bourne Son Single 27 Shipwright Worker Boston
Harriet A. Bourne Daughter Single 25 – – Boston
Robert O. Bourne Son Single 23 Joiner Worker Beckingham.
Lizzie M. Bourne Daughter – 13 – – Beckingham.

AYLESTON COTTAGE, LOW STREET, SMALLER PART NEAR ROAD.

Census Returns

1831
Perhaps
Mrs Martin, 4 Females

1841
Perhaps
Elizabeth Martin 75 Ind.
Mary Kitchen 20 F.S.
Elizabeth Jolland 45 Washer Woman.

1851

1861
Schedule 45. (Ann Newbold seems to have been the widow of Thomas Newbold of Hall Farm.)
Perhaps
Ann Newbold Head Widow 57 Farmer’s Widow Walkeringham

1871
Schedule 81
Perhaps
Ann Newbold Head Widow 65 Farmer’s Widow Walkeringham

1881
Schedule 28
Thomas Cooper Head Married 36 Railway Platelayer Saundby
Elizabeth Cooper Wife Married 38 – Skirpinbeck, Yorks.
Edith Cooper Daughter – 10 Scholar Saundby
George Cooper Son – 8 Scholar Saundby
Emily Cooper Daughter – 5 Scholar Beckingham
Herbert Cooper Son – 3 – Beckingham
Bertha Cooper Daughter – 8months – Beckingham

1891
Schedule 41, Low Street. 4 Rooms.
Charles Himsworth Head Married 26 Boiler Maker Gainsborough
Fanny Himsworth Wife Married 26 – Boston
Jenny Himsworth Daughter – 2 – Doncaster
Herbert Himsworth Son – 1 – Gainsborough

1901 Schedule 47, Low Street
Thomas Ball Head Married 48 Railway Platelayer Worker West Ashby
Charlotte Ball Wife Married 45 – – Kirkstead
Walter Ball Son – 14 – – West Stockwith

IMAGE28
Beckingham School, circa 1898-1899
Harry Bourne, second right, back row
Lizzie Bourne, second right, middle row

IMAGE29
Family Group, Florence and Lizzie Bourne at back, Annie in front with her daughters and Louie, circa 1910.

IMAGE30
Frederick and Ann Bourne and son Robert. Bottom Row – son William and Family home on Low Street, now since occupied by the Copleys, it has been known as Aylestone Cottage.

IMAGE31
From Maurice Briggs, Stokeham, 31.1.02
Indenture John George Bourne

IMAGE32
From Maurice Briggs, Stokeham. 31.1.02
Indenture John George Bourne

IMAGE33
From Maurice Briggs, Stokeham, 31.1.02
Indenture John George Bourne
To J.S.C. Watson, 13 July 1894

IMAGE34
From Maurice Briggs, Stokeham, 31.1.02
Certificate of completion of apprenticeship.

IMAGE35
Developed June 1993. negative 6.
Low Street, Beckingham, looking north, 1993.
Aylestone Cottage, Mr. Ward.
Cromwell Villa, Mr. and Mrs Mark Steed.
Minstrel Cottage, Mr. M. D. Toms

IMAGE36
Copied from Mr and Mrs Steed’s photograph.
Developed August 1994, negative 17 or 18. Cromwell Villa, Low Street when occupied by Mrs Elms and before alterations.

IMAGE37
Copied August 1994. Negative 15.
Cromwell Villa, Low street, Beckingham after first lot of alterations.

CROMWELL VILLA, LOW STREET.

In 1736 this was one of several homesteads owned by Roger Burton. No. 111 on the map, 1 rood 6 perches in extent.

1777 it was owned by Robert Duckle, No 93 on the Enclosure Map and now estimated at 38 perches; about ¼ acre.

It was later sold to George Quibell.

The cottage was rebuilt in 1881, see census return. It was then a typical Victorian cottage of red brick with slate roof, welsh, and large paned sash windows. In the 1950s and 1960s it was occupied by Mrs Elms. circa 1970 the appearance of the house was completely altered with the insertion of new windows, concrete tiles on the roof and the walls white washed. It was probably furnished with bathroom and w.c. at the same time. In 1998 Mrs Elms is still alive aged over 100, living on Hawthorne Close or there abouts. She died in December 2000 aged 105.

The building was then bought by Mr and Mrs Mark Steed who circa 1985 have built and extension onto the west end, and later a porch at the east end circa 1991. The Victorian ‘Villa’ stood end on to the road facing south as it does today and no doubt as the original cottage stood.

Mark Steed restored antique furniture until recently when he changed to tuition in computers.

1885 Ordinance Survey Map show a pump in front of the house.

George Bee said Mr E Payne, draughtsman here in 1895.
Percy Proudley says Lambs, then Yates.

CROMWELL VILLA, LOW STREET.

Census Returns

1831
Perhaps
Thomas Turner, junior, 2 males, 1 female.
(see him at Willow Tree Cottage in 1841).

1841
Perhaps
Elizabeth Belton, School Mistress.

1851 Beckingham
?

1861 Low Street
?

1871
Low Street, schedule 82 or perhaps schedule 83.
Perhaps schedule 82
Mary Lambert Head Married 38 Dressmaker Beckingham
Hannah Lambert Daughter – 9 Scholar Beckingham
Elizabeth Lambert Daughter – 7 Scholar Beckingham
Perhaps schedule 83.
William Barratt Head Married 43 Agricultural Labourer Sutterton Fen.

1881
Low Street 1B between schedules 28 and 29
Being built.

1891
Low Street, schedule 43. 4 Rooms.
Edward Payne Head Married 33 Ship Draughtsman Greenwich
Mary L Payne Wife Married 29 – Lewisham
Edward S. Payne Son – 8 Scholar Greenwich
Gilbert S. Payne Son – 5 – Greenwich
Aubrey G. Payne Son – 4 – Greenwich

1901 schedule 48, Low Street.
Thomas Betts Head Married 33 Labourer Shipyard Wolverhampton
Harriet J Betts Wife Married 27 – St. Agnes, Cornwall
Frances R. Betts Daughter – 3 – Marton

MARY JANE ELMES 1895 – 2000
Mrs Mary Jane Elmes of Hawthorne Close died on the 7th September at the age of 105 years. She was the oldest resident of Beckingham (and most likely a much wider area), still lived alone in her own home (with the help of a dedicated son and home carers), and had lived in three centuries. She shunned publicity about her age, not wishing it to be generally known that she lived on her own.

Apart from her family, Mrs Elmes’ main interest was the career of Steve Davis, the snooker player. She was happy to talk to whoever would listen, having followed his career closely from his early days. When over 100 years of age she visited him at the Crucible and appeared on television with him as probably his oldest fan. They exchanged birthday and Christmas cards.

Those who knew Mary Jane Elmes well admired her great determination and willpower, and never ceased to be amazed at her ability to surmount the problems in latter years of broken bones, hospitalisation, having intruders in her home, and maintaining her independent living. To the end she retained an excellent memory for both the past and the present. Just take time to reflect on the changes that have occurred in the 105 years of her life.
Joan Clifton.
Beckingham and Walkeringham News Letter. February 2001 – page 8.

IMAGE38
Gainsborough Standard Friday April 10th 1998
Mrs Elmes at 102 with Paddy Ashdown.

IMAGE39
Cromwell Villa, Low Street, Beckingham, Showing extension built by the Steeds in the 1980s

IMAGE40
The Cottage, Low Street, Beckingham – When owned by Sandersons. September 1984.

IMAGE41
Negative 36a. The Cottage, Low Street, Now named Minstrel Cottage. The rendering has now been removed and many alterations made. August 1993

NOW ‘ MINSTREL COTTAGE’.
Sanderson’s Smallholding. The Cottage, Low Street.
In 1736 Homestead No.112, 1 rood 28 perches. Owner denoted by letter i.
In 1777 it appears to have been plot 92 owned by John Smith and in 1779 by John Otter. 1 rood 38 perches.

In circa 1893 Mr G. Bee gives Charles Hill, cow keeper as occupier. Mrs W. Smithson’s father was a Hill and lived here, he was Dick Hill.

Until circa 1980 it was owned and occupied by Mr Sanderson from circa 19. His son Paul became a cattle dealer which caused trouble with neighbours because of the noise. The Sandersons eventually moved out, since when a new house has been built on the south side of the site and the old cottage and buildings extensively altered. Sandersons made some alterations.

When the Sandersons lived there the gardens was ornamented by several steddle stones and caps, but these may have been removed.

Minstrel Cottage ceased to be an agricultural smallholding when Sandersons left.

Percy Proudley – Butcher Hill and later Fred Payne.

In 1993 it belongs to a Mr M. D. Toms who teaches at Epworth. He says a well was discovered under the extension to the west of the main cottage.
1866 Tithe Book. Occupier Thomas Lane, owner Mr Cross and self.

Oliver Bosley – Fred Payne, a cowkeeper, lived here.

Mrs. Smithson said her family, the Hills, lived there, probably before moving to Walkeringham Butcher’s Shop.

In the Enclosure Award John Smith was allotted 2acres 2roods 35perches in the South Holmes adjoining Trent Road in lieu of any rights he had in the open fields, commons etc..

1885 Map shows a pump in the yard.

Butcher Hill was Dick Hill, farther of Mrs W. Smithson, Mrs N Forington and Esme Hill. The son, Richard, was probably son of the Charles Hill who lived here in 1891, see census.

In the 1980s – 1990s a house was built in what had been the garden of this property at the back of Cromwell Villa. Minstrel Cottage is built in English Garden bond brick work with tumbled work on gable ends and with parapet at end next to the road.

MINSTREL COTTAGE.
(This is an old cottage and it is surprising the census records do not show the occupants in 1831, 41 and 51).

Census Returns
1831 ?
1841 ?
1851 ?

1861
Low Street, Schedule 47
Perhaps
Thomas Lane Head Married 54 Agricultural Labourer and Farmer of 19 acres Beckingham
Jane Lane Wife Married 55 – Beckingham
Henry Todd Son in Law – 13 Scholar Beckingham
Elizabeth Nettleship Mother in Law Widow 81 Annuitant Beckingham

1871
Low Street, Schedule 85
Perhaps
Thomas Lane Head Married 63 Farmer Occupying 20 acres Beckingham
Jane Lane Wife Married 63 – Beckingham
Sarah Todd – Unmarried 34 Farmer’s daughter Beckingham

1881
Low Street, Schedule 30.
Perhaps
Jane Lane Head Widow 73 – Beckingham

1891
Low Street, Schedule 44.
Charles Hill Head Married 62 Farmer and Cowkeeper Misterton
Elizabeth Hill Wife Married 63 – Misterton
Eliza J Schofield Daughter Married 32 Farmer’s Daughter Misterton
George H Schofield Grandson – 4 Scholar Birkenshaw, Yorks.

1901 Schedule 50, Low Street.
Charles Hill Head Married 72 Retired Cowkeeper Misterton
Elizabeth Hill Wife Married 73 – Misterton

IMAGE42
Map of Beckingham (part) 1885, enlarged. Small Holding on Low Street.

IMAGE43
Sandersons ‘The Cottage’, Low Street, showing farm buildings in September 1984

IMAGE44
‘The Cottage’ – The Staddle Stones at the same date.

THE VICTORIAN VICARAGE, LOW STREET

Census Returns

1881 Schedule No. 31 Born at
David Hooke Head Mar.55 Vicar of Beckingham Little Chelsea, Middlesex
Henrietta Hooke Wife Mar.57 Hull
Marian Darkin Servant Um.33 General Servant Domestic Gosport

1891 Schedule 45, The Vicarage
David Hooke Head Mar.65 Vicar of Beckingham Little Chelsea, Middlesex
Henrietta Hooke Wife Mar.67 Hull
Mary J. Barker Visitor S 48 Living on her own means Leeds
Mary Spencer Servant S 20 Walkeringham

1901 Schedule 54, The Vicarage
Charles R. Round Head M. 45 Clergyman C of E Wolverhampton
Mary A. Round Wife M. 46 Holkington, Staffs.
Margaret E. Round Dau. S. 17 Ripley, Derby
Mildred H. Round Dau. S. 15 Ripley, Derby
Cyril G. Round Son 11 Ripley, Derby
Mary E. Bayes Servt. S. 23 General Domestic Servant Worker Temple Bruer

David Hooke buried at Beckingham 2 July 1898 aged 72
Frederick Smith buried at Beckingham 5 May 1977

IMAGE 45
Copied 1993, negative 11a Miss Tong appearing on her photograph of Beckingham Vicarage circa 1900.

IMAGE46
Copied October 1984 Rev Hooke, circa 1900 Vicar of Beckingham.

IMAGE 47
Retford Times 2 February 1989. Sale Notice for The Old Vicarage, Beckingham and The Chestnuts, Low Street, Beckingham.

IMAGE 48
Developed November 1993. Neg.00
Victorian Vicarage, Low Street.

IMAGE 49
Rev. Frederick Smith.
Copied and developed January 1994. Neg.5

LISTING DESCRIPTION.
The Vicarage, (East Side)
The Vicarage, 1873, by T. C. Hine. Gothic Revival Style. Brick with steep pitched slate roofs, stone dressings, chamfered plinth, cogged first floor band, moulded brick eaves and gables, single ridge stack, polygonal external front and rear wall stacks. Irregular facade, 2 storeys, 3 bays, double range plan. Chamfered ashlar doorcase, pierced spandrels, mullioned quatrefoil overlight, close-bordered door with decorative hinges, flanked to left by 2 plain sashes with chamfered transoms and quatrefoil heads. Beyond, 4 light C20 mullioned and transomed window in chamfered reveal. To right, single transomed plain sash. Above, to left, 2 light mullioned casement; to right, similar casement in cross eaves hipped dormer. Right gable has, to right, 2 ½ storey canted bay window with mullioned and transomed casements.

LISTING DESCRIPTION BECKINGHAM LOW STREET (east side)
Gazebo at the Hall

Gazebo, 1803, brick with pyramidal pantile roof with timber finial. First floor band, stone dressings, cogged eaves, square block, 2 stages. Stone steps to single panelled door; single glazing bar sash on the other three sides, all openings with segmental heads.

IMAGE 50
Willow Tree Cottage, Low Street, June 1993. Neg. 7.

IMAGE 51
Willow Tree Cottage, Low Street, October 1993. Neg.15.

WILLOW TREE COTTAGE, LOW STREET

This cottage is not shown on the 1736 or 1777 map and seems to have been built after the 1779 Enclosure Award, on a small plot of land carved out of close numbered 91 on the 1777 map, but not on the site of the Hoggard Homestead in that close. The close was numbered 113 on the 1736 map. If the detail is correct on the 1777 map the Hoggard cottage was in the N.E. part of the close, but south of the line of polled willow trees. The Hoggard cottage has long since disappeared.

Was Sarah Marsh who married Thos. Turner senior, perhaps the daughter of the farmer called Marsh who was robbed by his servant James Frith in 1772. See “Unusual Events” ring binder.

Thomas Parkinson the occupier in 1891 was probably the father of George who lived at Meadow Croft and married secondly Marion Darkin who survivied the troopship Birkinhead disaster of 1852. See the Memorial brass plate in the church.

Brick work of the cottage is plain and the bricks approximately 3” thick. There is no tumbling at the gable ends. The roof is of red pantiles extending to the outer edge of the brickwork.

Some alterations where made in 1980s by Mr. & Mrs. Ewin Stevens who lived there at that time. Mr. Stevens died in 1993.

George Bee said it was occupied by T. Parkinson, labourer circa 1895.

There is a legend that the narrow strip of land on the south side of the cottage, which strip is bordered on the south by a row of polled willows and on the north by (besides Willow Tree Cottage) the garden and croft of Lyndale, belongs to this cottage but is let on a 1,000 year lease to the owners of the adjoining field. There was no mention of any lease affecting O.S. 138 when it was sold in 1962 along with 2 farms by C.R.A.Tong. O.S.138 incorporates the strip of land which is the subject of this legend. The owners of the cottage do not seem to have any documentary evidence to support the legend.

Gainsborough News 12 and 19th August 1949
Stennett and Stevenson advertise for sale at the Sun Inn 23rd August 1949 for Mrs. L. Stevens who is going abroard
Lot 1 The Spinney, Low Street
Lot 2 Willow Tree Cottage, in occupation of Mr Edwin Stevens.

It would appear that Eddie Stevens bought as a sitting tenant as he continued to live there.

WILLOW TREE COTTAGE, LOW STREET.

1831 Census
Thomas Turner, senior- (Thomas Turner junior was at Cromwell Cottage in 1831.) (Thomas Turner and Sarah Marsh married by licience at Beckingham 14 September 1779.)

1841 Census
Thomas Turner 35 Agricultural Labourer (Thomas Turner junior and Elizabeth Pygott married at Beckingham 23 May 1825.)
Elizabeth Turner 35
John Turner 14
Mary Turner 9

1851 Census Schedule 73. Born at
Thomas Turner Head Married 48 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Elizabeth Turner Wife Married 46 Beckingham
Mary Turner Daughter Single 18 Dress Maker Beckingham

1861 Census Schedule 48, Low Street.
Thomas Turner Head Married 58 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Elizabeth Turner Wife Married 56 Beckingham
Mary Turner Daughter Unmarried 28 Dress Maker Beckingham
Ellen W Turner Grand Daughter 6 Scholar Beckingham

1871 Census, Schedule 86, Low Street
Thomas Turner Head Married 68 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Elizabeth Turner Wife Married 66 Beckingham

1881 Census, Schedule 32, Low Street
Elizabeth Turner Head Widow 76 Beckingham

1891 Census Schedule 46, Low Street, 4 Rooms.
Thomas Parkinson Head Married 76 Agricultural Labourer Marton
Hannah Parkinson Wife Married 72 Marton

(See them at Aylestone Cottage in 1871, not on 1881 census.)

1901 Schedule 51, Low Street, 4 Rooms.
Thomas Parkinson Head Married 86 Retired Agricultural Labourer Osgodby
Hannah Parkinson Wife Married 82 Marton

Record of Commemoration
In Memory of Percy Balance Serjeant 9910 6th Battalion, Licolnshire Regiment who died on Monday 9th August 1915. Age 27.
Citation: Additional Information: The Husband of Edith Annie Parkinson (Formerly Ballance), of Beckingham, Doncaster.

Commemorative Information
Cemetery: Helles Memorial, Turkey
Grave Reference/Panel Number. Panel 44 to 46 or 331
Location: The Helles Memorial stands on the tip of the Galllipoli Peninsular. It take the form of an obelisk over 30 meters high that can be seen by ships passing through the Dardanelles.
Historical Information: The eight month campaign in Gallipoli was fought by Commonwealth and French forces in an attempt to force Turkey out of the was, to relieve the deadlock of the Western Front in France and Belgium and to open a supply route to Russia through the Dardanelles and the Black Sea.
The Allies landed on the peninsular on the 25/26 April 1915; the 29th Division at Cape Helles in the South and the Australian and New Zealand Corps north of Gaba Tepe on the west coast, an area soon known as Anzac. On 6th August, further landings were made at Suvla, just north of Anzac, and the climax of the campaign came in early August when simultaneous assaults were launched on all three fronts. However, the difficult terrain and stiff Turkish resistance soon led to the stalemate of trench warfare. From the end of August, no further serious action was fought and the lines remained unchanged. The peninsular was successfully evacuated in December and early January 1916. The Helles Memorial serves the dual function of Commonwealth battle memorial for the whole Gallipoli campaign and place of commemoration for many of those Commonwealth service men who died there and have no known grave. The United Kingdom and Indian forces named on the memorial died in operations throughout the peninsular, the Australians at Helles. There are also panels for those who died or who were buried at sea in Gallipoli waters. The memorial bears more than 21,000 names. There are four other Memorials to the Missing at Gallipoli. The Lone Pine, Hill 60, and Chunuk Bair Memorials commemorate Australian and New Zealanders at Anzac. The Twelve Tree Corpse Memorial commemorates the New Zealanders at Helles. Navel casualties of the United Kingdom lost or buried at sea are recorded on their respective Memorials at Portsmouth, Plymouth and Chatham, in the United Kingdom.

IMAGE 52
Lyndale, Beckingham

IMAGE 53
Lyndale, Beckingham 1999

IMAGE 54
1940 25” O.S. Map
Showing the extent of Sally Milner’s tenanted holding in the village. she also had 2 acres of Great Woodhouse Close down Wood Lane.

IMAGE 55
Lyndale, Low Street, Beckingham June 1993. Neg 10

IMAGE 56
Lyndale, Low Street, Beckingham October 1993 Neg 17

LYNDALE, LOW STREET

In 1736 this homestead was No.114 on the map, 2 roods 35 perches in extent and it belonged to Thomas Hall. His estate was inherited by his brother in law, Thomas Waterhouse in 1774.

In 1777 the Enclosure Map shows the homestead as No 90 with the acreage given as 3 roods, 14 perches. Town End Close, No 89, of 5a 2r 7p was also at one time part of this holding.

In 1840 the Waterhouse Estate was divided into four roughly equal parts and
Thos. Waterhouse’s grandchildren drew lots to decide who had each share.
Mary Jane Teale drew the lot that included this homestead. See Mrs Pearson’s Teale Cottage deeds.

In 1871 George Spencer was the occupier. The Spencers were small farmers and cattle dealers of Misterton and Walkeringham. Charles Spencer of Walkeringham was murdered by the blacksmith who was also landlord of the adjacent Three Horseshoes Public House. Charles was grandson of Samuel Spencer of Walkeringham as was the a/m George.George seems to have married late in life to Harriet? and had a daughter Dinah born 1857. He is a widower in 1861 and his daughter is living with relations, in 1871 his second wife is Sarah. She was a widow when she married George. Her first husband was John Milner the previous occupier. See census returns.

In 1866 George is given as tenant of Mr. Rogers of Doncaster is the Tithe Book. Was Mr Rogers agent for Mary Jane Teale?

In 1881 the Rousell family were living on High Street near Watsons Corner. Lyndale was only four rooms in 1891 but Enos extended the cottage with a new part at the southern end and possibly also the extension on the west side of the north end.

In 1866 Beckingham School Log – “August 13th Jesse Rousell and Bertha Cooper make no progress in reading. Both very dull children.”
1890 School Log – Rev. D. Hooke distributed prizes given by Mrs. Watson.
Mabel Rousell for attendance – story of a Tramp.
Arthur Rousell for writing and drawing – Russia leather writing case.

1912 Kelly’s Notts. – Enos Rousell, bricklayer.
Percy Proudly remembers Enos and says he wrote poetry.

Rogers may have had the tenancy of enclosures nos. 85 and 89, and homesteads 90 (Lyndale) and 99 Teale Cottage, at sometime, along with enclosures 191, 195 and 205. See Valuation of Beckingham.

LYNDALE, LOW STREET

Teale Cottage deeds (Mrs Pearson’s) sho Enos Rousell as tenant of Homestead and Home Close, No 90 and Townend Close No 89 totaling 6 acres 3 roods. Part of Mary Jane Teale’s estate was sold by her son James to Mary Rudsdell and was possibly inherited by John Byron of Ivy House.

1941. On the night of 5th April several German land-mines were dropped in the parish. One on the railway near the Tetheringrass Crossing, a second at far end of Lyndale garden and a third near the site of South Sandy Furze bungalow. Gringley was bombed on the night of 7th and 8th May, 1941.

In 1993 and for about thirty years previously the house has been occupied by Mr Alan C. and Mrs Brenda P. Robinson who bought it from Mr and Mrs Gravill.

Mr Robinson turned the cattle shed into an artists studio where he paints and also restores paintings. See newspaper article.

Sarah Milner later Spencer, was living in this cottage for many years anad is shown on census returns for 1831, 41,51,61,71 and 81. she appears to have been an energetic women. She reared a large family; had two husbands, out living both and was farming 8 acres in 1861, before she married her second husband. Oswald Harrison says that part of a field at Beckingham Wood Farm was know as the Sally Milner land, on a twelve acre field that belonged once to Mrs Massingberd, who also owned the above mentioned cottage (Great Woodhouse Close, No 228). Both field and cottage would be inherited from Thos. Waterhouse. Two acres only was called the Sally Milner Field. see Mr Harrison’s letter of 26th August 1994. This two acres along with the Holme Close of 3 roods and 14 perches and the adjoining Town End Close of 5 acres 2 rods and 7 perches was probably the 8 acres farmed by Sarah Milner in 1861.

The older part of the house is built of hand made bricks in a rather random bond, with pantile roof.

The Victorian section added at the southern end as 3” bricks in English Garden bond with a pantile roof. The windows have been changed but where probably originally Victorian sash. This part was no doubt built by Enos Rousell. It was only a four roomed cottage in 1891. Note diaper ornamentation.

LYNDALE, LOW STREET

Census Returns
1831
John Milner, 45, Agricultural Labourer.

1841
John Milner 45 Agricultural Labourer
Sarah Milner 35
Elizabeth Milner 11
Ellin Milner 9
John Milner 7
Joseph Milner 6
Theophilis Milner 2
Thomas Milner 6 months
Ann Webster 4

1851 Schedule 74 Beckingham Born at
John Milner Head Married 55 Agricultural Labourer Willoughton
Sarah Milner Wife Married 48 South Leverton
Theophilis Milner Son 12 Beckingham
Thomas Milner Son 10 Scholar Beckingham
Sarah Milner Daughter 8 Beckingham
Jane Milner Daughter 6 Scholar Beckingham
Mary Fillingham Daughter Married 26 Agricultural Labourer’s Wife Beckingham
Ann Fillingham Grand Daughter 4 Scholar Beckingham

1861 Schedule 49, Low Street
Sarah Milner Head Widow 56 Farmer of 8 acres South Leverton
William Newbold Visitor unmarried 19 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
1871 Schedule 87, Low Street
George Spencer Head Married 65 Cattle Dealer Misterton
Sarah Spencer Wife Married 66 South Leverton

1881 Schedule 33, low Street
Sarah Spencer Head Widow 77 (As written on return) South Leverton
Sarah Bennett Daughter Married 38 Beckingham
Harry Bennett Grandson 3 Tickhill

LOW STREET, 4 ROOM COTTAGE
Census Returns
1891 Schedule 48. Born at
Enos Rousell Head Married 45 Builder Winsham, Dorset
Hannah Rousell Wife Married 45 Misterton
Ada Rousell Daughter Single 18 General Domestic Servant Beckingham
Frederick Rousell Son Single 16 Bricklayers Apprentice Beckingham
Arthur Rousell Son Single 14 Farm Day Lad Beckingham
Nellie Rousell Daughter 12 Beckingham
Jessie Rousell Daughter 11 Scholar Beckingham
Mabel Rousell Daughter 9 Scholar Beckingham
Ernest Rousell Son 8 Scholar Beckingham
Charles Rousell Son 6 Scholar Beckingham
1901 Schedule 53, Low Street
Enos Rousell Head Married 55 Bricklayer Employer Winshawe, Somerset
Hannah Rousell Wife Married 55 Stockwith
Frederick J. Rousell Son Single 26 Bricklayers Foreman Worker Beckingham
Arthur J. Rousell Son Single 24 Bricklayer Worker Beckingham
Ada Rousell Daughter Single 28 Beckingham
Mabel Rousell Daughter Single 19 Beckingham
Ernest Rousell Son Single 18 P.O.Clerk Beckingham
C.Fitzroy Rousell Son Single 16 Beckingham
MILLER/MILNER/MILLNER FAMILY (also Millliner?)
Miller/ Milner family, from Beckingham, North Nottinghamshire in c 1700 to Ollerton, Notts. c 1811; Tealby, Lincs., c 1875 and Sheffield, S. Yorks, 1891.
According to the old Parish Register at Beckingham (now only in microfiche form at Nottingham Library), there were one or two Millners or Milliners
(miss-spelling maybe) in this area between Bawtry and Gainsborough from 1640 to 1700 but I am unable to link them to our line. The early entry for instance: “Henry Millner, Yeoman, married Elizabeth Moses, 13/9/1640: at Beckingham, appears to be unconnected, as yet. The tattered state of the Register shows how fragile the link has become for tracing back 300 years: it is quite possible that another source of information may turn up to give us more names. I have only traced the male line in the time available, as this is the simplest was, details of the females being scarce. I have, in addition to the Parish Register entries, used the IGI (International Genealogical Index) and Census returns ( available to 1891).
The story so far, starts with John Millner (1) married to Elizabeth, whose family name is not given, and baptising their (presumed) first child, John Millner (11) at Beckingham Church an 1st November, 1730. We know about the Beckingham line since Gervase Miller (my uncle) went over to Beckingham from Sheffield in 1923, and obtained a copy of all the entries in the Register for our family. Spellings of the surname varied, as did the spelling of Gervase, down the years, since very little was written down, word of mouth being the usual form. At present nothing else is known about John(1) and Elizabeth, except that they took four children for baptism: John, Ann, Mary and Sarah between 1731 and 1738. John went on to marry, as did his sister Mary to one John Dodgson in1766. Gerve must have known of the North Notts. connection by word from his father, or perhaps there was a family bible, now lost. Certainly no records have been passed down in the family, relating to the 18th. century. Our only extant bible pages (“Family Register”) start at the birth of Jarvis Miller, June 171853 at Ollerton.
Beckingham was, and is, flat farming country by the River Trent, not far from the Lincolnshire border across the river, where little seems to change or happen for decades give or take a by-pass. A few gentry or ‘well-known families’ appear in the records, as electors and the like, with a large submerged mass of farm-labouring people going largely unnoticed. Many old cottages are now pulled down for modern houses, or gentrified beyond recall. However, at the north end of Low Street the long main street running past the end of Church Street, there is an old cottage called Lyndale which local research show was the home of the Milners from the 1830s to 1860s. There is just one, indistinct gravestone in the churchyard: “John Milner 1853” either recording the death of John 111 at age 87 or John 1V at 64. A local couple, Peter and Margaret Mason, have researched the houses and their occupants in Low Street with great personal interest.
John Millner(11) married Jane Riley at Beckingham in 1767 and is entered as “of Gringley” which is Gringley on the Hill a few miles back along the road to Sheffield. There marriage was “delayed as the banns were read a second time” and this may be partly due to their first child John (111) having been already baptised 9 months earlier.
Again virtually nothing is recorded about John and Jane except that they baptised no fewer than seven children, all at Beckingham Church and were the mainstay of the family line in the 18th century. Their fifth child, Gervase went on to found the Ollerton Line in the 19th century after marrying Hannah. He is baptised as “the son of John and Jane Miller”, note the spelling, but he continues to be known as “Milner” throughout his life. Thus the name is being changed by accident, or word of mouth, as several of the offspring were entered as “Miller”. Is it perhaps academic, as to which version is written by the Curate?
The fourth child, presumed Jane, goes on to marry a Wm. Keetley; the first child John 111, marries Phebe Newton to produce two recorded children. Sadly of the other four children of John and Jane nothing is so far known but their dates of baptism.
The name John continues to be, it would seem, the name of choice of each male child and so quite a strong identity comes through with this family in the 18th century. John (111) and Phebe have two offspring, the first John (1V), going on to raise nine offspring with his wife Sarah Burton. Again, nothing is known to date of these nine children, except that the first, Mary, had a child called Anne Fellingham (spelling uncertain on the 1851 census). More may come to light through death certificates and more extensive census searching. However, the mother of nine children, Sarah Burton from Leverton, Notts, was decidedly an indomitable and hard working woman. On the death of John 1V she continued to live on their small holding probably, at “Lyndale” in Low Street, Beckingham and to farm the eight acres with only the help of a nineteen year old labourer, according to the 1861 census. What has happened to her large family is only conjecture, but she is listed as a widow, so John 1V had given up the struggle at some point between 1851 and 61. She went on to marry a George Spencer, a cattle dealer from Misterton, and to farm there until his death when we find her on the 1881 census, again a widow, age 77, with just a married daughter (Sarah) and a grandson (Harry).
Sadly, she is not in the 1891 census nor are any others of the Milner/Miller family, as far as I can tell. (As a foot note some of the nine children of John 1V and Sarah migrated to Sheffield, including Theophilus, as a Theophilus Miller crops up in Sheffield at Joshua Road in an 1898 directory! It is frustrating to have such a large family in limbo.
The story now moves south about 20 miles or so to the Dukeries area of Nottinghamshire where Gervas Milner (1) “of Warsop” enters the Marriage Register at Worksop Priory with Hanna Oats “of Worksop” on 29th February 1808. It seems he travelled from his birth place at Beckingham in 1778, by way of Warsop (and Worksop) to Ollerton where his third, fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh children are baptised and presumably his first and second children though this is not certain. He was an agricultural labourer all his life and is noted at his son Charles’s marriage and at the 1841 census at Ollerton. According to the family gravestone in Ollerton churchyard, three of his seven children died relatively young and without marrying: William at 28, Elizabeth at 23, Ann at 29. His wife Hanna died aged 52, it would seem 2 days before daughter Elizabeth. John (V) married Ann Meggitt a widow with three children then raised two more. There is no record of Mary’s life or death.
The one remaining “Miller” stone to be seen in the churchyard is placed at the side and rear, to the right after entering by the steps, by a tree. It is weather worn but legible; –
“Gervise Miller Died 11.10.1848 aged 71”
“Hannah wife of Gervis Miller died 7.2.1837 aged 52
“Also, Elizabeth Miller daughter of the above died 9.2.1837 aged 23”
“Wm. Miller son of the above died 4.11.1840 aged 28”
“Ann Miller. Daughter of the above died 25.12.1848 aged 29”
Horace cycled over in 1923 from Sheffield and noted the above, which he passed to Gervase (111) by letter, knowing Gerves interest in the “family pedigree”. Horace mentioned a second stone, along side, which has disappeared. A sixth child, Martha born 1821, may be the domestic servant entered on the 1851 Census at a house in Market Place Ollerton. Charles, the seventh child, carried on the male line in Ollerton.
MILLER/MILNER/MILLNER family (also Milliner?)
Family tree (incomplete) in Parish of Beckingham, North Notts obtained from the parish register by Gervase Miller in 1923 and latterly from the Nottingham Local Studies Library by John Miller in 1999 using the IGI (International Genealogical index) and parish registers, also Philimore’s Index of Marriages and census returns up to 1991. See page three for the Ollerton tree and page 5 for the Tealby/Sheffield tree. Horace Miller read the gravestone in Ollerton churchyard in 1923 and passed the information to Gervase at Woodbank Crescent by letter. I have read this stone, which is now weather worn, but cannot find the other Miller stone which Horace said was next to it.
John Millner (1) Married Elizabeth (no date) at Beckingham.
Offspring
John Millner (11) Baptised 1/11/1730 Married Jane Riley (see below)
Ann Millner Baptised 18/3/1732
Mary Millner Baptised 8/8/1736 Married John Dodgson jnr 4/5/1766 at Beckingham
Sarah MillnerBaptised 7/3/1738
Josiah Riley Married Frances at Beckingham?
Offspring
Mary Riley Baptised 30/6/1737
Josiah Riley Baptised 14/12/1738
Jane Riley* Baptised 18/6/1741 Buried 2/4/1781
*The wife of John Miller below
John Millner(11) of Gringley Married Jane Riley 2/2/1767 of Beckingham
Marriage delayed “as banns read a second time) at Beckingham (Philimore vol XV111)
John Millner* (111) Baptised 15/5/1766 (illegitimate) Beckingham
*Married Phebe Newton (below)
William Millner Baptised 17/4/1772 Beckingham
Frances Baptised 12/1/1775 Beckingham “son of John and Jane Miller
Jane Milner Baptised 3/1/1777 Beckingham Married William Keetley 18/11/1799
Gervase Milner(1) Baptised 9/5/1778*
*Copy of Baptismal Register “Son of John and Jane Miller” Married Hannah (see page three)
William Milner Baptised 30/10/1779
George Milner Baptised 2/4/1781 Son of John Miller
John Millner (111) Married Phebe Newton 24/12/1788 Beckingham
Offspring
John Milner (1V) Baptised 19/10/1789 Beckingham Married Sarah Burton (see below)
Thomas Millner Baptised 1/9/1772 Beckingham
John Millner (1V) Married Sarah Burton* 16/5/1822 South Leverton?
*Sarah born 1805 at South Leverton. On the death of John Sarah married George Spencer (born 1806 at Misterton) Cattle Dealer, circa 1861-1871
Offspring
Mary Milner* Baptised 1/4/1825
*Married Fellingham? Her daughter Anne born 10/1/1847 at Beckingham
Elizabeth Milner Born 1830 Beckingham
John Milner (V1) Born 1834 Beckingham
Joseph Milner Born 1835 Beckingham
Ellen Milner Born 1838 Beckingham
Thoephilis Milner Born 1839 Beckingham
Thomas Milner Born 1840/1 Beckingham
Sarah Milner Born 1843 Beckingham
Jane Milner Born 1845 Beckingham
Beckingham continued: The Background. Unconnected (as yet!) entries in Beckingham Parish Register, at Nottingham Local Studied Library (to add to the confusion); Henry Millner, Yeoman, married Elizabeth Moses 13/9/1640 at Beckingham.
John Milliner married Mary Lacy 2/4/1782 at Beckingham
Burial of Frances, daughter of John Miller (11?) 20/12/1782
Eleanor Milliner married John Johnson of Everton, near Bawtry, 3/6/1805
Marriage of George Hempsell and Mary Milner 11/6/1810
Marriage of John Ibert of Bole, near Beckingham, and Mary Milner 11/7/1825
Records from other parishes and census returns:
Marriage of John Milner at West Reford 12/2/1742/3-various possibles
Marriage of Gervase Milner and Goodwin at Harworth 13/12/1774
Marriage of Gervase/Jarvis Milner and Corringham at Misterton 29/11/1770
Unconnected census returns (to add confusion)
1851 Census: John Milner (1V) husband of Sarah (above) gives age as 55 and born at Willoughton, Lincs; the IGI says his christening was 19/10/1789 at Beckingham! his parents were married on 24/12/1788 at Beckingham
1861 census: Gervase Milner born 1810 at Misterton, Notts and Elizabeth Milner born 1805 Sheffield, farm 17 acres in Beckingham. Probably Rose Cottage, Low Street.
1861 census: Sarah Milner, Widow of John Milner(1V) at Low Street (Lyndale) Beckingham farming 8 acres alone, with a labourer, William Newbold age 19.
1871 census: Sarah Milner Married to George Spencer age 65, cattle dealer form Misterton living at Low Street, Beckingham.
1881 census: Sarah Spencer, Widow, age 77, with daughter Sarah Bennet, 38, and Grandson Harry Bennet, 3, born Tickhill, living at Beckingham
THE “OLLERTON” TREE:
Gervase Milner (1) of Warsop born 9/5/1778 at Beckingham. Entry in 1841.
census at Ollerton for
Gervase Age 60
Ann Miller Age 20
Martha Age 15
Ages were rounded down to the nearest 5 in 1841. Died 11/10/1848 at Ollerton aged 71 (gravestone)
Gervase Milner (1) Married Hannah Oats* Worksop Priory 29/2/1808
*Marriage witnessed by Benjamin Oats and William Peacock. Hannah died 7/2/1837-Ollerton gravestone.
Offspring
William Milner Born circa 1812 Died 4/11/1840 Aged 28 Gravestone
Elizabeth Milner Born 1813 Died 9/2/1837 Age 23
John Milner* (V) Born 5/12/1815 Ollerton
*married Anne Meggitt Ward
Mary Milner Baptised 21/12/1817 Ollerton
Ann Milner Baptised 28/4/1819 Ollerton Died 25/12/1848 Aged 29
Martha Milner Baptised 21/11/1821 Ollerton
Charles Miller* Born 1824
*Married Sarah Bartram, Died 1901 at Ollerton.
IMAGE57
Gainsborough News 6/9/74
Article and photograph of Alan Robinson, Artist

IMAGE58
Meadow Croft, Low Street, Beckingham, June 1993. Negative 8

IMAGE59
Meadow Croft, Low Street, Beckingham, October 1993, Negative 14

MEADOW CROFT, VICARAGE LANE.

1736. This was a homestead in Town End Close. House and buildings were depicted on the map. Close number 44, acreage 2 acres 1 rod 11 poles.
Ownership not known.

1777. Enclosure number on map 81, 2 acres, 2 rods, 39 poles, belonging to J. Brumhead.

After 1779. the owner was then John Sykes. All John Brumhead properties seem to have been sold sometime after 1779, and only 5¾ acres (5 acres 3 rods 24 perches) were bought by a member of that family, viz Samuel. it was called Crabtree Close.

George Bee in his reminiscences of circa 1895 says that George Parkinson travelled to work by donkey cart to the Ship Yard.

1912 Kelly’s Directory –George Parkinson, cow keeper.

Percy Proudley says the house was once occupied by Mr Wright, a retired policeman. It was he who occupied the house in the 1930s when it was remodelled. See his initials and date on east end of the house. He also says Charles Emmerson lived here with his son Harold and daughters Annie and Kathleen, (probably Kitty and Mary). Before Wright a Mr Walker is said to have lived here.

The cottage would originally be brick and pan tiles standing end on to Low Street and facing south. It was the last building on that side of the road until the Vicarage Lane and Walkeringham Road development. The walls are now rendered and the roof was raised. Mr and Mrs G Wolf who now live there (1993) have had an extension built at the rear and the roof is again pantiled after being of slate for many years.

In the 1950s the property was owned and occupied by Mr Ernest Needham who sold the land to Thornhill who built the Vicarage Lane Estate. Mr Needham moved into a new bungalow, High Trees circa 1967 and sold Meadow Croft to Mr and Mrs M Hole (Michael and Elsa Hole), who later sold to Mr and Mrs Wolf in April 1973.

Thomas and Hannah Parkinson who lived at Willow Tree Cottage in 1891 where probably the parents of George. George’s wife, Elizabeth must have died in the 1880s, George then married Marian Darkin who was working as General Servant-Domestic across the road at the then new Vicarage. She was a survivor of the Troopship Birkenhead which sank off The Cape in 1852.
See brass plate in church. More details on another page.

At the time of the tragedy she was the infant daughter of Drum Major John R Darkin. Mrs Parkinson died in 1904, see gravestone.

In 1861 a Joseph Parkinson (wife Elizabeth) lived at the Oil Mill House
on the Trentside. He was Engine Driver at the Oil and Cake Mill. Could there be a connection with George?

Marian Darkin was born in Gosport and it is interesting to speculate on how she came to be in Beckingham. She was working as a maidservant to the Reverend David Hooke before she married George Parkinson so there is the likelihood that she came here with the Reverend Hooke having worked for him perhaps in the south of the country.

The story of the Birkenhead disaster is told in “Drums of the Birkenhead” by David Bevan, Larson Publications, 1972. More notes on the subject in my church and chapel ring binder. PJM.

George Parkinson rented the Tethering Grass Road Garden from the Parish Council for 2/- per annum.

MEADOW CROFT

This property was a homestead with “5 acres of ground, by common estimation”, when it was mentioned in the Marriage Settlement of John Brumhead of Beckingham and Margaret West of Blyton, dated 1710. The acreage seems to have been over estimated and is given as 2 acres 2 roods 39 perches, i.e. 2¾ acres in 1777 at the time of the Enclosures.

The ownership of the holding passed down through a succession of eldest Brumhead sons all called John, until the last John sold it to Mr John Sykes on 6/4/1792 for £150.00. At that time it was in the occupation of ……… Brumhead and Francis Parkin. John Sykes had bought Acre Close from Mr Robert Duckle in 1786.

The Brumhead Marriage Settlement and Wills and the Will of John Sykes can be seen at the Nottinghamshire Archives (see Forward).

John Sykes left this property to Ann, his wife in trust for Ann, daughter of his nephew Thomas Sykes, together with a small close, called Moor or Acre Close. Ann Sykes widow, buried Beckingham, 20/11/1812.

The Abstract of Title of W. S. Ranby to land at Beckingham mentions the Indenture of 9/11/1845 between Joseph Simpson and wife Ann (nee Sykes?) of Lincoln, iremonger, and Samuel Glazier of Hykeham, farmer, and the Reverend Robert Duckle and Adam Stark, gent, both of Gainsborough. The cottage, garden, buildings and land called Cow Bulse, 2 acres 2 roods 39 perches and Acre Close, 1 acre 1 rood 34 perches in the occupation of Joseph Hill were bought by Robert Duckle, who gave the tenancy to Adam Stark. This seems to relate to the auction of 9/4/1845. See the sale notice.

The census return of 1851 show that Joseph Hill was still tenant at that date and I have no knowledge that Adam Stark ever lived here. Adam Stark was Gainsborough Postmaster, Printer, Publisher and the writer of The History of Gainsborough. I remember staying in a house in Kent where an old bricked –up fireplace had been opened up, and hidden in the brickwork were two copies Penny Catechism printed by Stark. How did they get so far afield?

Was John Sykes perhaps a relation of William Sykes who occupied Great Clappin Close and Homestead prior to 31/7/1879? See Doug Adams’ old deeds. Copy in Duckle File.

The later owners of the homestead will probably be listed in the present deeds.

A descendent of the Wright family who lived here circa 1900 is Mr Alastair Wright, 65 Ludstone Road, Kaikowa, New Zealand.

MEADOW CROFT, VICARAGE LANE.

Census Returns.
1831
Joseph Hill,1 male, 1 female (Joseph Hill and Mary Kitchen married 27/9/1802). (Joseph Hill, widower and Mary Hutchinson, married 5/12/1814).

1841 Census Low Street
Joseph Hill 60 Agricultural Labourer
Mary Hill 70
Hannah Lumby 11
(Joseph Hill was tenant of John Sykes who had the property auctioned on 9/4/1845 at the Hare and Hounds. see newspaper advert.).

1851 Census Beckingham Schedule 72.
Joseph Hill Head Married 70 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Mary Hill Wife Married 79 Crowle, Lincs.

1861 Census Low Street Schedule 50
Perhaps
Amos Langton Head Married 39 Farmer of 13 acres Corringham
Mary Langton Wife Married 38 Farmer’s Wife Springthorpe

1871 Census Low Street Schedule 88
Perhaps
George Carter Head Married 41 Agricultural Labourer Scotton
Jane Carter Wife Married 40 Misterton

1881 Census Low Street Schedule 34
George Parkinson Head Married 35 Agricultural Labourer Caenby
Elizabeth Parkinson Wife Married 40 Epworth
William Newbold Son in Law 8 Scholar Beckingham
Elizabeth Parkinson Daughter 5 Scholar Beckingham
Lilian Parkinson Daughter 1 Beckingham
Janet Parkinson Daughter 4months Beckingham

1891 Census Low Street Schedule 47
George Parkinson Head Married 43 Engine Driver at Ship Yard Kexby
Marian Parkinson Head Married 43 Gosport, Hampshire
William Newbold Son in Law 18 Labourer in Ship Yard Beckingham
Lilian Newbold Daughter 11 Scholar Beckingham
Rose Newbold Daughter 3 Scholar Beckingham

1901 Schedule 52, Low Street,
George Parkinson Head Married 53 Stationary Engine Driver Shipyard Kexby
Marion Parkinson Wife Married 52 Gosport, Hampshire
Rose Parkinson Daughter 13 Beckingham

BECKINGHAM, NEAR GAINSBURGH.
Vote for the Hundred of Bassetlaw to be sold by Auction by George Morely.

At the house of Mr Curtis, the sign of The Hare and Hounds, at Beckingham, in the county of Nottingham, on Wednesday the 9th day of April 1845, at 5 o’clock in the Evening, and subject to such conditions of sale as may be then and there produced.

The following very valuable and desirable Free-hold Property consisting of Lot 1. All that excellent well built Brick and Tiles Dwelling house, with convenient Out –buildings, good Garden and Orchard, and also all that Close of Meadow Land, called Low Bulse, adjoining the same containing 2 Acres 2 Roods 39 Perches (be the same more or less), banded on the South and East by an occupation road to the River Trent, on the North by Lands of Henry Watson, Esq. and on the West by the high road from Beckingham to Walkeringham.

Lot 2. All that Close of Meadow Land called Acre Close, containing 1 Acre 1 Rood and 34 Perches (be the same more or less), and bounded North, West
and South by lands of Robert Duckle Esq., and on the East by lands of James Cross Esq.

The above property is in the tenure of Mr Joseph Hill, who is under notice to quit at Lady-day next, and who will show the same on application. Further particulars may be had of the auctioneer at Gainsburgh.
Gainsburgh, 26/3/1845

From Stamford Mercury 4/4/1845, p.1, col.6.
NOTE-A copy of the original advert of the above is contained in the files.

WILL OF JOHN SYKES, YEOMAN 31/8/1811
First I give to Robert Penny of Gringley and Richard Finningley of Beckingham all real and personal estate in trust for my wife Ann and after her death to above in further trust I give and bequeath to Ann Sykes daughter of Nephew Thomas Sykes of Lincoln All my real estate consisting of dwelling house outbuildings garden orchard and close adjoining. Also another close called Moor Close together with all the appurtenances thereto belonging and to her heirs and executors when she shall reach 21. In case she die the estate to her brother William.

Witnessed by Thomas Tong, George Quibell, Joseph Stephenson.

(Moor Close has been previously been referred to as Acre Close. PJM.).

ROBERT DUCKLE OF BECKINGHAM, GENTLEMAN. 3O/3/1786.
and John Sykes of above. In consideration of sum of £43.00 paid by J Sykes all that close of meadow pasture ground called the Acre Close, 1 acre 1 rood, 34 perches bounded South and West by premises belonging to Mrs. Flinton and North and East by premises belonging to Mr Peart.

Acre Close was called Moor Close, Number 199 on the Enclosure Award. John Sykes bought Meadow Croft from John Bromhead in 1792.

BIRKENHEAD DISASTER 1852

Marion Parkinson survived the disaster when she was a child of only four years. The census returns show that she was born at Gosport in 1848, and later in life came to Beckingham as the domestic servant of the Reverend Mr Hooke and his wife who were the first tenants of the new Victorian vicarage built 1873/4. In the nearby Meadow Croft Cottages lived George Parkinson and his wife Elizabeth. Elizabeth appears to have died sometime between 1871 and 1881, see census returns, and her widower takes Marion Parkinson from the Vicarage as his second wife. The date of the wedding would show whether his daughter Rose, born 1888, was Elizabeth’s or Marian’s.

IMAGE60
Birkenhead Disaster-Rescue Scene.

IMAGE61
The Wreck of the Birkenhead

NOTE-Article about Birkenhead sinking appeared in Telegraph Magazine and a copy is in the files, however it contains no mention of Beckingham.

IMAGE62
June 2000. Photograph of Jane nee Wright and her Husband. Visitors from New Zealand. Descended from Wright who once lived at Meadow Croft, Beckingham. Parent’s address-Alastair Wright, 65 Ludstone Road, Kaikawa, New Zealand. Negative 2, developed 4/10/2000.

FOLLOWING NOTES GIVEN BY JANE NEE WRIGHT, JUNE 2000.
1. George Parkinson
2. Elizabeth Hannah Parkinson married James Wright. Elizabeth and James Wright moved to New Zealand in 1914.
3. Elizabeth and James had a son named Frank born in 1910. In 1939 he married Zoe Matthews and died in 1997. They had daughters- Dorothy, Diana and Julie and a son Alistair, plus one other child.
4. Alistair Wright married Margaret Kelland and had one son David, and two daughters Helen and Jane.
5. Aunt Lilian and Grandfather George Parkinson followed Elizabeth Hannah Wright and James and Frank Wright to New Zealand (it was this Jane who visited Beckingham and provided this information)
There seems to be a discrepancy regarding Elizabeth Parkinson which may be cleared up when the 1901 census returns are available. (PJM). The Wrights senior came to the village in August 2000 but as we did not see them, we were probably out. They saw Don Hunt (Churchwarden) and visited the church.

IMAGE63
Sale notice from Retford Times 11/2/1999 re: sale of Meadow Croft at £89,950.00. Sold May 1999 by Guy and Pat Wolf who moved to Leamington Spa June, 1999.

MEMORIAL TO MARION PARKINSON – SURVIVOR OF THE BIRKENHEAD WRECK.

The brass plaque situated on the north-west wall of the tower of the church at Beckingham in north Nottinghamshire reads as follows:
“Sacred to the memory of Mrs. Marian Parkinson a survivor of the troopship ‘Birkenhead’ wrecked off the Cape on 26 February 1852 under circumstances which evoked the admiration of all countries. She was the daughter of Drum-Major R. Darkin of the Queen’s Regiment and died on 17 November 1904.

Erected by the Officers and all Ranks of the 1st Battalion The Queen’s Regiment.”

The following account of the loss of the troopship ‘Birkenhead’ was taken from the book “On the Strength”, the story of the British Army Wife, written by Veronica Bamfield and published by Charles Knight and Co. London and Tonbridge, 1974, page 33.

“The Birkenhead had been specially modified for trooping and the modifications had deprived her of a number of watertight bulkheads. In December 1851 she had sailed from Spithead for South Africa, carrying reinforcements for the Kaffir war. On February 26 of the following year, she foundered on a reef approaching Port Elizabeth, water flooding in all the faster because of the missing bulkheads. The ship was doomed from the first.

All women and children were ordered into the cutters, the men had to fall in on deck. The whole scene was one of intolerable agony and horror, as the women clung to their husbands in what, except for a very few, was the last goodbye, and the terrified blindfolded horses were driven overboard. The discipline of the men in these agonising circumstances was impeccable and heroic. Few of them could swim. When the ‘Birkenhead’ broke in two and orders were given to abandon ship, it was impossible for all but a few to survive the dense seaweed and the waiting sharks. All the women and children were saved.”

Unfortunately no indication is given as to the fate of the Drum Major R Darkin nor of Mrs Marion Parkinson’s association with Beckingham. On the page facing number 36 of the same book is a copy of a painting by Thomas M Henry, entitled “The Wreck of The Birkenhead”, reproduced by courtesy of the National Army Museum.

 

IMAGE64
Bulse Farm, Walkeringham Road. October 1993 Negative 18

IMAGE65
Bulse Farm, Walkeringham Road. August 1993 Negative 0A

BULSE FARM, WALKERINGHAM ROAD.

1736 called Upper Bulse, an old enclosure of 4 acres 2 rods 16 perches number 41 on the map. Owner was indicated by f.

1777 called Upper Bulse, a close of 5 acres 0 rods 00 perches. number 88 on the enclosure map. The reason for the acreage discrepancy is not obvious. It belonged to George Morton but Robert Cross owned it sometime after 1779.

The new farmstead was built in the northern part of the above field. The farmstead was built between 1881 and 1891. It first appeared on the 1891 census return. (see details below). The farmer’s children were born in Beckingham, the eldest being 6 in 1891 so the farmstead was probably built between 1881 and 1885.

REGISTER OF ELECTORS.
1967 Thomas C. Snowden was the occupier and owner, and again in 1970. He had probably been there since the 1920s. He, along with Spittlehouse built the adjoining garage. When he retired from farming, Proudleys (Herbert and Sons) took the land. When he died sometime in the 1970s the house was bought by A. Killelay who had previously lived in a bungalow at Wood Farm.

Although built in late Victorian times the house faces south and is end to the road. Wire cut bricks were used and the roof is Welsh slate.

Percy Proudley remembers it being occupied by Hodson.

Bulse is called Bulls in Abstract of Title of Croft House and other Meynell property.

George Bee says Mr. Stocks, smallholder, circa 1895 was then occupant.

The filed to the north of the farmstead was part of the farm when T.C. Snowden was occupier.

1996 I understand that the farm land has now been bought from Snowden’s heirs by the tenant G Proudley, who sold some of it in 1998.

NO.49 WALKERINGHAM ROAD

Census Returns
1891
James Stocks Head Married 31 Farmer (employer) Styrup
Ellen Stocks Wife Married 31 Kirkby in Ashfield
Elizabeth Stocks Daughter 6 Scholar Beckingham
James Stocks Son 4 Scholar Beckingham
George Stocks Son 2 Beckingham
Thomas Stocks Father Married 51 Farmer (employer) Tickhill

1901 Schedule 55, Walkeringham Road
William Hodson Head Married 69 Farmer Rouceby
Elizabeth Hodson Wife Married 69 Boothby Graffo
Edward Hodson Son Single 33 Farmer’s Son Hackthorn

IMAGE 66
Dolanog, Walkeringham Road, Beckingham. For sale notice Retford Times, 11/5/2000

GAZEBO, THE HALL, LOW STREET.
Built into the roadside wall opposite Church Street. The lead cap on the rood bears the rough inscription giving the date as 1803 and the initials. This may be the building date; it is of 2.5inch bricks in Flemish Bond with a string course at upper floor level. The brick work appears similar to that at the near by ‘Spinney’. The building is roughly 10 feet square externally and just over 9 feet square internally. The lower part is a brick floored shed used for storing gardening equipment and has no windows, just a door. The upper part is plastered and should have a ceiling. There are three windows and a door. Access is by an outside brick stair with flagstone treads. Ceiling replaced in March 1996. The decayed brickwork of the lower courses was replaced in 19? and a D.P.C. inserted. On the roadside the brickwork was particularly rotten and was replaced both inside and out to within a few courses of the string course.
1881 Census Low Street, Schedule 24. Born at
James Clay Head Married. 41 Farmer of 84 acres employing 2 men Dewsbury
Jane Clay Wife Married. 42 Gringley
James H. Clay Farmer’s Son Dewsbury
Jane E. Clay Daughter. 12 Scholar Dewsbury
Edwin L. Clay Son 10 Scholar Dewsbury
Catherine M. Clay Daughter. 7 Scholar Beckingham
Dorothy G. Clay Daughter 5 Scholar Beckingham
Mary E. Clay Daughter. Beckingham
Elizabeth Hargreaves Governess. Unmarried. 32 Governess Teacher Ilkeston, Derby
Mary Cobb Servant Unmarried. 18 Housemaid, Domestic Servant. Lound
Alice E Barlow Servant Unmarried. 18 Cook, Domestic Servant. Retford
1891 Census Low Street, Schedule 37.
James Clay Head Married. 51 Farmer Dewsbury
Jane Clay Wife Married. 52 Gringley
Catherine M. Clay Daughter Single 17 Farmer’s Daughter Beckingham
Ann E. Nelson Servant Single 15 General Servant Domestic Graizelound
1901 Schedule 43, The Hall. Born
Charles Hill Head Married. 40 Farmer Employer Misterton
Georgiana Hill Wife Married. 39 Beckingham
Percy N. Hill Son Single. 14 Beckingham
Leonard C. Hill Son 2 Beckingham
Minnow ReutuerServant Single.33General Domestic Servant   Worker.  Germany
BECKINGHAM HALL, LOW STREET, BECKINGHAM
1831 Census
Mr. Massingberd, 1 male, 5 females
1841 Census
Thomas  Newbold 35 Farmer
Ann Newbold35
Mary Newbold12
Ann Newbold 10
John Newbold 7
John Dunn 25 Male Single
Mary Newton 22 Female Single
John Crowder 15 Male Single
1851 Census Beckingham Schedule 77 Born at
Thomas Newbold Head Married 47 Farmer of 450 acres, 14 labourers Beckingham
Ann Newbold Wife Married 47 Beckingham
Mary NewboldDaughter Unmarried22Farmers Daughter employed at homeClixby, Lincs.
John NewboldSon Unmarried17Farmer’s sonClixby, Lincs Mary Jane NewboldNiece14House ServantGrasby, Lincs
Lydia Gladwin Visitor 9 Scholar Sheffield,Yorks.
Jane Duckering Servant Unmarried 20 House Servant Hemswell
George Newbold Servant Unmarried 20 Farm Servant Grasby.
1861 Census Beckingham Hall, Low street, Schedule 40
(Ann wife of Thomas above was now a widow living at Aylestone Cottage   schedule 45; her place of birth has changed to Walkeringham).
John Newbold Head Marrried 27 Farmer of 300 acres and Land Agent Clixby
Rebecca Newbold Wife Married 22 (employing 8 labourers and 3 boys) Crowle Grange
George Mark Visitor Unmaried 23 Clerk to Auctioneer Brentford, Midddlesex
Mary Jane Newbold Servant Unmarried 24 Housemaid Grasby, Lincs.
Sarah Newbold Servant Unmarried 16 Dairy Maid ?, Notts
William Spencer Servant Worker 37 Groom Everton, Notts.
1871 Census, Low Street schedule 78
Wheelwright Gagg Head Married 35 Farmer 100 acres Misterton
Jane Gagg Wife Married 30 Misterton
Thomas GaggSon2
William GaggBrother Married40DraperMisterton
Mary Gagg Niece 16 Dairy Maid Misterton
George W. Gagg Nephew 14 Misterton
Fred Gagg Nephew 12 Misterton
Harrison SmithServant23Farm Servant IndoorScotter