Title Image

File 16a – Work in progress!

Peter Mason File 16a

Bar Road

FOR SALE BY PRIVATE TREATY HS/1332

A FREEHOLD DETACHED HOUSE

“GREEN COTTAGE”

STATION ROAD

BECKINGHAM

A detached cottage attractively situated near to the centre of the village, which is convenient for Retford and Gainsborough. The property faces south, has room for extension, and enjoys extensive gardens.

The accommodation comprises:-

ENTRANCE HALL

SITTING ROOM

14′ x 15’6″ with modern tiled fireplace, three wall light points and store understairs.

BREAKFASTING KITCHEN

13’6″ x 12’0 modern tiled fireplace, back boiler, vitreous enamel sink unit, point for electric cooker, WALK-IN PANTRY.

BATHROOM

With panelled bath, wash basin, airing cupboard with hot water cylinder.

FIRST FLOOR

STORAGE CUPBOARD ON LANDING

DOUBLE BEDROOM

10′ x 15′

DOUBLE BEDROOM

15′ x 7’2″ with built-in wardrobes with sliding doors.

OUTSIDE

GREENHOUSE, useful asbestos and steel frame, WORKSHOP, 32′ x 18′, fuel bunker. Extensive areas of lawned garden with productive vegetable garden, ORCHARD.

GENERAL REMARKS

TENURE

Freehold

RATES

Rateable Value: £135
General Rates Payable: £85.93 per annum

SERVICES

Mains water, electricity and drainage.

POSSESSION

Vacant possession will be given on completion.

VIEWING

Any reasonable time.

PRICE

£19,750

SOLICITORS

Messrs Burton and Dyson
22 Market Place
GAINSBOROUGH
Lincolnshire
DN21 2BZ

(Telephone: Gainsborough 3042)

GREEN OR GREENWOOD COTTAGE ON STATION ROAD SECTION OF LOW STREET

1736 Map. This was plot no 95, a half acre homestead belonging to Thomas Hall’s estate.

1777 Map. Plot 108 2 roods, 8 perches, a homestead on Thomas Waterhouses estate.

1779 and later it continued on the Waterhouse estate until the estate was divided in 1840 when this and other property was inherited by Mrs Ellen Metcalf. On 18/08/1869 the cottage was sold by the Misses Metcalfe to Charles Cross, Samuel Hill being shown as the tenant although he appears to have died before then. Besides plot 108, Samuel Hill was tenant of two other home closes, one was no 113 of 2 roods, 32 perches, the other no 114 of 1 rood, 38 perches. He was also named as tenant of Honey Hole Close numbers 231 and 232 being 1R 3R 24P. The two home closes were not contiguous with the messuage and 113 was described as a homestead of the Enclosure Map of 1777.

Circa 1895 T Gurnhill here according to Mr George Bee.

Ernest Johnson said Burton lived here.

1967 and 1970 Electoral Register – Wm H Pickering and wife Catherine P.

Percy Proudley said Chas Robinson was here.

1993 Owned and occupied by Mr and Mrs Martin Keeble who built the extension.

Brickwork – rendered and painted white.
Roofs were pantiled, now concrete slabs.
Gables – no sign of a parapet or tumbled brickwork.
Main ground floor room – the ceiling joists indicate that this is an old building.
The extension built on the south side of the cottage blocks the south facing window of the old part.

GREENWOOD COTTAGE, STATION ROAD, NOW LOW STREET

A flattish circular stone was found on this site in the 19? When Adams brothers were preparing the area that had been sold off, for building a house for J M Morfin. In 2002 the house is occupied by ? The stone was found just below the surface in front of a wooden shed, now demolished, which stood roughly at the end of what is now Greenwood Cottage driveway. It was then taken across the road to Philip Adam’s Willowcroft, and not removed until used as The Millennium Stone on the Village Green. It has been described as a wheelwrights stone used when hooping wooden wheels, but it obviously started life as a millstone, and it was perhaps damaged in transit and never used at the mill. Two pieces are missing from the now buried edge and there are no grooves in it.

Charles Robinson lived here, I am told, and he sold paraffin from the shed or joiners shop. He seems an unlikely wheelwright as he worked for the Council on the roads. Even if he did make wooden wheels it is unlikely that he would use the stone when hooping them. John Bee was the main joiner and wheelwright at that time and he took the wooden wheels to the blacksmith. The blacksmith made the iron rim and the wheel was hooped using the circular plate which was situated in the smiths yard.

John Harris of Epworth, once a blacksmith, says the hole in the centre of the stone would not be big enough to take the nave of a cart wheel.

GREEN OR GREENWOOD COTTAGE ON STATION ROAD PART OF LOW STREET

Census Returns

1831

Samuel Hill, householder, 5 males, 2 females
(27/11/1820 Samuel Hill married Elizabeth Haigh at Beckingham).

1841 Low Street

Samuel Hill 50 Agricultural Labourer
Elizabeth Hill 50
Mary Hill 9
Sam Hill 7

1851 Beckingham Schedule 95

Samuel Hill Head M 59 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Elizabeth Hill Wife M 59 Torworth

(George Beckett, see below was a lodger with George Hill, in 1851 at schedule 9. George Beckett married Mary Hill. Perhaps Samuel and George Hill were related).

1861 Low Street, Schedule 19 Eliz Hill, Schedule 20 The Becketts

(Since the last census Eliz Hill had been widowed, although described as unmarried. The cottage had been invaded by her daughter, son-in-law and children. They were recorded as two families living in one house. In 1891 the cottage had 4 rooms only).

Elizabeth Hill Head Unm 69 Cowkeeper Torworth
George Beckett Head M 35 Cordwainer (Master) Morton, Lincolnshire
Mary Beckett Wife M 29 Beckingham
Ann E Beckett Dau 6 Scholar Beckingham
Sarah Beckett Dau 5 Scholar Beckingham
Thomas Beckett Son 3 Beckingham

1871 Station Road Schedule 106

George Beckett Head M 45 Cordwainer Morton
Mary Beckett Wife M 39 Beckingham
Elizabeth Beckett Dau Unm 39 Beckingham
Thomas Beckett Son 13 Scholar Beckingham
Clara Beckett Dau 6 Scholar Beckingham
Elizabeth Hill Mother W 79 Farmer’s Widow Torworth
(The Becketts had moved to High Street by 1881).

1881 Station Road Schedule 5
Temporarily absent on census night.

1891 Station Road Schedule 16, 4 rooms

Thomas Gurnhill Head M 60 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Mary Gurnhill Wife M 56 Ingham
George F Gurnhill Son S 30 Agricultural Labourer Walkeringham
Arthur Gurnhill Son S 18 Labourer in Shipyard Beckingham
Francis H Gurnhill Son S 14 Beckingham

1901 Schedule 23 Station Road, 4 rooms

Thomas Gurnhill Head M 70 Ordinary Agricultural Labourer Worker Beckingham
Mary Gurnhill Wife M 66 Ingham

IMAGE16A/01 Rod Piling Brake

IMAGE16A/02 Mrs Charmain Heaton told me of a dance called “Stripping the Willow”.

GREENWOOD COTTAGE

Philip Adams told me that when he built, in the 1960’s the house at the corner of The Green and what is now part of Low Street (Formerly part of Station Road), he unearthed from the garden near the old workshop in Greenwood Cottage garden a piece of granite, roughly circular in shape with a hole in the middle and of a similar size to the iron plate used by blacksmiths when hooping wheels. I am of the opinion that a granite stone would not be used for that purpose.

The stone has remained as a picnic table in the garden of the house built for Morfin, called ?, until 2001 when it was removed to Smithson’s Fretwell Farm barn to be engraved prior to it being set up on the Village Green to commemorate the millennium.

IMAGE16A/03 Beckingham Church Officers From Mrs Elsham’s scrap book. Probably compiled by Mr George Bee. 1 Beckingham 05/1931, General News. 2 Gringley 12.40 am, night of 7/8 05/1941. Beckingham was bombed on night of 05/04/1941.

IMAGE16A/04 Copied 09/1993 Neg 00. Greenwood Cottage from South West before being extended by Mr and Mrs Martin Keebles.

IMAGE16A/05 Developed 09/1993 Neg 36A Greenwood Cottage, Station Road; with extension to the south. Seen from North East. 09/1993.

IMAGE16A/06 Developed end of 06/1995 Neg 19. Pair of cottages, Station Road, Beckingham. Arthur Garner’s on left 06/1995.

IMAGE16A/07 Developed 09/1993. Neg 34A. Pair of cottages on Station Road 09/1993.

PAIR OF COTTAGES ON THE EAST SIDE OF STATION ROAD, NOW LOW STREET

1736 Map. No 71 a Homestead of 1a, 1r, 00p and No 72 a Home Close of 2a, 1r, 37p.

Both have the reference letter X, as also has No 70, a Home Close of 1a, 2p.

1777 Map. No 59 a Homestead of 3a, 3r, 13p belonging to Mary Royston.
No 60, 2 lands in a Home Close, 1r, 26p, also Royston’s.

1779 Rating List. Ownership has changed to Thomas Waterhouse.

This pair of cottages are on the Northern half of what was Mary Royston’s holding in 1777.

Construction:- The gables have tumbled brickwork, but no parapet. Both were pantiled roofs but the Southern one is now concrete tiles. The Southern one has also had new windows and the brickwork was repointed in the early 1990’s.

Northern Cottage of the pair:- Inhabitants:-

George Bee said Mr Parkin, labourer.

Percy Proudley said Sidney Garner, post war.

In 1994 Arthur Garner has this cottage but probably lives with his sister elsewhere. The building is becoming very dilapidated.

Alwin Ingall said Garner lived here. Arthur Garner died 03/1999.

Southern Cottage of the pair, called “The Cottage” Inhabitants:-

George Bee said Mr G Wood, labourer.

Percy Proudley said George Lockwood.

Alwin Ingall said Riley then Lockwood.

The Southern cottage and the paddock to the north of the Northern cottage were sold soon after the death of George Lockwood. The paddock was bought by Mr and Mrs Heaton who built a house thereon named Trevayne. The cottage was bought by ? who had it restored.

PAIR OF COTTAGES ON THE EAST SIDE OF STATION ROAD, NOW LOW STREET

Census Returns for Northern cottage of the pair.

1831 Census

Perhaps John Keighsley, 2 males, 4 females

1841 Census Low Street

Perhaps

Elizabeth Hurt 30 Jobber
John Hurt 6
Edith Stovin 2

1851 Census Beckingham Schedule 96

Perhaps

Thomas Curtis Head M 38 Labourer Beckingham
Sarah Curtis Wife M 37 Beckingham
George Curtis Son 12 Beckingham
Charlotte Curtis Dau 10 Beckingham
Charles Curtis Son 7 Scholar Beckingham
Jane Curtis Dau 4 Scholar Beckingham
Enoch Curtis Son 2 Beckingham

1861 Census Low Street Schedule 18

William Parkin Head M 40 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Harriet Parkin Wife M 40 Laundress Egmanton
Ann Parkin Dau Unm 20 Laundress Beckingham
(William Parkin was living near Holme House, Bar Road in 1841).

1871 Census Station Road Schedule 107

William Parkin Head M 50 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Harriet Parkin Wife M 50 Egmanton
William Parkin Son Unm 27 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham

1881 Census Station Road Schedule 4

William Parkin Head M 60 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Harriet Parkin Wife M 60 Laundress Egmanton

1891 Census Station Road Schedule 15, 4 rooms

William Parkin Head M 71 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Harriet Parkin Wife M 71 Egmanton
Robert Tonge Boarder S 24 Ships Rivetter Doncaster

1901 Census 22 Station Road, 4 rooms

Charles R Robinson Head M 33 Road Labourer RDC Worker Beckingham
Martha A Robinson Wife M 33 Beckingham
Marguarite E Robinson Dau 6 Beckingham
Doris M Robinson Dau 3

PAIR OF COTTAGES ON THE EAST SIDE OF STATION ROAD, NOW LOW STREET

Census Returns for Southern cottage of the pair.

1831 Census

Perhaps William Keightley, 2 male, 2 female

1841 Census Low Street

Perhaps

John Keightley 60 Agricultural Labourer
Sarah Keightley 20
Susannah Horsley 14
Anthony Horsley 10
George ? 8

1851 Census Beckingham Schedule 97

Perhaps

William Keightley Head Widow 71 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
William Pygott Son-in-law M 36 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Sarah Pygott Son’s wife M 31 Beckingham

1861 Census Low Street Schedule 17

William Pigot Head 46 Agricultural Labourer Rampton
Sarah Pigot Wife 40 Beckingham
William Keightley Father-in-law 86 Agricultural Labourer Gringley on the Hill

1871 Census Station Road Schedule 108

William Newbold Head M 29 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Elizabeth Newbold Wife M 31 Epworth
Frederick W Newbold Son 7 Scholar Beckingham
Georgiana Newbold Dau 9 Beckingham
Eliza J Newbold Dau 3 months Beckingham

1881 Census Station Road Schedule 3

Eliza Cassan Wife M 36 Wife of Agricultural Labourer Morton, Lincolnshire
Sarah J Cassan Dau 13 Scholar Gringley
John Cassan Son 11 Scholar Gringley
Annie Cassan Dau 5 Scholar Beckingham

1891 Census Station Road Schedule 14, 4 rooms

George Wood Head Widow 56 Carter Grewelthorpe, Yorkshire

1901 Census Schedule 21 Station Road, 4 rooms

William Parkin Head M 81 Labourer RDC Worker Beckingham
Harriet Parkin Wife M 81 Egmanton
William H Northedge Gson S 15 Labourer Coal Yard Beckingham

IMAGE16A/08 Retford and North Nottinghamshire Guardian 27/04/1988

IMAGE16A/09 Copied 09/1993 Neg 13A. Pair of cottages Station Road, Beckingham, in 1984 before being altered into a single dwelling.

IMAGE16A/10 Developed 08/1993 Neg 9A. Royston Cottage, Station Road, Beckingham, in August 1993 after alterations. Named after an 18th century owner.

IMAGE16A/11 Map of Beckingham

IMAGE16A/12 Map of Beckingham

ROYSTON COTTAGE, STATION ROAD, NOW LOW STREET

1710 This was Mr Royston’s property, see marriage settlement of J Bromhead, Thistle Farm. In 1736 this site totalled 4a, 3r, 37p with close no 79 called Upper Furlong of 3a, 1r, 07p.

In 1777 this same site was estimated at 4a, 0r, 39p with close 54 called now South Field Close of 3a, 2r, 18p. Owner Mary Royston. Received at the enclosure allotment was 3a, 0r, 27p. on Saundby Road and 7a, 1r, 08p and 2a, 0r, 11p in the Marshes. See next page.

Beckingham Marriage Register.
Mr Thomas Royston and Mris Ann Hogard “was married at Retford” 21/05/1683.

The above groom was obviously a man of some importance to be called Mr and to marry at Retford. His bride was given the title of Mris. Which probably indicated rank rather than marital status, ie she was most likely a spinster, not a widow.

Rector’s Book of Clayworth Page 82

The rector recorded in 1688 “that at May day Mr Thomas Royston came from Beckingham with his family to settle at his house here; and on ye 1st of November following, in a difference upon some words, he brake his gun barrel over ye head of Thomas Hellyfield; but after an arrest, and ye beginning of a suit, things were compounded and quieted.”

It seems likely that there is some connection between this property and Royston Manor, but what it can be is not immediately obvious. The Otter family were in Clayworth in 1715 when Roger Otter, Rob Fretwell not George Ryd compiled the inventory of the goods of Thomas Royston. The Otters lived at Royston Manor until c1939. There does not seem to have been sufficient land attached to make a farm or estate of the land at Beckingham. Was Mary Royston of Beckingham at the Enclosures of 1777 the daughter of Thomas Royston of Clayworth who died 1715?

George Bee said the occupiers circa 1895 were:-
Road side cottage Mr S Wharton, joiner at Marshalls Works.
Eastern end Cottage Mr W B Halle.

Percy Proudley:- Wright had far end and Spratt near the road.

It has been difficult to allocate tenants to cottages from the census returns as there is no means of knowing which was listed first.

Mr and Mrs A C Jordan had the building modernised c1980 and made into one house. The brickwork was rendered and the roof altered on the north side. It was probably they who called it Royston Cottage, after Mary Royston who owned the property, which included the other pair of cottages, in 1777.

It is said that this was known as Blue Gates before being called Royston Cottage.

Alwin Ingall says Joe Wright lived here.

SOUTHERN PAIR OF COTTAGES ON STATION ROAD, NOW LOW STREET . NOW ROYSTON COTTAGE A single dwelling since c1980.

LARGER COTTAGE, END TO THE ROAD

1831 Census

Robert Cottam, 3 male, 3 female. Described as yeoman farmer in Whites 1832. He had Freehold Land at Crabtree Close, see 1833/1834 Electoral Roll.

1841 Census Low Street

Robert Cottam 40 Agricultural Labourer
Mary Cottam 35
Robert Cottam 13
Sarah Cottam 12
George Cottam 10
Richard Cottam 7
Mary Cottam 5
Jane Cottam 3
William Cottam 4 months
Sarah Brumhead 55 Inmate (Mother of Mary Cottam. See Brumhead deeds).

1851 Census Beckingham Schedule no 99

Jonathon Crowder Head M 54 Agricultural Labourer Clayworth
Elizabeth Crowder Wife M 49 Dunham
Hannah Crowder Dau 12 Beckingham

1861 Census Low Street Schedule 16

Jonathon Crowder Head M 64 Agricultural Labourer Clayworth
Elizabeth Crowder Wife M 59 Dunham

1871 Census Station Road Schedule 110

Jonathon Crowder Head M 74 Agricultural Labourer Clayworth
Elizabeth Crowder Wife M 69 Dunham

1881 Census Station Road Schedule 2

John Gurnhill Head M 54 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Eleanor Gurnhill Wife M 49 Boston Fen
Thomas G Gurnhill Gson 4 Beckingham

1891 Census Station Road Schedule 12

Samuel Wharton Head M 40 Joiner Thorparch Yorkshire
Sarah Ann Wharton Wife M 39 Misterton
Thomas Wharton Son S 18 Labourer in Shipyard Lincoln
Arthur Wharton Son 15 Labourer in Coachyard Beckingham
Frederick W Wharton Son 13 Scholar Beckingham
Ernest Wharton Son 8 Scholar Beckingham

1901 Schedule 19 Station Road, 4 rooms

Henry Waterfield Head M 43 Joiner Worker Sheffield
Sarah J Waterfield Wife M 44 Edingley
Mary Waterfield Mother Widow 79 Holme
Walter Baguley Nephew S 20 Ship Plate Rivetter Worker Mansfield

SOUTHERN PAIR OF COTTAGES ON STATION ROAD, NOW LOW STREET. NOW ROYSTON COTTAGE A Single dwelling since C1980.

SMALLER COTTAGE AT EAST END

1831 Census

George Hall, 3 male, 3 female

1841 Census Low Street

Chas Johnson 35 Agricultural Labourer
Charlotte Johnson 30
Susannah Johnson 15
Rebecca Johnson 10
William Johnson 6
Elizabeth Johnson 3
Ann Johnson 3
Rob Watkinson 50 Agricultural Labourer

1851 Census Beckingham Schedule no 98

Charles Johnson Head M 47 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Charlotte Johnson Wife M 43 Retford
Elizabeth Johnson Dau 15 Beckingham
Ann Johnson Dau 13 Beckingham
Enoch Johnson Son 7 Scholar Beckingham
George Johnson Son 4 Beckingham

1861 Census Low Street Schedule 15

Charles Johnson Head M 57 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Charlotte Johnson Wife M 53 Retford
Elizabeth Johnson Dau Unm 23 Lately a house servant now out of place. Beckingham
Tomlinson Ranshaw Servant Unm 21 Farm Servant Carter Walkeringham
Enoch Johnson Son Unm 18 Farm Servant Carter Beckingham
William Johnson Gson 9 months Beckingham

1871 Census Station Road Schedule 109 (Probably at Rose Cottage, Low Street in 1861).

William Jaques Head M 62 Agricultural Labourer Not Known
Elizabeth Jaques Wife M 64 Long Collingham
George Jaques Gson 9 Scholar Beckingham
Arthur Jaques Gson 6 Scholar Beckingham
Emily Jacques Gdau 11 Scholar Beckingham

1881 Census Station Road Schedule 1

Elizabeth Jaques Head Widow 75 Collingham
George Jaques Gson 19 Iron Moulder (Apprentice) Beckingham
(Monumental Inscription William Jaques died 08/03/1877 aged 70. Elizabeth his wife died 21/04/1883 aged 78).

1891 Census Station Road Schedule 13, 4 rooms

William P B Halle Head M 51 Accountant Clerk Paris (British Subject)
Amelia P B Halle Wife M 50 London, Middlesex
Percy PB Halle Son 12 Scholar Wimbledon, Surrey

1901 Schedule 20 Station Road, 3 rooms

Alexander Noall Head M 76 Retired Shipwright Sunderland, Durham
Elizabeth Noall Wife M 70 Sunderland, Durham

IMAGE16A/13 Rector’s Book

IMAGE16A/14 Map of Beckingham Station Road

IMAGE16A/15 Mr Timson Pickering Extract from an article about Beckingham in the Doncaster Chronicle of 21/06/1956.

IMAGE16A/16

IMAGE16A/17

IMAGE16A/18

IMAGE16A/19

IMAGE16A/20

IMAGE16A/21

IMAGE16A/22 Part of Deeds of Mr Timson Pickerings Diary Farm, Beckingham

IMAGE16A/23 Developed 08/1994 Neg 24. Mr H T Pickering’s Dairy farm House, Station Street, Beckingham. 18/08/1994. Mr Pickering now lets this house and lives in the new Round Bungalow across the road having moved from the other bungalow.

IMAGE16A/24 A08/1993 Neg 8A. Mr Tim Pickering’s Diary Farm House Station Road Corner, Beckingham 08/1993. This is now let and he lives in bungalow seen on right of picture.

ROTHERLEIGH DAIRY FARM, STATION ROAD CORNER

1736 This property is shown on the map of that date as a Homestead no 74 of 1 acre 1 rood and no 73 a Home Close of 3 acres 1 rood 8 perches, being part of the estate of Thomas Hall.

1777. The enclosure Map shows it as no 58 of 4 acres 1 rood 31 perches, owned by Thomas Waterhouse, being part of the property he inherited from his brother in law, Thomas Hall.

1795. Thomas Waterhouse died and the estate of around 500 acres plus property in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, and shares in Gainsborough Bridge was left in trust to his wife Anne, then on her death to their younger daughter, Elizabeth Hawksmore, then to her children.

1840. Elizabeth Hawksmore Massingberd died and the inheritance passed to her children Hompesch, Christiana Louisa, Ellen and Mary Jane, with the exception of the elder son, Thomas who was excluded by his grandfather’s will from benefiting. This rather odd exclusion was made before his elder son was born. Mrs Mary Teale inherited this Homestead as part of her quarter share. Ann Cliff was the then tenant. On the death of Mrs Teale the ownership passed to her daughter Mrs Meggitt. Included in the Reverend Hompesch Massingberd’s quarter share was South Field Close no 55 on the Enclosure Map and of 2 acres 3 roods 13 perches. More details of this close no 55 and close no 54 which became attached to this holding are given on a later page.

1866. The Tithe Book gives the owner of the homestead as being Mr Rogers and the tenant was George Wells who at some later date must have bought the cottage George Wells also rented the Moor Closes form Miss Rudsdell, who probably acquired them from Mrs Teale.

12/10/1910. George Wells died leaving his property, consisting of this Corner House and Close of 4 acres 1 rood 31 perches no 58 also South Field Close no 54 of 3 acres 2 roods 18 perches and another South Field Close no 55 of 3 acres, in trust for his wife to benefit from the profits thereof. The trustee was George William Thom.

20/10/1913. Mrs Wells died and the three properties were sold on 01/12/1913 to Henry Rose Esquire for £1,365. The two South Field Closes were then in the occupation of John Atkinson Anyan of Croft House.

14/04/1920. Henry Rose died and ownership was transferred to William Henry Rose at which time the tenant was Mrs Rogers.

24/09/1946. William Henry Rose sold the property to Mr Hubert Timson Pickering.

Mr Pickering told me that his business originated in the 1930’s when he collected neighbours milk and delivered it to the diary along with that from their own farm. The family farmed originally at Ernam near Corby Glen before moving to Kneesal. He was born at Osgodby near Market Rasen in 1911.

Later he ran the business from Cottam, but in 1946 he had the opportunity to buy the small holding at Beckingham. This chance came about because Mr Oswald Harrison’s daughter was ill and in Sheffield hospital, and Mrs Harrison was able to get a lift to see her on Mr Pickering’s milk lorry. Mr Harrison heard about the property being likely to come onto the market and told Mr Pickering, who was able to buy it, forestalling Mr Arthur Smithson and Mr Frank Selby, who would have been interested.

Mr Pickering modernised the house and erected buildings nearby for his milk lorries. He later moved from the house into a bungalow he built next door. He bought several nearby closes and when Richard Selby sold his land he bought a cottage on Bar Road North and part of one of the Croft House paddocks and most of the Croft House Farm buildings. The cottage was once a “Dames School” and was bought, with vacant possession, for £5,000. The buildings made £10,000.

Another of Mr Pickering’s purchases was Hall Close, no 31 on the Enclosure Map, the acreage being12.449. This, for many years, from the second half of the nineteenth century, had been part of the Meynell Estate, the mansion house being Croft House, then called The Hall. The estate was sold in 1779 to Messrs Flint and Cross, although the Church “Rental Records” give it as belonging to James Gamson with Flint shown in brackets. Hall Close was offered for sale by auction in 1828 along with other land by Mr Gervase Gamson, the owner occupier at that date. Hall Close was later in the possession of Mr Jack Surfleet whose executors sold it on 28/03/1972 at auction. It was then Ordnance Survey pt 254 of 12.449 acres. It was bought by Hayes Son and Richmond on behalf of Mr H T Pickering for £5,999.

At one time Mr Pickering kept the Rotherleigh Herd of pedigree Jersey cows and retailed milk. This was discontinued and in later years he had a commercial herd of deer. The milk collection and delivery business ceased when the Milk Marketing Board finished and the new Milk Marque did not renew his contract.

Mr Pickering tells the story of a Beckingham farmer, Richard Selby, who in winter kept his binder canvases in the house attic to keep them safe from damp and vermin. This farmer was also in the habit of rolling up banknotes in the canvases as he thought no thief would think of looking there. Mr Pickering intended to buy the binder canvases at the farm sale, but arrived too late so he never knew if there was a hoard of notes secreted therein.

Mr and Mrs Pickering moved to the Rotunda in 1995. Mr Pickering died on 12/08/1997. His herd of deer was also sold, also the depot buildings. Later the Farm House and Depot site were put up for auction and sold by Drewery and Wheeldon on 11/03/1998. The depot site had planning permission for five houses and this are together with the farmhouse was bought by Mr R Heaton, who has since between 1998 and 2001, built five houses.

SOUTH FIELD CLOSE, Enclosure no 54 in 1777

1736 This appears to have belonged to Roystons. It was no 79 and 3a 1r 07p.

1777It belonged to Mary Royston, no 54, 3a 2r 18p. (She also owned the Homestead and Close numbers 59 and 60 which adjoined the above mentioned homestead.

C1779 Thomas Waterhouse had become the owner. The property descended through the family to his granddaughter Mrs Meggitt. Ann Cliff was the tenant.

George Wells probably became tenant, after Ann Cliff, of both properties.

These two properties must at some time have been bought by George Wells. On the death of his widow his trustee Mr Thom sold them, along with another close, to Henry Rose Esquire. See the deeds of these properties.

SOUTH FIELD CLOSE, Enclosure No 55, in 1777

1736 This was no 78 on the map and of 2a 3r 00p. Ownership not given.

1777 Thomas Waterhouse owned it, no 55 2a 3r 13p.

1779 as above.

This close appears to have been part of Rev Hompesch Massingberds share of the Waterhouse estate.

1853 he sold it to Richard Hodgson.

1857 Richard Hodgson of Sheffield sold it to Charles Cliffe of Gamston for £290.0.0. Acreage 2a 3r 25p. This seems expensive.

This close also seems to have been bought by George Wells and on the death of his widow was sold to Henry Rose, along with the Homestead no 58, and another South Field Close no 54. £1,365 was paid for the three properties, 01/12/1913.

There is no known connection between the above mentioned Charles Cliffe of Gamston and Ann Cliffe of Beckingham. The Mr Rogers who according to the 1866 Tithe Records, owned land let to George Wells, was not necessarily connected with the Rogers who were tenants of Mr Rose.

ROTHERLEIGH, STATION ROAD CORNER.

MR H T PICKERING’S DAIRY FARM

1831 Census

Ann Cliff, 3 females

1841 Census

Anne Cliffe 60 Farmer
Joseph Cliffe 30
George Curtis 2
Charlotte Cooper 15 Farm Servant

1851 Census Beckingham Schedule 100

Elizabeth Newbold Head Widow 43 Widow of Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Eliza Newbold Dau 11 Scholar Beckingham
Francis Newbold Son 7 Scholar Beckingham
Elizabeth Newbold Dau 10 Scholar Morton Carr, Lincolnshire
Mary Newbold Niece M 26 Baker’s Wife Nottingham
M Newbold Nephew 5 Baker’s Son Gainsborough

1861 Census Low Street 1 uninhabited between schedules 14 and 15

(George Wells the next occupier was at this time a Cordwainer and Local Methodist Preacher living with his parents Thomas and Amelia on Bar Road).

1871 Census Station Road Schedule 111

George Wells Head M 35 Coal and Lime Merchant Beckingham
Mary Jane Wells Wife M 34 Grasby, Lincolnshire
Julia Sarah Wells Dau 7 Scholar Beckingham
Annie Maud Dau 4 Beckingham
Bertha Wells Dau 2 Beckingham
Eliza Ann Wells Dau 5 months Beckingham

1881 Census Station Road Schedule 96 Farming 13 acres of land

George Wells Head M 45 Coal and Cake Merchant Beckingham
Mary J Wells Wife M 44 Grasby, Lincolnshire
Julia S Wells Dau Unm 17 Beckingham
Annie M Wells Dau 14 Assistant to Teacher Beckingham
Bertha Wells Dau 12 Scholar Beckingham
Eliza A Wells Dau 10 Scholar Beckingham
Mary E Wells Dau 5 Scholar Beckingham
Emily J Wells Dau 4 Scholar Beckingham

1891 Census Beckingham Schedule 11

George Wells Head M 55 Coal and Cake Merchant Beckingham
Bertha Wells Dau S 22 Dressmaker Beckingham
Eliza A Wells Dau S 20 School Teacher Beckingham
Mary E Wells Dau 15 Beckingham
Emily J Wells Dau 14 Scholar Beckingham
Alice B Hopkins Visitor Widow 71 Living on her own means Gainsborough

(In 1871 Alice Hopkin was Housekeeper, Widow 51 at Beckingham Hall, now called Croft House).

Census Returns Continued

1901 Schedule 18 Station Road

George Wells Head M 65 Cole, Cake and Tillage Own account Beckingham
Mary J Wells Wife M 64 Grasby
Mary E Wells Dau S 25 Beckingham
Emily J Wells Dau S 24 Beckingham

THE ROTUNDA AND CROFT HOUSE FARM BUILDINGS

In 1944 Mr Pickering began altering these farm buildings, purchased in 1973, to make them suitable for housing his collection of horse-drawn vehicles, farm machinery etc. The wooden Dutch barn near the road was demolished to make way for the proposed circular bungalow. The open fronted cartshed in the South East corner of the site fell down in late 1994. The old buildings had been roofed in French and Belgian slates. The date when they were erected is not known, but they were probably built in the second half of the nineteenth century when Croft House was owned by the Duckle family.

In 1995 the new bungalow called The Rotunda was complete and Mr and Mrs Pickering moved there from their other bungalow. Two roadside building plots were sold and houses built thereon which fill the gap between The Rotunda and the existing bungalows on this part of Station Road now renamed as part of Low Street.

Mr Pickering died on 12/08/1997.

The herd of deer were sold, and also the depot buildings. In March 1998 Drewery and Wheeldon auctioned the farmhouse and five building plots. The plots were on the cleared site of the depot and they, together with the house, were bought by Mr R Heaton, who has between then and 2001, built houses on the five plots.

INDENTURE MADE 01/12/1913

Conveyance of a Dwelling House and Three Closes of Land

Will 26 November 1907

William Thom of Normanby by Spital, grocer, executor of will of George Wells who died 12/10/1912. Income to widow of George Wells who died 20/10/1913.

Enclosure no 58 1

Property sold by the trust to Henry Rose for £1,365 4a 1r 31p West and South by Station Road, North and East not stated. Together with house and buildings on South West corner of above land late in occupation of George Wells.

No 54 2

Also South Field Close 3a 2r 18p on north by hereditaments to on west by Gainsborough Road on South by Mrs Bingleys property East by South Field Lane now in occupation of John Atkinson Anyan.

No 55 3

Thirdly pasture land of 3 acres east by South Field Lane west by Gainsborough Road, north by property of Mr Watson south by Mr Anyan, and in occupation of Mr Anyan.

Mr George Wm Thom to Henry Rose Esquire.

Indenture Made 04/06/1857

Between Richard Hodgson of Sheffield
Charles Cliffe of Gamston, farmer
Thomas Hugh Oldham of Gainsborough

Refers to an earlier agreement of 12/11/1853
Between Rev Hompesch Massingberd
Richard Hodgson
John Cairns

Also mentioned is an agreement
Between Ann Stephenson
Joseph Stephenson
William Barnard
Rev H Massingberd
John Cairns

(Land no 55 on Enclosure Map 2a 3r 13p)
All that Close of Meadow or Pasture, South Field Close, 2a 3r 25p.
South Field Lane to east, Turnpike Road to Gainsborough west, Mr Watson to the north, land of Eadales Trustees, south.

Signed by Cliffe and Hodgson.

IMAGE16A/25 Deeds of Land at Beckingham, South Field Close Enclosure No 55

IMAGE16A/26

IMAGE16A/27

Deeds of Homestead and two closes at Beckingham

Mr T Pickering’s Land in 1994

Enclosure numbers 58 Homestead 4a 1r 31p
54 South Field Close 3a 2r 18p
55 South Field Close 3 acres or thereabouts

IMAGE16A/28 Indenture

IMAGE16A/29 Indenture

IMAGE16A/30 Indenture

IMAGE16A/31 Indenture

Deeds of 1 Homestead, 2 A South Field Close, 3 A South Field Close at Beckingham
Enclosure numbers 58, 54 and 55 respectively.

IMAGE16A/32 Abstract of the Title Mr William Henry Rose

IMAGE16A/33 Abstract of the Title Mr William Henry Rose

IMAGE16A/34 Deeds of South Field Close, Beckingham Enclosure No 55

IMAGE16A/35 Deeds of South Field Close, Beckingham Enclosure No 55

IMAGE16A/36 Deeds of South Field Close, Beckingham Enclosure No 55

IMAGE16A/37 Deeds of South Field Close, Beckingham Enclosure No 55

IMAGE16A/38 Deeds of South Field Close, Beckingham Enclosure NO 55

IMAGE16A/39 Deeds of South Field Close, Beckingham Enclosure No 55

IMAGE16A/40 Deeds of South Field Close, Beckingham Enclosure No 55

IMAGE16A/41 Deeds of South Field Close, Beckingham Enclosure No 55

IMAGE16A/42 All Saints Parish Church, Beckingham 20/08/1997

IMAGE16A/43 All Saints Parish Church, Beckingham 20/08/1997

IMAGE16A/44 Drewery and Wheeldon Station Road, Beckingham

IMAGE16A/45 Developed 03/1993 Neg 7. Mr T Pickering’s Croft House Farm buildings. North East corner of crewyard showing cattle sheds with granary over and barn. This part of the yard was once covered. The barn was probably not built for threshing.

IMAGE16A/46 Developed 03/1993 Neg 9 Mr T Pickering’s farm buildings that once belonged to Croft House Farm. Croft House, seen in the background, is not now a farmhouse. Some of the buildings on the south side.

IMAGE16A/47 Planning Applications 25/02/1994

IMAGE16A/48 Developed 03/1993 Neg 4. Mr Tim Pickering’s Croft House farm buildings off Low Street, Beckingham. Barn and granary viewed from north east. The barn does not have the usual ventilator holes.

IMAGE16A/49 Developed 02/1994 Neg 23. Mr T Pickering’s Croft House farm buildings off Low Street, Beckingham. Interior of the barn viewed form east doorway when partially demolished.

IMAGE16A/50 Developed 09/1996 Neg 18A. North wing of Croft House farm buildings adapted for museum by Mr T Pickering. 18/09/1996

IMAGE16A/51 Developed 09/1996 Neg 19A. Massey Harris binder to Mr T Pickering’s Museum in adapted Croft House farm buildings. 18/09/1996

IMAGE16A/52 Neg 20 South wing of converted farm buildings off Station Road. Formerly belonging to Croft House Farm, now Mr Pickering’s 06/1994.

IMAGE16A/53 Neg 18 Foundations of Mr Pickering’s Bungalow, Low Street, Beckingham 06/1994.

IMAGE16A/54 Neg 3 Mr Pickering’s Bungalow 07/1994.

IMAGE16A/55 Start of construction of walls.

IMAGE16A/56 Neg 23 Mr Pickering’s bungalow 18/08/1994. Croft House in the background.

IMAGE16A/57 Neg 2A Bungalow nearly completed 12/1994.

IMAGE16A/58 Developed 09/1996 Neg 10A Mr and Mrs Pickering’s Round House, Low Street, formerly Station Road, Beckingham 18/09/1996.

IMAGE16A/59 Developed 09/1996 Neg 21A Round House viewed from West 18/09/1996.

CROFT HOUSE FARMSTEAD

When owned by the Meynell family this was the mansion house of Beckingham Estate, but in c1822 it had been purchased by Mrs Wailey along with 5 acres of land in which it stood, and South Field Close of 5a 0r 29p. The house was probably then known as The Hall. The 1777 map shows some buildings but these were probably stables and coach house. Sold to Robert Duckle Esquire in 1836.

Some time later owner must have purchased farm land and built the extensive range of farm buildings. These buildings from a rectangle around a yard with access from the south east corner which is rather strange as the land associated with the farmstead was on the west side beyond the house. The buildings appear in the main to be one storey animal sheds. They are of brick with French and Belgian slate roofs with blue brick ridge tiles. The barn is of similar construction but is now partly roofed with asbestos. It was probably constructed when threshing barns were becoming obsolete. There are no ventilator holes in the walls, but the doors have originally been of the traditional type on the east side. There is an opposing door on the west side but this is a single door probably meant as access to the yard when feeding animals. Both ends of the barn have wooden lofts and the barn forms an L shaped building with another part of similar size on the north side of the yard which has a granary over open fronted sheds facing into the yard. The floor of the barn appears to have been raised so the original type of flooring used is not known. The stone blocks on which the big doors pivoted are partly buried and it is not possible to tell if there were slots for a threshold board. It was probably built as a feed barn, but kept the traditional threshing barn style.

IMAGE16A/60 Threshing Barn diagram

The bricks are 3″ thick. 10 courses of brickwork is 2′ 9 1/4″
The barn is 60 courses high. The height to the eaves is approximately 16 1/2 feet. English garden bond. The buildings now belong to Mr H T Pickering’s Dairy Farm. PJM 15/03/1993

The buildings were photographed and measured by The Retford Historical and Archaeological Society in 02/1994.

IMAGE16A/61 Developed 09/1996 Neg 16A Developed 09/1996 Neg 16A Mr T Pickering’s Round House, Low Street, previously Station Road. Looking up to the roof of the rotunda. 18/09/1996

IMAGE16A/62 Developed 09/1996 Neg 17A Circular central hall of Mr T Pickering’s Round House, Beckingham 18/09/1996.

IMAGE16A/63 Beckingham and Saundby Coronation Funds

IMAGE16A/64 Beckingham and Saundby Coronation Funds

IMAGE16A/65 Beckingham Ladies Hockey 1949-1950

Back Row left to right

Pam Large, Molly Lockwood, Joan Meredith, Barbara Ellis, Pauline Hoyle, Betty Pilkington

Front Row Left to right

Pam Levick, Angela Heppenstall, Mary Maden, Pam Smith, Margaret Broxholme

IMAGE16A/66 Beckingham Ladies Hockey

Back row Left to right

Betty Pilkington, ?, Molly Lockwood, Margaret Trafford, Angela Heppenstall, Joan Meredith

Front row Left to right

Pam Levick, Barbara Ellis, Pauline Hoyle, Mary Maden, Margaret Broxholme

IMAGE16A/67 Copied 11/1986. Opening Day of Beckingham Village Hall in 1948. Miss Nora Watson speaking.

IMAGE16A/68 Copied 03/1997 from Mrs Freda Proudley’s photograph Neg 18. The opening of the Village Hall and Playing Field 1948.

IMAGE16A/69 Women’s Institute at the Village Hall Christmas Circa 1948.

Left to right

Mesdames Herbert Gill, Maud Adams, Beardsworth, Whitlam, Smithson, Williamson, Mitchell, Mr A Smithson, Mrs Alice Proudley, Mrs Frank Levick, Miss Mabel Gosling, Mrs Irene Jervis and Mrs Esme Ranby.

IMAGE16A/70 Beckingham Women’s Institute 1949

IMAGE16A/71 Beckingham Church Sunday School (1949/1951)

IMAGE16A/72 Beckingham Women’s Institute 1949
Supplied by Alan Gosling. Supplement to master photograph. Key to Sunday School photograph is in Church File.

THE HISTORY OF BECKINGHAM VILLAGE HALL AND PLAYING FIELD

This begins in 1944 when the Football Club was being formed. The only other club at this time was the Cricket Club. The two other clubs thought that it was time that the village had a proper sports ground and not have to ask local farmers for the use of a field.

A village meeting was called to rally support and this was well attended. From the meeting the Watson Family donated a ten acre field which is now the playing field and many people promised to help raise funds for equipment.

The Wallhead brothers made a detailed plan of the layout for tennis courts, a bowling green, a play park for children, football, cricket and hockey pitches.

During the next three years things on the field began to take shape under a working committee headed by Miss Nora Watson. Equipment was installed and paid for with money raised from various events. During 1947 the working committee decided that a Village Hall was needed to complete the project. Miss Watson visited County Hall, Nottingham to see the council people who dealt with village halls. Her visit was successful.

The Rural Council allocated a village hall to Beckingham and this was delivered in 09/1949. The hall was erected, water, electric and sewerage were connected up by 06 1948.

The official opening of the Hall and Playing Field was set for the first week of 09/1948. Mr Howden, the Managing Director of Newell’s Engineering was asked to perform the ceremony.

The formation of the tennis, bowls and hockey clubs now took place. The first committee of Management was elected comprising representatives from 16 village clubs and organisations and 8 Trustees under the Chairmanship of Mr Lesley Selbey and was registered as a Charity.

A caretaker/groundsman was employed at a weekly wage of 30 shillings per week all the rest of the people were volunteers.

During the next few years the dressing rooms were added, paid for by the Football and Cricket Clubs. During 1978 the hall was extended towards the tennis courts and in 1980 the Hall was further extended towards the bowling green, the kitchen was also extended and the car park enlarged.

All the work done on the playing field is voluntary the Clubs being self supporting and paying rents for the Courts, Greens and Pitches.

IMAGE16A/73 Beckingham cum Saundby Parish Council Newsletter

IMAGE16A/74 Beckingham cum Saundby Parish Council Newsletter

IMAGE16A/75 Beckingham and Saundby Community Information

IMAGE16A/76 Beckingham and Saundby Community Information

IMAGE16A/77 Beckingham and Saundby Community Information

IMAGE16A/78 Beckingham and Saundby Community Information

IMAGE16A/79 Beckingham cum Saundby Village Hall Newsletter

IMAGE16A/80 Beckingham cum Saundby Village Hall Newsletter

IMAGE16A/81 North Nottinghamshire Villages want a Community Centre. Retford Times 09/02/1945 From Mrs Edlington

IMAGE16A/82 The Gainsborough News 1948 Beckingham Playing Field From Mrs Edlington

IMAGE16A/83 Retford Times 1948 From Mrs Edlington

IMAGE16A/84 Gainsborough News 23/07/1948 From Mrs Edlington
IMAGE16A/85 Gainsborough News 09/09/194?

IMAGE16A/86 Evening News 25/09/1973 P 8

IMAGE16A/87 Drewery and Wheeldon Green Cottage, Station Road, Beckingham

IMAGE16A/88 Beckingham By-pass Newspaper article

IMAGE16A/89 Beckingham Newspaper article

IMAGE16A/90 Evening News 25/09/1973 Beckingham By-pass