Title Image

File 17 – Work in progress!

Peter Mason File 17

Bar Road

IMAGE 17-01

IMAGE 17-02

IMAGE 17-03

IMAGE 17-04 Gainsborough Standard 29/04/94

19/12/00

Dear Mr Humphreys

History of Beckingham Post Office

Mrs Barbara Martin of High Street has provided this following information;-

Mr Elsham retired from the Low Street Post Office in 1973.

Mrs Marlene Baker continued in on room for 10 years.

The Post Office house was sold and the Post Office moved to Walkeringham Road in Mrs Bakers council house, 1983.

Mrs Baker re-married becoming Mrs Michael Proudley, continuing as Sub Post Master on Walkeringham Road

Mrs Proudley finished as Sub Post Master and a temporary was provided someone from Marton Post Office, Lincolnshire, in the village Recreation Room for two days per week.

Mrs Martin had recently bought the then Mini Market business from Miss Audrey Rogers, The Parish Council who owned the property, agreed to build an annex to the shop and this became the Post office as at present. Mrs Morfin became Sub Post Master in 1987 and sold it in October 1988 to Mrs Kath Newbert.

When Mrs Newbert lost the Post Office in ? it was run for several months by a Post Office employee, probably from Doncaster until the shop and Post Office was taken over by Peter Roberts.

The dates underlined were supplied by Mrs Elsham. The exact dates of the two interregnums elude me. PJM

A copy of Beckingham entries is promised.

PS
Gringley Post Office run by Hills at The Beeches then by another family of Hills at High Street shop. Then by Mr & Mrs Marshall. Mrs Marshall was the daughter of second Mrs Hill. I do not know dates. PJM

35, Lambourne Drive
Wollaton
Nottingham
NG8 1 GR
Tel. 0115 9280419

Dear Mr Mason

History of Beckingham Post Office

Thank you for copy photographs and newspaper cuttings you recently forwarded concerning, Beckingham, Gringley on the Hill and Misterton Post Offices. The information will be of considerable help with my research of these village Post Offices.
I have completed a fairly comprehensive research on Beckingham Post Office from 1853-1989 but would like your assistance to finalise the period 1989-2000.
Post Office Locations
What year did the office move Low Street to 7 Walkeringham Road?
What year did the office move from 7 Walkeringham Road to its present location?
Sub Post Masters/Mistresses
I am confident that Laura Gertrude Elsham was Sub Post Mistress 1948-1983.
I believe she was followed by Marlene Baker (Later Marlene Proudley). Which years was she Sub Post Mistress?
Barbara A Morfin was the Sub Post Mistress was she the first Sub Post Mistress at the present Post Office location and which years did she hold the office?
Kathleen Newbert was the next Sub Post Mistress from 1985-1999 are these dates correct?
Peter Roberts present Sub Post Master July 1999-2000.

Thank you for offering to help. I will forward you my completed research on Beckingham Post Office when it is complete (likely Spring 2001).

Best wishes to you and your wife.

Sincerely
Dennis Humphreys

POST OFFICE

4th October 1985 Report in Gainsborough Paper – Audrey Rogers retires from Mini Market. Sold to Mrs Barbara Morfin. No mention of Post Office.

6th May 1993 Report in Retford Times of robbery at Post Office. Mrs Kathy Newbert was Sub Post Mistress.

Circa 1987 Mrs Barbara Morfin was Sub Post Mistress.

Mr Horberry (TC) Sub Post Master. No Recollection

1987 Recreation Room, Post Master from Morton

Sold October 1988

After Mrs Elsham on Low Street
Mrs Marlene Baker on Low Street
Mrs Marlene Baker on 7 Walkeringham Road
Mrs Marlene Proudley on 7 Walkeringham Road
Man from Post Office at Marton two days a week in Recreation Room
Mrs Barbara Morfin who ran the Mini Market applied for Post Office and Parish Council who owned the shop built annex for Post Office which started in 1987 run by Mrs Morfin. She sold the business to Mrs Kath Newbert. When she lost the Post Office it was run for several months by a Post Office employee, probably from Doncaster until taken over by Peter Roberts who bought the shop business.

IMAGE 17-05 Copied and developed June 1993. Negative 22
Blacksmith’s shop on the Green in Beckingham. Date unknown. Note the flat iron ring used when wooden wheels were being hoped; situated on the ground in front of the two women.

Negative 5a
Wharton’s Joiners Shop on the same site as the above. August 1993.

IMAGE 17-06 Bar Road North looking south. June 1994. Negative 14

IMAGE 17-07 The Green. June 1987 Showing back of Joiner’s house.
Developed December 1995. Negative 11a
Mr Wharton, joiner and his house on the Green in October 1995.

IMAGE 17-08 Extract from the Day Book of Mr John Abraham Holmes, Blacksmith.
Extract from Day Book now owned by H. Mell, Beckingham.

HOUSE AND BLACKSMITH’S SHOP adjoining The Green and High Street

The maps do not show buildings on this site in either 1736 or 1777. The house was probably built in circa 1820.

1832 White’s Directory gives Mary Jubb, blacksmith.
See Jubb Family below.

1838 Minutes of Vestry Meeting, Town’s Book.
“Sir Joseph Rudsdell proposed, seconded by Mr Gamson that the Blacksmith’s shop and other property on The Green be sold.”

1866 Tithe book: Owner Mr Duckle, tenant Richard Ireland.

1885 The Ordnance Survey map shows a pump in front of the house.

JUBB FAMILY

Robert Jubb of Treswell married Elizabeth Thompson of Beckingham 6th September 1769. He was buried 6th September 1812 and she on 26 February 1811. The business was probably continued by William Jubb, perhaps he was Robert’s brother, and then by William’s son John, who was born 14 December 1796. John married Mary Cliff and they had two daughters, Ann and Emma. John was buried 11th May 1830. His widow Mary married Richard Ireland 23rd April 1836. He was buried 31st August 1882 in his 74th year. William Jubb aged 70 was living at the blacksmith’s house at the other end of High Street in 1841. Census returns 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1881 show Ann and Emma Jubb as daughters in law, but they would now be called step daughters.

After the death of the Jubbs and Irelands, the business was taken over by John Abraham Holmes. See 1891 census.
1912 Kelly’s: John Abraham Holmes, blacksmith and shoeing smith.

In 1932 the blacksmith was Arthur Lee Holmes.

Holmes was followed by Walter Denton who once had a shop at Gringley. He had the smithy but lived in Woods Lane.

The photocopied pages that follow are from Holmes Day Book, now in the possession of Chris Mell.

On the old photograph of the smith’s shop is faintly shown, in front of the two women, the flat iron ring on which wooden cart wheels would be fitted with hoops.

BLACKSMITHS HOUSE, THE GREEN OR HIGH STREET

Census Returns
1831

1841 Trent Port
Richard Ireland 30 Blacksmith
Mary Ireland 40
Mary Jubb 14
Emma Jubb 13
Richard Ireland 12 Apprentice

1851 Beckingham, Schedule 23
Richard Ireland Head Married 41 Blacksmith, Master (1 app) South Dalton, Yorkshire
Mary Ireland Wife Married 54 North Leverton
Emma Jubb Daughter in Law 22 House Assistant Beckingham
Thomas Lilley Apprentice Unmarried 17 Blacksmith Sheffield
? Hall Visitor Married 35 Wife of a Groom Beckingham

1861 Schedule 103, Beckingham
Richard Ireland Head Married 52 Blacksmith, Master Holme, Yorkshire
Mary Ireland Wife Married 64 North Leverton
Ann Jubb Daughter in Law 38 House Servant Beckingham
John C Berry Apprentice Unmarried 20 Blacksmith (apprentice) Doncaster
Joseph Schofield Apprentice Unmarried 17 Blacksmith (apprentice) Gringley

1871 Schedule 35, Green, Beckingham
Richard Ireland Head Married 62 Blacksmith & Coal merchant Holme on the Wold
Mary Ireland Wife Married 73 Leverton
Ann Jubb Daughter in Law Unmarried 47 Blacksmith’s Daughter Beckingham
Thomas Hopkin Apprentice Unmarried 18 Blacksmith (apprentice) Hayton

1881 Schedule 78, High Street
Richard Ireland Head Widower 72 Retired Blacksmith Holme
Ann Jubb Daughter in Law Unmarried 58 Beckingham

(MI Ann Jubb died 15th October 1887 aged 64
MI Richard Ireland died 31st August 1882 aged 74 ) see churchyard

1891 Schedule 93, High Street
John A L Holmes Head Married Blacksmith (employer) Graiselound
Sarah A Holme Wife Married 30 Heckcylke
Harriet A Holme Daughter 10 Scholar Graiselound
Alice Holme Daughter 8 Scholar Beckingham
Arthur Holme Son 6 Scholar Beckingham
Walter Holme Son 5 Scholar Beckingham
Ella Holme Daughter 2 Beckingham
Ethel M Holme Daughter 8 months Beckingham
John C Chambers Apprentice Single 18 Blacksmiths Apprentice Bole
(Ethel M Holmes married Fred Bell; and Violet married Ted Aldam of Misterton)

1901 Schedule 104, High Street
Abraham Holmes Head Married 41 Blacksmith Own acc. Haxey
Sarah Holmes Wife Married 39 Heckdyke
Harriet A Holmes Daughter Single 20 Haxey
Alice Holmes Daughter Single 18 Beckingham
Arthur Holmes Son Single 17 Blacksmith Worker Beckingham
Walter Holmes Son Single 14 Beckingham
Ethel Holmes Daughter 10 Beckingham
Hilda M Holmes Daughter 5 Beckingham
John W Birkenshaw Boarder Single 19 Blacksmith Worker Sprotborough
Annie M Gagg Visitor Single 18 Misterton

IMAGE 17-09 Extract from the Day Book of Mr John Abraham Holmes, Blacksmith

IMAGE 17-20 Extract from the Day Book of Mr John Abraham Holmes, Blacksmith

BLACKSMITH’S SHOP

Denton lived on Wood Lane
Twidale followed Denton as Blacksmith – Information from Mrs Eric Atkinson 26/02/02

Rodney Spittlehouse said to be nephew of Twidale.

From Day Book of Holmes, Blacksmith of Beckingham
In 1995 the book will be owned by Chris Mell.

IMAGE 17-21

RECREATION ROOM

A picture in the possession of W. Smithson painted by Karl Wood shows this building as a Primitive Methodist Chapel and the date over the door 1836, but there is the possibility that the building had another use before then.

Cedric Colver tells me that when there was a Misterton Rural District Council it was run from this building at one time by a Mr Strawson and after that by Percy Gent. Mr Brewitt was the rate collector followed by his daughter Doreen.

It is built in front of the site of the pinfold or pound, but is not depicted on the 1777 map, although the pinfold is shown.

Neither Pinfold nor Chapel site are given a number on the 1777 Enclosure Map, but they are both on what was once part of The Green which was parish property.

There were still Primitive Methodists in Beckingham in 1908. See Kelly’s Directory. The old date stone of 1836 is now, in 1995, at the Wesleyan Chapel. (replaced in December 2004)

The newspaper article of 1983 says that this building was erected in 1841 as a ‘free Prayer chapel’. But the date stone that was once attached to the front of the building had the date 1836.

A stone approximately 12” by 9” inscribed ‘G Hill October 29th 1892’ was collected from near the Recreation Room by Ray Simpson and is now built into a wall near The Mill House. George Hill was a cottager living on Croft House Lane from about 1850 to about 1910. It is possible that this was a foundation stone to some extension of the building, perhaps the road-side wall. Did George Hill senior provide the bricks and George his son, a bricklayer, build it?

The indications are that John Cook of Southfield Cottage, Croft House Lane, off Bar Road, who was a Wesleyan Methodist, was followed at that cottage by George Hill who was a Primitive Methodist.

There is a another largish stone in the rockery at Fair View (adjoining Gill Lane) marked Primitive Methodist Chapel 1858. The stone is said to be approximately 3’ x 2’ with a hole in the middle. The size is probably overestimated. It is now cracked cleanly across and through the hole.

PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL

Extracts from news cuttings circa 1900

A bazaar was held at the Primitive Methodist Church on Wednesday in aid of funds for a new organ. At the opening ceremony, Mr D Hill, of Gringley and Mr Smithson of Morton gave addresses. The following were holders of stalls;- Mrs Woodiviss, Miss Curtis, Mrs Gurnhill,, Miss Woodiviss, Miss Yates, Mrs Yates, Miss Hill, Miss Blow, Mr Banwell, Mr Robinson and Miss Gutteridge.

The Board School children gave a concert. Mr and Mrs Arthur were congratulated on the manner in which the children acquitted themselves.

IMAGE 17-21

IMAGE 17-22

IMAGE 17-23 Developed September 1993 Negative 28 A
Village shop and Post Office on the Green 1993

Negative 12
Village Green, shop and Post Office. The telephone box appears to have been vandalised. June 1994.

SHOP ON THE GREEN

This is said to have been used as a reading room until the Village Institute was built in 1908. For many years it has been a grocery shop and since circa 1990 has had a Post Office in the newly built annex. It once had to compete with Boyd’s Shop at the Institute corner and with the Co-operative stores at the south end of Gill Lane. Now that these latter two shops have closed the competition is with the Gainsborough supermarkets.

It appears to have had several uses in the past. There are indications, ie bricked up windows that it was once of two storeys possibly a house. And it is said that at one time it was used as a schoolroom. On the roadside are two blocked up doorways, one at each end and two blocked up windows near the eaves and placed more centrally, giving the impression that the building may once have been two almshouses.

The PC Terrier of 1915 describes the Reading Room on The Green, let to the Reading Room Committee for 1/- yearly, as being previously an Old Poor House erected previous to 1835. See Balance sheet and Report over the page, dated 1890.
George Ward was the Treasurer, lived at School House, High Street.
F Bourne, Secretary lived at Aylestone Cottage, Low Street.
John Byron, Auditor lived at Ivy House, Low Street.
Charles Nettleship, Auditor, lived at Shop on High Street, near Gill Lane.

IMAGE 17-24

IMAGE 17-25

IMAGE 17-26 Retford Times 6th May 1993

IMAGE 17-27

IMAGE 17-28

IMAGE 17-29

IMAGE 17-30

IMAGE 17-31

IMAGE 17-32

IMAGE 17-33

IMAGE 17-34

IMAGE 17-35

IMAGE 17-36

IMAGE 17-37

IMAGE 17-38

IMAGE 17-39 Gill Lane. Church Street to The Green. May 1994. Negative 13, 14, & 15

IMAGE 17-40 Gill Lane. Churchyard kissing gate, looking southwards along the lane.
May 1994. Developed May 1994. Negative 14

Gill Lane. Looking south, with wall of now demolished Church Farm barn on the right. May 1994. Developed May 1994. Negative 15.

IMAGE 17-41 John Bee and Ralph painting railings around The Green. Copied September 1985.
Houses on The Green. September 1993.

FAIRVIEW, THE GREEN

Appears to have been built in the 1930’s Ray Gosling says it was built by Tommy Carpendal aided by Alan Bee and Aubrey Cooper.

It was occupied in the 1940’s by a Mr Green in whose garden was a large wooden hut that was used by the Home Guard (Beckingham Platoon) and was known as ‘Greens Hut’.

In 2001 I was told that in the rockery of the garden here is a stone of perhaps 3’ x 2’ with a hold in the middle, marked ‘Primitive Methodist Chapel 1858’.

‘Butcher’ Needham of Gringley retired to this house after World War II.

IMAGE 17-42 Mr Dick Smiths bungalow opposite The Green, circa 1930.
Copied 1985. Negative 26

West side of Pinfold, built into side of house behind Recreation Room. Summer 1992. Developed November 1992. Negative 7.

IMAGE 17-43 Primitive Methodist Chapel of 1836 from Karl Wood picture.
Copied March 1994. Negative 4

Date stone 1836 from Old Primitive Methodist Chapel now The Recreation Room. Stone is now at rear of Wesleyan Chapel.

BUNGALOW OPPOSITE THE GREEN

The photograph is of Dick Smith’s bungalow but not of Dick Smith.
Doug Adams says the man was Mr Willoughton who lived in a bungalow and kept the fish and chip shop before Hattersley.

GILL LANE, BECKINGHAM

This lane appears to be very ancient and gives access from The Green to the Church and Church Street. It was crossed by another footpath running from The Limes to Low Street, which has had diversions made to it when The Crescent and Limes Estate were built. Despite being called Gill Lane it is only a footpath and access is limited by kissing gates.

John Hall in his will of 15th April 1610 said:-
“I give and bequeath unto the mendinge of the gill lane six shillings and eight pence.” This was one mark.

John Francis in his letter of 13th May 1613 to the authorities at Southwell Minster complains as follows:-

“We have a lane that is a common foote waye to the church for most parts of our towne, since he “(William Hales)” hath been churchwarden it hath lyen open for beasts and swine to passé that waye so that in winter a man cannot well get to the church without boots. John Hall late deceased bequeathed 6s.8p for the repayringe of that lane, and ye said William Hales hath either been negligent in demanding that legacye or else he keepeth it to his own use, without bestowing it according to the testator his will.”

GILL LANE

Beckingham seems to centre around The Green and what was known as Top Street. Most of the tradesmen were located here, also shops and the Hare and Hounds Public House. The original Hall was at this end of the village and now known as Croft House. The church is at the northern end of the village so Gill Lane, and its side paths, has always been a convenient way of getting around, especially before days of mud free roads.

In his will of 1610, John Hall of Beckingham bequeathed “unto the mendinge of the gill lane six shilling eight pence”. This seems to have been a single payment and not meant to be paid annually. In 1613 John Francis wrote to the church at Southwell saying amongst other matters as follows;-
“We have a lane that is a common foote waye to the church for most parts of our towne since he hath been churchwarden it hath lyen open for beasts and swine to passé that waye, so that in winter a man cannot well get to the church without boots. John Hall late deceased bequeathed 6/8 for the repayringe of that lane, and ye said William Hales hath either been negligent in demanding that legacye or else he keepeth it to his own use, without bestowing it accordingly to the testator his will.”

The barn of the Glebe Farm was near the south east corner of the churchyard and was built adjacent to and parallel with Gill Lane. This seems rather strange, for when it was used as a threshing barn with the prevailing winds from the west, the straw and chaff would blow onto Gill Lane. Many threshing barns, not in Beckingham did open onto village streets.

THE GREEN
Se also Almshouses, Pinfold, Primitive Chapel, Recreation Room

In 1777 this was bounded on north and west by village streets, on the east by plot 108 and south by plot 112. No acreage is given but it appears to cover about one acre.
No buildings are shown but a square enclosure on the east side was probably the pinfold.
This indicates that The Recreation Room, the pair of houses, the present (1992) shop and post office, and the Hare and Hounds, the joiners shop (Wharton’s, previously Holmes blacksmiths) have all been built since 1777.
One of the Mr Watson’s once proposed that homes for the elderly should be built on The Green but this did not materialise.
The Recreation Rom was once a Primitive Methodist Chapel, see Karl Woods picture. I seem to remember that the building was given to the village by Miss Watson circa 1980.

The shop and Post Office of 1992 was once I have heard, a village library Reading room before The Institute was built. Before that a poor house, perhaps two dwellings.

In 1992 an electrical installation was built in roughly the centre of the pinfold. The west wall of the pinfold can be seen in the east wall of the pair of houses.

Greenwood Cottage on Station Road, standing to the east of The Green was probably the home of the Gurnhills. One is mentioned in the school log. In the sixties it was occupied by William H Pickering and in 1992 by The Keeble family (Martin Keeble). There is a large letter B on the beam in the old part of the cottage and on the same beam near the fireplace is a number, very small, which looks like 1704. The beams and joists are of oak, they do not appear to have been re-used timbers and they support a gypsum plaster floor. The chamfer on the beam does not have stop ends and the joists are not chamfered.

The ordnance survey map of 1885 (25”) shows buildings on the northern edge of The Green next to the road, towards the west end.

Percy Proudley:- Footpath on south side of Green from Bar Road to Station Road was called the Twitchell. The Station Road end of the path appears now to be blocked by houses.

The 1885 map does not show a pump on The Green.

Ernest Johnson:- Cottages to west of Recreation Room, now two were originally three. Bob Brumby in one on the left, Ivy Gill in middle, and another on the right. There were also other cottages at the back. Bob Brumby previously lived on Trent Bank.

Information from Mr Wright:- It is said that the cottage on the west of this group was used by Watsons as a coach house. The 19th century census returns show that there were three Boot and Shoemakers on or near The Green.

The Green(1), William Robinson, cordwainer was there in 1871, 1881, and 1891. It is interesting to note that George Bee described him as boot and shoe repairer in circa 1895, he also cut hair.

Workshop on The Green (2), George Beckett, master cordwainer did not live on The Green but according to George Bee his workshop was at one end of Mr Sizers cottage on The Green near the smithy. He worked in the village from before 1851 until 1891 or later.

High Street, now Bar Road (3), Thomas Wells, cordwainer, master with two apprentices in 1851 but where he lived is not clear. Schedule number 67. Aged 40. In 1861 –1891 census years he is living at what is now called Cobblers on Bar Road opposite the Hare and Hounds. Aged 80 in 1891.

1838 Vestry Meeting:- “Sir Joseph Rudsdell proposed and seconded by Mr Gamson that Blacksmiths shop and other property on The Green be sold.”

George Bee records in his memoirs the demolition in his lifetime of some “mud and stud” houses which stood on The Green, only one of which was occupied as a dwelling house, in his boyhood of around 1890-1900.

He also mentions donkey rides for a penny on one evening each summer, from The Green and round the village. At other times a horse drawn rocking boat worked by cranks took children round the village. Also in summer might come a German band of four men playing stringed instruments, and perhaps a foreign man with a dancing bear, or a hurdy-gurdy man with a monkey. Another visiting musical instrument was a piano on two wheels worked by a handle, and there might be a canary which for a penny would pick out a card from a box and on the card on which would be printed your ‘fortune’.

SILVER JUBILEE CELEBRATION

ER II 1952 – 1977

BECKINGHAM AND SAUNDBY

PROGRAMME OF EVENTS

June 6th and 7th 1977

MONDAY 6TH JUNE 1977

9.00pm. – 2.00 a.m

S I L V E R J U B I L E E D A N C E

Music by

The Colin Cooke Combo

Ceramic Explosion Disco

 

BUFFET BAR

TUESDAY

10.30 on THE GREEN, BECKINGHAM
PUNCH AND JUDY SHOW

The mini market will be open for refreshments.

2.0 JUBILEE PARADE
(assembling 1.30 – 1.45 p.m. at the School)
Through Beckingham via High Street, Church, Low Street, to the Playing Field.
Including the Jubilee Queen selected by the School and Playgroup; Floats; Fancy Dress etc. will be led by Geoff Webbs Folk’ll point.

2.30 JUDGING of floats and fancy dress by Mrs Hilier

Presentation of JUBILEE SOUVENIRS to children.

EXHIBITIONS AND EVENTS IN THE MARQUEE

Historical photographs, ‘By-gones’ Art, Crafts; Jubilee Queen Dolls; floral displays; and other exhibits by the School, Playgroup and Brownies.

Clay pigeon shoot
Golf Splash
Bowls Competition
Tennis Competition

SIDE SHOWS including Teddy Bears Picnic, Darts, Treasure Hunt etc.

3.0 SPORTS on the field including childrens and adults races, novelty events

3.30 GYMNASTICS DISPLAY by the Gringley Boys.

4.00 TEAS prepared by the Beckingham Womens’ Institute from food donated by villagers – served in the Hall.

TUG OF WAR between
The Hare and Hounds Beckingham
The Crown Inn Saundby

4.15 FOOTBALL
Absolutely no expense spared
The Fabulous Silver Siders –v- The Jubilee Gents

7.0 FAMILY BARN DANCE in the Marquee
Music and Refreshments by Mrs Joan Sanger & Mrs Freda Proudley

7.0 BINGO in the Hall

IMAGE 17-44 Fete on Village Green, Beckingham 18th June 1988
Film developed 30th June 1988

IMAGE 17-45 The Green June 1994
Negatives 16 & 17

COTTAGES ON OR NEAR THE GREEN

George Bee listed the following occupiers in circa 1895.

Mrs Waterfield, widow
This was probably the cottage near the blacksmiths house.
Next to Mr R Glew, labourer
Then to Mr E Thompson, labourer
Then to Mr T Clark, labourer, (see 1881 and 1891 census) This was probably the cottage on the south side of the pinfold.
Then Mr Overend, shipyard worker.
Adjoining the Smithy Mr Sizer in a small cottage which was made smaller by having a small part at one end let off as a workshop to Mr Beckett, shoemaker.

People who dwelt on The Green in census years are listed in the analysis of those returns.

The three cottages on the north side of The Green mentioned as ‘now cleared down’ in the Terrier of 1894, had latterly been used by Abraham Holmes, blacksmith, as storehouses.

Mr Pearson recalls the cottages on the southern side of The Green, now demolished. One was at the back of the cottage now called ‘Cobblers’ and was occupied by Mrs Southwell. Another, further to the east was occupied by Mrs Lucy Gill and her daughter Ivy, now demolished. The third was occupied by the Holmes family, but it is not clear if this was the smithy house now occupied by Mr Wharton the joiner. See also Alwin Ingall’s comments.

Geoff Proudley says that one of the above houses faced south, had a bow window and sweets were sold. This would be Mrs Robinson.

Michael Proudley recollects;-
The two houses to the west of the Recreation Room once being three, and occupied east to west by Brumby, Gill and Wrigglesworth. He says that Jack Taylor was at the blacksmiths house and Brumby at ‘Cobblers’. Wright and perhaps Loker at back of the village pound.

Alwin Ingall says:- Southwells, Gills and Holmes lived on The Green.

At the vestry Meeting on Easter Monday 1830 it was agreed that David Spittlehouse be appointed Pinder for the Parish of Beckingham.

THE GREEN, NEAR THE SMITHY, BECKINGHAM

Census Returns
1831
William Bell 1 family 1 male 3 females

1841
William Bell 65 Independent
Mary Bell 65
Mary Bell 30
Elizabeth Bell 25

1851 Schedule 22
William Bell Head Married 77 Annuitant and House Owner Yorkshire
Mary Bell Wife Married 79 Beckingham
Mary Bell Daughter Unmarried 40 Stay Maker Beckingham

1861 Schedule 94
Mary Bell Head Widow 88 Retired Annuitant Beckingham
Emma Bowrill Granddaughter 19 Captains Daughter Boston

THE GREEN, BECKINGHAM

Census Returns
1831 On or near The Green
Thomas Clark 1 male 2 females

1831 It was agreed at a Vestry Meeting that a house be built for Thomas Clark, 5 yards in length at the end of Jane Robinsons.

1841 On The Green
Thomas Clark 74 Agricultural labourer
Sarah Clark 76

1851 Schedule 21
Sarah Clark Head Widow 80 Pauper formerly Agricultural Labourers wife

The following are not necessarily of the same family or living in the same house as above.

1861 Schedule 93
William Clark Head Married 49 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Charlotte Clark Wife Married 40 Worlaby
Venus Clark Daughter Unmarried 16 Agricultural Labourers Daughter Grasby
Thomas Clark Son 13 Farmer’s boy Grasby
George Clark Son 10 Scholar Grasby

1871 Schedule 24 The Green
William Clark Head Married 60 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Charlotte Clark Wife Married 55 Worlaby
George Clark Son Unmarried 19 Agricultural labourer Grasby
William G Wright Grandson 3 Scholar Haxey

1881 Schedule 76 High Street On or near The Green
William Clark Head Married 70 Agricultural labourer Beckingham
Charlotte Clark Wife Married 65 Worlaby

1881 Schedule 74 High Street On or near The Greent
Thomas Clark Head Married 30 Agricultural labourer Grasby
Mary Clark Wife 28 Corringham
Mary H Clark Daughter 4 Beckingham
Edith F Clark Daughter 1 Beckingham

This Thomas must have been son of William and Charlotte, and was living near his parents, on or near The Green.
Edith Florence kept the Post Office became Mrs Bee.

1891 Schedule 87 High Street
Thomas Clark Head Married 41 Agricultural labourer Grasby
Mary Clark Wife Married 39 Corringham
Mary H Clark Daughter 14 Beckingham
Edith F Clark Daughter 12 Beckingham
George F Clark Son 9 Beckingham
John W Clark Son 5 Beckingham
Arthur J Clark Son 2 Beckingham

George F Clark married Susan.
John W Clark went to America.
Arthur Clark married Rose Kendall.

CENSUS RETURNS FOR 1851

Schedule 25 Beckingham
Sarah Harwood Head Widow 76 Pauper formerly farmers wife Beckingham
Vincent Harwood Son Unmarried 27 Agricultural labourer Beckingham

Schedule 19
John Clark Head Widower 88 Pauper formerly landowner Beckingham

COTTAGE ON THE GREEN

1831 Census

1841 Census High Street
Rebecca Keightly 50 Washerwoman
William Bromhead 13 Agricultural Labourer

Rebecca above was probably the Rebecca Brumhead who married William Keightly at Beckingham, 12th January 1837. They probably lived on Station Road in 1831.

1851 Census, Beckingham number 26
Rebecca Keightly Head Widow 57 Pauper formerly Agricultural labourers wife Lincolnshire

If Rebecca Brumhead was born in Lincolnshire she was not necessarily connected with the Beckingham family of that name, unless she was a widow when she married William Keightley.

THE GREEN, BECKINGHAM

Census Returns
1831
Mary Lane 1 family 2 male 2 females

1841 No certain connection with above
Thomas Lane 30 Agricultural labourer
Amelia Lane 40
William Lane 10
Esther Lane 8
Mary Lane 4

1851 Schedule 24
Thomas Lane Head Married 43 Agricultural labourer Beckingham
Amelia Lane Wife Married 30 Beckingham
Esther Lane Daughter Unmarried 18 Beckingham
Mary Lane Daughter 14 Beckingham
Benjamin Lane Visitor Married 27 Iron Foundry Man Beckingham
Mary Ann Lane Visitor 1 Gainsborough?

1861 There is a Thomas Lane aged 54 on Low Street, Schedule 47, Wife Jane.

1871 As in 1861, schedule 85, aged 63

THE GREEN, BECKINGHAM

Census Returns
1831
William Newbold 1 family 1 male 4 females

1841 High Street
William Newbold 40 Agricultural labourer
Ann Newbold 45
Eliza Newbold 13
Hannah Newbold 11
Elizabeth Newbold 9
Ann Newbold 7
William Newbold 5

1851 Schedule 20 Beckingham
William Newbold Head Married 51 Agricultural labourer Wales
Ann Newbold Wife Married 55 Walesby
William Newbold Son 14 Beckingham
Ann Newbold Granddaughter 3 Scholar Gainsborough Union

1861 Schedule 92 Beckingham (Note change in spelling of surname)
William Newbert Head Married 61 Agricultural labourer Wales
Ann Newbert Wife Married 67 Walesby
John Newbert Grandson 8 Scholar Beckingham

1871 Schedule 23 The Green
William Newbert Head Married 72 Agricultural labourer Wales
Ann Newbert Wife Married 77 Walesby

COTTAGE ON THE GREEN

1831 Census
Nicholas Parkin 1 family 4 male 2 females

1841 Census High Street
Ann Parkin 45 Agricultural labourer
Amelia Parkin 8

Nicholas Parkin and Ann Stacey married at Beckingham 16th May 1815. Amelia would be named after her aunt Amelia P who married Thomas Wells. Was Nicholas the son of Barzillai?

1851 Census Beckingham number 27
Ann Parkin Head Widow 57 Pauper Beckingham
Charles Parkin Son Unmarried 22 Agricultural labourer Beckingham
Amelia Parkin Daughter Unmarried 18 Beckingham

1861 Census Beckingham
Ann Parkin Head Widow 67 Almswoman Agricultural labourers widow Beckingham

1871 Schedule 33 The Green
Ann Parkin Head Widow 77 Almswoman Beckingham

THE GREEN, BECKINGHAM

Census Returns
1831
Jane Robinson 1 family 2 male 2 female

1831 Vestry decided to build at the end of Jane Robinson’s house, a house for Thomas Clarke, 5 yards in length.

1841
Jane Robinson 55 Agricultural Labourer
Anthony Robinson 25
John Robinson 20

1851
Jane Robinson Head Widow 68 Pauper, formerly Agricultural labourers wife Laxton
Anthony Robinson Son Unmarried 38 Agricultural labourer Gunthorpe
George Satchell Nephew Scholar Gainsborough

Census Returns
1831
1841
1851
1861

1871 Schedule 28 The Green
William S Robinson Head Married 30 Cordwainer Scotter
Ann Robinson Wife Married 30 Beckingham
William Robinson Son 4 Scholar Beckingham
Charles R Robinson Son 3 Beckingham
Sarah Ellen Robinson Daughter 1 Beckingham
Lucy Ann Parkin Daughter in law 8 Scholar Egmanton

1881 Schedule 72 High Street
William S Robinson Head Married 40 Cordwainer, Master Scotter
Ann Robinson Wife Married 40 Beckingham
William Robinson Son 14 Beckingham
Charles R Robinson Son 13 Scholar Beckingham
Sarah Ellen Robinson Daughter 11 Scholar Beckingham
Lilly A Robinson Daughter 8 Scholar Beckingham
John R Robinson Son 5 Scholar Beckingham
Albert S Robinson Son 2 Scholar Beckingham

1891 Schedule 89 High Street (5 or more rooms)
William S Robinson Head Married 50 Boot & Shoemaker Scotter
Ann Robinson Wife Married 50 Beckingham
Sarah E Robinson Daughter 22 Machinist Knitting Beckingham
Lilly A Robinson Daughter 19 Dressmaker Beckingham
John Robinson Son 16 Plater at shipyard Beckingham
Albert Robinson Son 13 Scholar Beckingham
William H Northedge Grandson 4 Beckingham

CENSUS RETURNS

1831
David Spittlehouse 1 family 4 male 4 female

1841
David Spittlehouse 55 Agricultural labourer
Sarah Spittlehouse 50
Edward Spittlehouse 13
Henry Spittlehouse 9

1851 Schedule 28 Beckingham
David Spittlehouse Head Married 68 Agricultural labourer Marton
Sarah Spittlehouse Wife Married 68 Besthorpe
Charles Spittlehouse Son Unmarried 25 Agricultural labourer Gringley
Edward Spittlehouse Son Unmarried 22 Agricultural labourer Beckingham
Elizabeth Spittlehouse Granddaughter Illegitimate 5 Gainsborough Union
Emma Spittlehouse Granddaughter Illegitimate 3 Gainsborough Union

1861 Schedule 97 Beckingham
David Spittlehouse Head Married 78 Agricultural labourer Marton
Sarah Spittlehouse Wife Married 73 Besthorpe

Charles Spittlehouse son of David and Sarah married Jane. They and their family lived on Low Street, probably at Bradwell Cottage in 1861 and 1871 and on High Street in 1881, and Edward Spittlehouse most likely brother of Charles, lived in Manor House Cottage in 1891.

See below the settlement agreement for David Spittlehouse.

LINDSEY PETTY SESSION SETTLEMENT EX.

David Spittlehouse of Brattleby, labourer aged 39 born Marton. At Wheatley Statules 1805 he was hired by William Fretwell of Beckingham, Nottinghamshire, farmer to serve him in husbandry from Martinmas 1805 to Martinmas 1806. He served the year and received full wages has done nothing to gain subsequent settlement. About 12 years ago he married Sarah his present wife by whom he has six children, John 11, George 9, William 7, Harriet 6, Charles 5, Mary 2, he is now actually chargeable to the parish of Brattleby. Date 16th May 1823.

Freda Proudley’s copy of a/m document is in the slide binder with similar copies and list of Beckingham Marriages transcribed by Philimore.

THE GREEN, BECKINGHAM

Census Returns
1831

1841 Perhaps not on The Green but one of a pair at Gamson’s corner
Thomas Turner 35 Agricultural labourer
Mary Turner 25
Ann Turner 1

1851 Schedule 36 Next to Gervase Gamson
Thomas Turner Head Married 48 Agricultural labourer Beckingham
Mary Turner Wife Married 35 Beckingham
Ann Turner Daughter 11 Beckingham
George Turner Son 10 Scholar Beckingham
Sarah Turner Daughter 7 Scholar Beckingham
Mary Turner Daughter 4 Beckingham
Harriet Turner Daughter 2 Beckingham

1861 Schedule 96 Appears to be on The Green
Thomas Turner Head Married 57 Agricultural labourer Beckingham
Mary Turner Wife Married 45 Beckingham
George Turner Son Unmarried 19 Agrcultural labourer Beckingham
Sarah Turner Daughter Unmarried 17 Farmer’s workwoman Beckingham
Harriet Turner Daughter 12 Scholar Beckingham
Thomas Turner Son 3 Beckingham
Amelia Lane Boarder 8 months Kexby

1871 Schedule 26 The Green, and Schedule 27
Thomas Turner Head Married 60 Agricultural labourer Beckingham
Mary Turner Wife Married 55 Beckingham
Thomas Turner Son Unmarried 13 Agricultural labourers work Beckingham
Sarah Turner Daughter Unmarried 26 Farm work in field Beckingham
Harriet Turner Daughter Unmarried 22 Farm work in field Beckingham
Anthony Robinson Lodger Unmarried 58 Agricultural labourer Grassthorpe
John Bailey Lodger Unmarried 24 Agricultural labourer Waddington

1881 Schedule 75 Appears to be on The Green
Thomas Turner Head 70 Agricultural labourer Beckingham
Mary Turner Wife 64 Beckingham
Thomas Turner Son 24 Agricultural labourer Beckingham
Mary A Armstrong Granddaughter 6 Scholar Beckingham

CENSUS RETURNS

1881 Schedule 77 High Street
Mary Waterfield Head Widow 58 Laundress Holme near Newark
Henry Waterfield Son Unmarried 23 Joiner Sheffield

1891 Schedule 92 High Street 3 rooms
Mary Waterfield Head Widow 66 Laundress Holme
Henry Waterfield Son Single 33 Sheffield

(This cottage is described in 1894 by the Parish Council as being “one storey and having only two small, low, ground floor rooms, it is believed to be in bad repair and questionable whether fit for the habitation of present occupiers.”)

THE GREEN, BECKINGHAM

Census Returns
1831
Hannah Whittington 1 family 5 males 1 female

1841
Hannah Whittington 45 Washerwoman

1851 Schedule 30
Hannah Whittington Head Widow 55 Laundress East Markham
Henry Whittington Son 13 Scholar Beckingham

1861 Schedule 102, Low Street
Hannah Whittington Head Widow 66 Laundress East Markham
Henry Whittington Son Unmarried 23 Joiner Beckingham

1871 Schedule 30 The Green
Hannah Whittington Head Widow 76 Laundress East Markham

THE GREEN
Census returns for 1831 for people not here in other census years

Mary Durdey 1 female See also schedule 71 1881

John Hempsell senior 4 male 5 females

Ann Keyworth 2 male 2 female

Edward Hill 1 male 2 female

Census Returns for 1841 for people not here in other census years

John Harwood 35 Agricultural labourer
(John Harwood and Anne Hall married 2nd February 1829 at Beckingham)

Ann Harwood 30
Harriot Harwood 10
George Harwood 5
William Harwood 1 month
Sarah Hall 20

THE GREEN

Census Returns for 1851 of people not here in other census years

Schedule 25 Beckingham
Sarah Harwood Head Widow 74 Pauper formerly farmers wife Beckingham
Vincent Harwood Son Unmarried 27 Agricultural labourer Beckingham
Vincent aged 20 was living alone on Low Street near Nursery in 1841.

Between schedule 25 and 26
One uninhabited house

Schedule 19 Beckingham
John Clark Head Widow 88 Pauper formerly landowner Beckingham

THE GREEN

Census Returns for 1861 of people no here in other census years

Schedule 91 Beckingham
Sarah Curtis Head Married 47 Charwoman Beckingham
Enoch Curtis Son 12 Scholar Beckingham

Schedule 95 Beckingham
John Berry Head Married 34 Agricultural labourer Walkeringham
Elizabeth Berry Wife Married 40 North Scarle

Schedule 99 Beckingham
Mary Hempsell Head Widow 75 Almswoman, shoemakers widow Tilton on the Hill, Leicestershire

Schedule 100 High Street
John Parkin Head Married 37 Agricultural labourer Beckingham
Sarah Parkin Wife Married 37 Beckingham
Ann Parkin Daughter 11 Scholar Beckingham
John Parkin Son 9 Scholar Beckingham
Thomas Parkin Son 5 Scholar Beckingham
Mary Parkin Daughter 8 months Beckingham

Schedule 101 High Street
Hannah Holmes Head Widow 45 Charwoman Beckingham
Hannah Holmes Daughter Unmarried 18 Servant Somerby
Robert Holmes Son 10 Scholar Beckingham
Louisa Holmes Daughter 7 Scholar Beckingham

Schedule 105 Beckingham
John Gurnhill Head Married 33 Agricultural labourer Walkeringham
Eleanor Gurnhill Wife Married 29 Boston Fen
Ellen Gurnhill Daughter 7 Beckingham
Tom George Gurnhill Son 5 Beckingham
Mary Jane Gurnhill Daughter 4 Beckingham
Frederick Gurnhill Son 1 Walkeringham

See also schedule 37 Top Street in 1871

Schedule 106
John Tomlinson Head Widower 60 Agricultural labourer Beckingham
John T P Tomlinson Plough Boy

THE GREEN

Census returns for 1871 of people not here in other census years

Between schedules 27 and 28
1 unoccupied house

Schedule 31 The Green
Ann Gurnhill Head Widow 72 Agricultural labourer’s widow Walkeringham
Joseph Gurnhill Grandson 14 Scholar Beckingham

Schedule 32 The Green
Frederick Gurnhill Head Married 36 Agricultural labourer Beckingham
Hannah Gurnhill Wife Married 33 Sheffield
William Gurnhill Son 4 Scholar Beckingham
George H Gurnhill Son 3 months Beckingham
Ann Gurnhill Daughter 12 Scholar Beckingham
Jane Gurnhill Daughter 10 Scholar Beckingham
Hannah Gurnhill Daughter 6 Scholar Beckingham
Eliza Gurnhill Daughter 2 Beckingham

Schedule 34 The Green
Amelia Fenton Head 38? Charwoman Beckingham
Robert Fenton son 10 Farmwork Beckingham
John Fenton son 7 Beckingham
Mary Ann Fenton Daughter 14 Beckingham
Ann Fenton Daughter 3 Beckingham

Schedule 25 The Green
William Pask Head Married 46 Agricultural labourer Kexby
Sarah Pask Wife 48 Scotter
Betsey Pask Daughter 12 Scholar Beckingham
Ellen Pask Daughter 9 Scholar Beckingham
John William Pask Son 4 Scholar Beckingham

THE GREEN

Census returns for 1881 of people not here in other census years

Schedule 73 High Street
John Howsam Head Widower 30 Signalman Railway Toynton, Lincolnshire
Susannah Howsam Daughter 9 Scholar Croft, Lincolnshire
John W Howsam Son 3 Scholar Beckingham
Elizabeth Grey Housekeeper Widow 31 Housekeeper Corby, Lincolnshire

Schedule 79 High Street
George Sizer Head Married 49 Agricultural labourer South Kelsey, Lincolnshire
Ann Sizer Wife Married 41 Beckingham
Mary A Sizer Daughter Unmarried 16 Domestic servant unemployed Beckingham
John R Sizer Son 14 Agricultural labourer Beckingham
Rebecca Sizer Daughter 13 Scholar Beckingham
Sarah E Sizer Daughter 11 Scholar Beckingham
Lilly Sizer Daughter 6 Scholar Beckingham
Minnie Sizer Daughter 4 Scholar Beckingham
Lucy E Sizer Daughter 3 Scholar Beckingham
Margaret E Sizer Daughter 2 Beckingham
Florence A Sizer Daughter 1 month Beckingham

THE GREEN

Census returns for 1891 of people not mentioned in other census years.

Schedule 88 High Street
William Overend Head Married 36 Boiler Maker Yorkshire Fanny Overend Wife Married 34 Stockwith
John W Overend Son 8 Scholar Gainsborough
Albert Overend Son 4 Scholar Gainsborough
Fanny Overend Daughter 3 Gainsborough

Schedule 90 High Street 4 rooms
Edward Thompson Head Married 49 Agricultural labourer Beckingham
Sarah A Thompson Wife Married 48 Kexby
Thomas H Thompson Son 15? Scholar Blyton
William Thompson Son 6 Scholar Blyton
Frank Thompson Grandson 1 Beckingham

Schedule 91 High Street 4 rooms
William Berry Head Married 25 Miller Beckingham
Rose A Berry Wife Married 21 Lincoln

ALMSHOUSES see also THE GREEN

It is said that there were some almshouses on The Green which have now disappeared, and about which there was a scandal. It is also said that Joseph Watson offered to build almshouses there but for some reason they never materialised. The 1885 ordnance survey map shows buildings on the northern edge of The Green and next to the road; these perhaps were the almshouses.

There were six paupers living on The Green in 1851, two in 1861.

1851
Schedule
19 John Clark Head Widower 85 Pauper formerly Landowner Beckingham

21 Sarah Clark Head Widow 80 Pauper formerly agricultural labourer’s wife

25 Sarah Harwood Head Widow 75 Pauper formerly farmer’s wife Beckingham

26 Rebecca Keightly Head Widow 57 Pauper formerly Agricultural labourer’s wife Lincolnshire

27 Ann Parkin Head Widow 57 Pauper formerly agricultural labourer’s wife Beckingham

29 Jane Robinson Head Widow 68 Pauper formerly agricultural labourer’s wife Laxton

1861
Schedule
98 Ann Parkin Head Widow 67 Almswoman, Agricultural labourer’s widow Beckingham

99 Mary Hempsell Head Widow 75 Shoemaker’s widow, almswoman Tilton on the Hill

1831
“At a Vestry held by adjournment at Mrs Curtis’s (Hare and Hounds public house) on Monday the 19th day of October and legally called in the Church the Sunday before it was unanimously agreed that a house shall be built for Thomas Clarke at the end of Jane Robinson on The Green five yards in length and the Overseers of the Poor of Beckingham are hereby empowered to apply to the joiner and bricklayers for estimate and to take the lowest estimate of those who will contract for the building of the said room, the Overseers of the Poor to borrow the whole of the money and pay it off in two years from the present time by two equal instalments.”
Signed Henry Watson, John Maltby, John Walker
E Stovin signed per pro Robert Cross, Seth Hurt, William Trimmingham, John Webster, John Durdy.

1824 April 19th Vestry Meeting

Agreed at a meeting held on the above date “that the Widows in the Parish of Beckingham shall have an addition of six pence per week from the present time paid by the Overseers of the Poor.”
Robert Cross, Gervas Gamson, Robert Storrs

“Agreed on the above that the rents arising from the Poor dole shall be annually expanded in the following order viz two poor children shall be put to school and taught to reed at four shillings per quarter and the remainder shall be equally divided amongst the poor widows who have a legal settlement in the Parish. A list of the said Widows shall be annually exhibited on Easter Monday.!
Signed John Cross, Thomas Dawson, Robert Storr, Gervas Gamson, George Kidney, George Bromhead.

1830 January 14th
“At a meeting held this day in the Church notice of which was given on the Sunday before to make an assessment for the immediate relief of the Poor we the undersigned do hereby allow the Overseers of the Poor to make an assessment at the rate of one shilling in the Pound.
John (x his mark) Walker Gervase Goodwin
Gervase (x his mark) Gamson Barzillai Parkin

1780 “The Poor Dole” is let along with the Lanes and cost £1.11.0 in 1780.

The above was two acres of land allotted to Overseers of the Poor of Beckinghm at the Enclosures. This was situated on the Trent side, immediately to the north of The Old Trent Road. For many years it was owned by Watson’s Shipbuilders and in recent years by The Trent Wharferage Company.

IMAGE 17-46 copied 1995

IMAGE 17-47

IMAGE 17-48 copied 1995

IMAGE 17-49

IMAGE 17-50

Beckingham circa 1970
The village shop and Wharton’s joinery business situated at the old blacksmiths/coopers on Bar Road North. The village green is to the extreme left, four cottages stood on the edge of the green being demolished in the late 1800. The cottage next to the blacksmiths, the last occupant before demolition was Ivy Gill, the cottage to the right of this is I the trees was last occupied by Mr Les Southwell cottages in the centre of the picture at the rear of the Recreation room, on was a shop at one time selling anything from paraffin to sweets.

IMAGE 17-51

IMAGE 17-51 Sketched by Fred Gosling

IMAGE 17-53

IMAGE 17-54

Plan of Beckingham Village Green from Parish Council Records

IMAGE 17-55
Thought to be plan at outbreak of War 19?? Drawn by Mr Ingall

Plan of Fire Hydrants from Parish Council Records

IMAGE 17-56
Copied from Parish Council records

IMAGE 17-57
Copied from Parish Council records

IMAGE 17-58

IMAGE 17-59

Beckingham, Nottinghamshire from Parish Council Records

IMAGE 17-60

IMAGE 17-61

IMAGE 17-62

IMAGE 17-63

IMAGE 17-64

IMAGE 17-65

IMAGE 17-66

Copied from over the page

District Auditors Stamps

W W Dolby 20th July 1915
W W Dolby 6th June 1916
W W Dolby 26th June 1917
1918 Missing
W F M Provis 28th January 1919
B Snow 17th February 1920
V W L 27th October 1920

J V W Skeet Chairman
H Emmerson Two meetings
E Proudley of Parish Council

IMAGE 17-67

IMAGE 17-68

IMAGE 17-69

IMAGE 17-70

PAIR OF COTTAGES ON THE EAST SIDE OF STATION ROAD, NOW LOW STREET

Census Returns for Southern cottage of the pair.

1831 Census

Perhaps William Keightley, 2 male, 2 female

1841 Census Low Street

Perhaps

John Keightley 60 Agricultural Labourer
Sarah Keightley 20
Susannah Horsley 14
Anthony Horsley 10
George ? 8

1851 Census Beckingham Schedule 97

Perhaps

William Keightley Head Widow 71 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
William Pygott Son-in-law M 36 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Sarah Pygott Son’s wife M 31 Beckingham

1861 Census Low Street Schedule 17

William Pigot Head 46 Agricultural Labourer Rampton
Sarah Pigot Wife 40 Beckingham
William Keightley Father-in-law 86 Agricultural Labourer Gringley on the Hill

1871 Census Station Road Schedule 108

William Newbold Head M 29 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Elizabeth Newbold Wife M 31 Epworth
Frederick W Newbold Son 7 Scholar Beckingham
Georgiana Newbold Dau 9 Beckingham
Eliza J Newbold Dau 3 months Beckingham

1881 Census Station Road Schedule 3

Eliza Cassan Wife M 36 Wife of Agricultural Labourer Morton, Lincolnshire
Sarah J Cassan Dau 13 Scholar Gringley
John Cassan Son 11 Scholar Gringley
Annie Cassan Dau 5 Scholar Beckingham

1891 Census Station Road Schedule 14, 4 rooms

George Wood Head Widow 56 Carter Grewelthorpe, Yorkshire

1901 Census Schedule 21 Station Road, 4 rooms

William Parkin Head M 81 Labourer RDC Worker Beckingham
Harriet Parkin Wife M 81 Egmanton
William H Northedge Gson S 15 Labourer Coal Yard Beckingham

IMAGE16A/08 Retford and North Nottinghamshire Guardian 27/04/1988

IMAGE16A/09 Copied 09/1993 Neg 13A. Pair of cottages Station Road, Beckingham, in 1984 before being altered into a single dwelling.

IMAGE16A/10 Developed 08/1993 Neg 9A. Royston Cottage, Station Road, Beckingham, in August 1993 after alterations. Named after an 18th century owner.

IMAGE16A/11 Map of Beckingham

IMAGE16A/12 Map of Beckingham

ROYSTON COTTAGE, STATION ROAD, NOW LOW STREET

1710 This was Mr Royston’s property, see marriage settlement of J Bromhead, Thistle Farm. In 1736 this site totalled 4a, 3r, 37p with close no 79 called Upper Furlong of 3a, 1r, 07p.

In 1777 this same site was estimated at 4a, 0r, 39p with close 54 called now South Field Close of 3a, 2r, 18p. Owner Mary Royston. Received at the enclosure allotment was 3a, 0r, 27p. on Saundby Road and 7a, 1r, 08p and 2a, 0r, 11p in the Marshes. See next page.

Beckingham Marriage Register.
Mr Thomas Royston and Mris Ann Hogard “was married at Retford” 21/05/1683.

The above groom was obviously a man of some importance to be called Mr and to marry at Retford. His bride was given the title of Mris. Which probably indicated rank rather than marital status, ie she was most likely a spinster, not a widow.

Rector’s Book of Clayworth Page 82

The rector recorded in 1688 “that at May day Mr Thomas Royston came from Beckingham with his family to settle at his house here; and on ye 1st of November following, in a difference upon some words, he brake his gun barrel over ye head of Thomas Hellyfield; but after an arrest, and ye beginning of a suit, things were compounded and quieted.”

It seems likely that there is some connection between this property and Royston Manor, but what it can be is not immediately obvious. The Otter family were in Clayworth in 1715 when Roger Otter, Rob Fretwell not George Ryd compiled the inventory of the goods of Thomas Royston. The Otters lived at Royston Manor until c1939. There does not seem to have been sufficient land attached to make a farm or estate of the land at Beckingham. Was Mary Royston of Beckingham at the Enclosures of 1777 the daughter of Thomas Royston of Clayworth who died 1715?

George Bee said the occupiers circa 1895 were:-
Road side cottage Mr S Wharton, joiner at Marshalls Works.
Eastern end Cottage Mr W B Halle.

Percy Proudley:- Wright had far end and Spratt near the road.

It has been difficult to allocate tenants to cottages from the census returns as there is no means of knowing which was listed first.

Mr and Mrs A C Jordan had the building modernised c1980 and made into one house. The brickwork was rendered and the roof altered on the north side. It was probably they who called it Royston Cottage, after Mary Royston who owned the property, which included the other pair of cottages, in 1777.

It is said that this was known as Blue Gates before being called Royston Cottage.

Alwin Ingall says Joe Wright lived here.

SOUTHERN PAIR OF COTTAGES ON STATION ROAD, NOW LOW STREET . NOW ROYSTON COTTAGE A single dwelling since c1980.

LARGER COTTAGE, END TO THE ROAD

1831 Census

Robert Cottam, 3 male, 3 female. Described as yeoman farmer in Whites 1832. He had Freehold Land at Crabtree Close, see 1833/1834 Electoral Roll.

1841 Census Low Street

Robert Cottam 40 Agricultural Labourer
Mary Cottam 35
Robert Cottam 13
Sarah Cottam 12
George Cottam 10
Richard Cottam 7
Mary Cottam 5
Jane Cottam 3
William Cottam 4 months
Sarah Brumhead 55 Inmate (Mother of Mary Cottam. See Brumhead deeds).

1851 Census Beckingham Schedule no 99

Jonathon Crowder Head M 54 Agricultural Labourer Clayworth
Elizabeth Crowder Wife M 49 Dunham
Hannah Crowder Dau 12 Beckingham

1861 Census Low Street Schedule 16

Jonathon Crowder Head M 64 Agricultural Labourer Clayworth
Elizabeth Crowder Wife M 59 Dunham

1871 Census Station Road Schedule 110

Jonathon Crowder Head M 74 Agricultural Labourer Clayworth
Elizabeth Crowder Wife M 69 Dunham

1881 Census Station Road Schedule 2

John Gurnhill Head M 54 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Eleanor Gurnhill Wife M 49 Boston Fen
Thomas G Gurnhill Gson 4 Beckingham

1891 Census Station Road Schedule 12

Samuel Wharton Head M 40 Joiner Thorparch Yorkshire
Sarah Ann Wharton Wife M 39 Misterton
Thomas Wharton Son S 18 Labourer in Shipyard Lincoln
Arthur Wharton Son 15 Labourer in Coachyard Beckingham
Frederick W Wharton Son 13 Scholar Beckingham
Ernest Wharton Son 8 Scholar Beckingham

1901 Schedule 19 Station Road, 4 rooms

Henry Waterfield Head M 43 Joiner Worker Sheffield
Sarah J Waterfield Wife M 44 Edingley
Mary Waterfield Mother Widow 79 Holme
Walter Baguley Nephew S 20 Ship Plate Rivetter Worker Mansfield

SOUTHERN PAIR OF COTTAGES ON STATION ROAD, NOW LOW STREET. NOW ROYSTON COTTAGE A Single dwelling since C1980.

SMALLER COTTAGE AT EAST END

1831 Census

George Hall, 3 male, 3 female

1841 Census Low Street

Chas Johnson 35 Agricultural Labourer
Charlotte Johnson 30
Susannah Johnson 15
Rebecca Johnson 10
William Johnson 6
Elizabeth Johnson 3
Ann Johnson 3
Rob Watkinson 50 Agricultural Labourer

1851 Census Beckingham Schedule no 98

Charles Johnson Head M 47 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Charlotte Johnson Wife M 43 Retford
Elizabeth Johnson Dau 15 Beckingham
Ann Johnson Dau 13 Beckingham
Enoch Johnson Son 7 Scholar Beckingham
George Johnson Son 4 Beckingham

1861 Census Low Street Schedule 15

Charles Johnson Head M 57 Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Charlotte Johnson Wife M 53 Retford
Elizabeth Johnson Dau Unm 23 Lately a house servant now out of place. Beckingham
Tomlinson Ranshaw Servant Unm 21 Farm Servant Carter Walkeringham
Enoch Johnson Son Unm 18 Farm Servant Carter Beckingham
William Johnson Gson 9 months Beckingham

1871 Census Station Road Schedule 109 (Probably at Rose Cottage, Low Street in 1861).

William Jaques Head M 62 Agricultural Labourer Not Known
Elizabeth Jaques Wife M 64 Long Collingham
George Jaques Gson 9 Scholar Beckingham
Arthur Jaques Gson 6 Scholar Beckingham
Emily Jacques Gdau 11 Scholar Beckingham

1881 Census Station Road Schedule 1

Elizabeth Jaques Head Widow 75 Collingham
George Jaques Gson 19 Iron Moulder (Apprentice) Beckingham
(Monumental Inscription William Jaques died 08/03/1877 aged 70. Elizabeth his wife died 21/04/1883 aged 78).

1891 Census Station Road Schedule 13, 4 rooms

William P B Halle Head M 51 Accountant Clerk Paris (British Subject)
Amelia P B Halle Wife M 50 London, Middlesex
Percy PB Halle Son 12 Scholar Wimbledon, Surrey

1901 Schedule 20 Station Road, 3 rooms

Alexander Noall Head M 76 Retired Shipwright Sunderland, Durham
Elizabeth Noall Wife M 70 Sunderland, Durham

IMAGE16A/13 Rector’s Book

IMAGE16A/14 Map of Beckingham Station Road

IMAGE16A/15 Mr Timson Pickering Extract from an article about Beckingham in the Doncaster Chronicle of 21/06/1956.

IMAGE16A/16

IMAGE16A/17

IMAGE16A/18

IMAGE16A/19

IMAGE16A/20

IMAGE16A/21

IMAGE16A/22 Part of Deeds of Mr Timson Pickerings Diary Farm, Beckingham

IMAGE16A/23 Developed 08/1994 Neg 24. Mr H T Pickering’s Dairy farm House, Station Street, Beckingham. 18/08/1994. Mr Pickering now lets this house and lives in the new Round Bungalow across the road having moved from the other bungalow.

IMAGE16A/24 A08/1993 Neg 8A. Mr Tim Pickering’s Diary Farm House Station Road Corner, Beckingham 08/1993. This is now let and he lives in bungalow seen on right of picture.

ROTHERLEIGH DAIRY FARM, STATION ROAD CORNER

1736 This property is shown on the map of that date as a Homestead no 74 of 1 acre 1 rood and no 73 a Home Close of 3 acres 1 rood 8 perches, being part of the estate of Thomas Hall.

1777. The enclosure Map shows it as no 58 of 4 acres 1 rood 31 perches, owned by Thomas Waterhouse, being part of the property he inherited from his brother in law, Thomas Hall.

1795. Thomas Waterhouse died and the estate of around 500 acres plus property in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, and shares in Gainsborough Bridge was left in trust to his wife Anne, then on her death to their younger daughter, Elizabeth Hawksmore, then to her children.

1840. Elizabeth Hawksmore Massingberd died and the inheritance passed to her children Hompesch, Christiana Louisa, Ellen and Mary Jane, with the exception of the elder son, Thomas who was excluded by his grandfather’s will from benefiting. This rather odd exclusion was made before his elder son was born. Mrs Mary Teale inherited this Homestead as part of her quarter share. Ann Cliff was the then tenant. On the death of Mrs Teale the ownership passed to her daughter Mrs Meggitt. Included in the Reverend Hompesch Massingberd’s quarter share was South Field Close no 55 on the Enclosure Map and of 2 acres 3 roods 13 perches. More details of this close no 55 and close no 54 which became attached to this holding are given on a later page.

1866. The Tithe Book gives the owner of the homestead as being Mr Rogers and the tenant was George Wells who at some later date must have bought the cottage George Wells also rented the Moor Closes form Miss Rudsdell, who probably acquired them from Mrs Teale.

12/10/1910. George Wells died leaving his property, consisting of this Corner House and Close of 4 acres 1 rood 31 perches no 58 also South Field Close no 54 of 3 acres 2 roods 18 perches and another South Field Close no 55 of 3 acres, in trust for his wife to benefit from the profits thereof. The trustee was George William Thom.

20/10/1913. Mrs Wells died and the three properties were sold on 01/12/1913 to Henry Rose Esquire for £1,365. The two South Field Closes were then in the occupation of John Atkinson Anyan of Croft House.

14/04/1920. Henry Rose died and ownership was transferred to William Henry Rose at which time the tenant was Mrs Rogers.

24/09/1946. William Henry Rose sold the property to Mr Hubert Timson Pickering.

Mr Pickering told me that his business originated in the 1930’s when he collected neighbours milk and delivered it to the diary along with that from their own farm. The family farmed originally at Ernam near Corby Glen before moving to Kneesal. He was born at Osgodby near Market Rasen in 1911.

Later he ran the business from Cottam, but in 1946 he had the opportunity to buy the small holding at Beckingham. This chance came about because Mr Oswald Harrison’s daughter was ill and in Sheffield hospital, and Mrs Harrison was able to get a lift to see her on Mr Pickering’s milk lorry. Mr Harrison heard about the property being likely to come onto the market and told Mr Pickering, who was able to buy it, forestalling Mr Arthur Smithson and Mr Frank Selby, who would have been interested.

Mr Pickering modernised the house and erected buildings nearby for his milk lorries. He later moved from the house into a bungalow he built next door. He bought several nearby closes and when Richard Selby sold his land he bought a cottage on Bar Road North and part of one of the Croft House paddocks and most of the Croft House Farm buildings. The cottage was once a “Dames School” and was bought, with vacant possession, for £5,000. The buildings made £10,000.

Another of Mr Pickering’s purchases was Hall Close, no 31 on the Enclosure Map, the acreage being12.449. This, for many years, from the second half of the nineteenth century, had been part of the Meynell Estate, the mansion house being Croft House, then called The Hall. The estate was sold in 1779 to Messrs Flint and Cross, although the Church “Rental Records” give it as belonging to James Gamson with Flint shown in brackets. Hall Close was offered for sale by auction in 1828 along with other land by Mr Gervase Gamson, the owner occupier at that date. Hall Close was later in the possession of Mr Jack Surfleet whose executors sold it on 28/03/1972 at auction. It was then Ordnance Survey pt 254 of 12.449 acres. It was bought by Hayes Son and Richmond on behalf of Mr H T Pickering for £5,999.

At one time Mr Pickering kept the Rotherleigh Herd of pedigree Jersey cows and retailed milk. This was discontinued and in later years he had a commercial herd of deer. The milk collection and delivery business ceased when the Milk Marketing Board finished and the new Milk Marque did not renew his contract.

Mr Pickering tells the story of a Beckingham farmer, Richard Selby, who in winter kept his binder canvases in the house attic to keep them safe from damp and vermin. This farmer was also in the habit of rolling up banknotes in the canvases as he thought no thief would think of looking there. Mr Pickering intended to buy the binder canvases at the farm sale, but arrived too late so he never knew if there was a hoard of notes secreted therein.

Mr and Mrs Pickering moved to the Rotunda in 1995. Mr Pickering died on 12/08/1997. His herd of deer was also sold, also the depot buildings. Later the Farm House and Depot site were put up for auction and sold by Drewery and Wheeldon on 11/03/1998. The depot site had planning permission for five houses and this are together with the farmhouse was bought by Mr R Heaton, who has since between 1998 and 2001, built five houses.

SOUTH FIELD CLOSE, Enclosure no 54 in 1777

1736 This appears to have belonged to Roystons. It was no 79 and 3a 1r 07p.

1777It belonged to Mary Royston, no 54, 3a 2r 18p. (She also owned the Homestead and Close numbers 59 and 60 which adjoined the above mentioned homestead.

C1779 Thomas Waterhouse had become the owner. The property descended through the family to his granddaughter Mrs Meggitt. Ann Cliff was the tenant.

George Wells probably became tenant, after Ann Cliff, of both properties.

These two properties must at some time have been bought by George Wells. On the death of his widow his trustee Mr Thom sold them, along with another close, to Henry Rose Esquire. See the deeds of these properties.

SOUTH FIELD CLOSE, Enclosure No 55, in 1777

1736 This was no 78 on the map and of 2a 3r 00p. Ownership not given.

1777 Thomas Waterhouse owned it, no 55 2a 3r 13p.

1779 as above.

This close appears to have been part of Rev Hompesch Massingberds share of the Waterhouse estate.

1853 he sold it to Richard Hodgson.

1857 Richard Hodgson of Sheffield sold it to Charles Cliffe of Gamston for £290.0.0. Acreage 2a 3r 25p. This seems expensive.

This close also seems to have been bought by George Wells and on the death of his widow was sold to Henry Rose, along with the Homestead no 58, and another South Field Close no 54. £1,365 was paid for the three properties, 01/12/1913.

There is no known connection between the above mentioned Charles Cliffe of Gamston and Ann Cliffe of Beckingham. The Mr Rogers who according to the 1866 Tithe Records, owned land let to George Wells, was not necessarily connected with the Rogers who were tenants of Mr Rose.

ROTHERLEIGH, STATION ROAD CORNER.

MR H T PICKERING’S DAIRY FARM

1831 Census

Ann Cliff, 3 females

1841 Census

Anne Cliffe 60 Farmer
Joseph Cliffe 30
George Curtis 2
Charlotte Cooper 15 Farm Servant

1851 Census Beckingham Schedule 100

Elizabeth Newbold Head Widow 43 Widow of Agricultural Labourer Beckingham
Eliza Newbold Dau 11 Scholar Beckingham
Francis Newbold Son 7 Scholar Beckingham
Elizabeth Newbold Dau 10 Scholar Morton Carr, Lincolnshire
Mary Newbold Niece M 26 Baker’s Wife Nottingham
M Newbold Nephew 5 Baker’s Son Gainsborough

1861 Census Low Street 1 uninhabited between schedules 14 and 15

(George Wells the next occupier was at this time a Cordwainer and Local Methodist Preacher living with his parents Thomas and Amelia on Bar Road).

1871 Census Station Road Schedule 111

George Wells Head M 35 Coal and Lime Merchant Beckingham
Mary Jane Wells Wife M 34 Grasby, Lincolnshire
Julia Sarah Wells Dau 7 Scholar Beckingham
Annie Maud Dau 4 Beckingham
Bertha Wells Dau 2 Beckingham
Eliza Ann Wells Dau 5 months Beckingham

1881 Census Station Road Schedule 96 Farming 13 acres of land

George Wells Head M 45 Coal and Cake Merchant Beckingham
Mary J Wells Wife M 44 Grasby, Lincolnshire
Julia S Wells Dau Unm 17 Beckingham
Annie M Wells Dau 14 Assistant to Teacher Beckingham
Bertha Wells Dau 12 Scholar Beckingham
Eliza A Wells Dau 10 Scholar Beckingham
Mary E Wells Dau 5 Scholar Beckingham
Emily J Wells Dau 4 Scholar Beckingham

1891 Census Beckingham Schedule 11

George Wells Head M 55 Coal and Cake Merchant Beckingham
Bertha Wells Dau S 22 Dressmaker Beckingham
Eliza A Wells Dau S 20 School Teacher Beckingham
Mary E Wells Dau 15 Beckingham
Emily J Wells Dau 14 Scholar Beckingham
Alice B Hopkins Visitor Widow 71 Living on her own means Gainsborough

(In 1871 Alice Hopkin was Housekeeper, Widow 51 at Beckingham Hall, now called Croft House).

Census Returns Continued

1901 Schedule 18 Station Road

George Wells Head M 65 Cole, Cake and Tillage Own account Beckingham
Mary J Wells Wife M 64 Grasby
Mary E Wells Dau S 25 Beckingham
Emily J Wells Dau S 24 Beckingham

THE ROTUNDA AND CROFT HOUSE FARM BUILDINGS

In 1944 Mr Pickering began altering these farm buildings, purchased in 1973, to make them suitable for housing his collection of horse-drawn vehicles, farm machinery etc. The wooden Dutch barn near the road was demolished to make way for the proposed circular bungalow. The open fronted cartshed in the South East corner of the site fell down in late 1994. The old buildings had been roofed in French and Belgian slates. The date when they were erected is not known, but they were probably built in the second half of the nineteenth century when Croft House was owned by the Duckle family.

In 1995 the new bungalow called The Rotunda was complete and Mr and Mrs Pickering moved there from their other bungalow. Two roadside building plots were sold and houses built thereon which fill the gap between The Rotunda and the existing bungalows on this part of Station Road now renamed as part of Low Street.

Mr Pickering died on 12/08/1997.

The herd of deer were sold, and also the depot buildings. In March 1998 Drewery and Wheeldon auctioned the farmhouse and five building plots. The plots were on the cleared site of the depot and they, together with the house, were bought by Mr R Heaton, who has between then and 2001, built houses on the five plots.

INDENTURE MADE 01/12/1913

Conveyance of a Dwelling House and Three Closes of Land

Will 26 November 1907

William Thom of Normanby by Spital, grocer, executor of will of George Wells who died 12/10/1912. Income to widow of George Wells who died 20/10/1913.

Enclosure no 58 1

Property sold by the trust to Henry Rose for £1,365 4a 1r 31p West and South by Station Road, North and East not stated. Together with house and buildings on South West corner of above land late in occupation of George Wells.

No 54 2

Also South Field Close 3a 2r 18p on north by hereditaments to on west by Gainsborough Road on South by Mrs Bingleys property East by South Field Lane now in occupation of John Atkinson Anyan.

No 55 3

Thirdly pasture land of 3 acres east by South Field Lane west by Gainsborough Road, north by property of Mr Watson south by Mr Anyan, and in occupation of Mr Anyan.

Mr George Wm Thom to Henry Rose Esquire.

Indenture Made 04/06/1857

Between Richard Hodgson of Sheffield
Charles Cliffe of Gamston, farmer
Thomas Hugh Oldham of Gainsborough

Refers to an earlier agreement of 12/11/1853
Between Rev Hompesch Massingberd
Richard Hodgson
John Cairns

Also mentioned is an agreement
Between Ann Stephenson
Joseph Stephenson
William Barnard
Rev H Massingberd
John Cairns

(Land no 55 on Enclosure Map 2a 3r 13p)
All that Close of Meadow or Pasture, South Field Close, 2a 3r 25p.
South Field Lane to east, Turnpike Road to Gainsborough west, Mr Watson to the north, land of Eadales Trustees, south.

Signed by Cliffe and Hodgson.

IMAGE16A/25 Deeds of Land at Beckingham, South Field Close Enclosure No 55

IMAGE16A/26

IMAGE16A/27

Deeds of Homestead and two closes at Beckingham

Mr T Pickering’s Land in 1994

Enclosure numbers 58 Homestead 4a 1r 31p
54 South Field Close 3a 2r 18p
55 South Field Close 3 acres or thereabouts

IMAGE16A/28 Indenture

IMAGE16A/29 Indenture

IMAGE16A/30 Indenture

IMAGE16A/31 Indenture

Deeds of 1 Homestead, 2 A South Field Close, 3 A South Field Close at Beckingham
Enclosure numbers 58, 54 and 55 respectively.

IMAGE16A/32 Abstract of the Title Mr William Henry Rose

IMAGE16A/33 Abstract of the Title Mr William Henry Rose

IMAGE16A/34 Deeds of South Field Close, Beckingham Enclosure No 55

IMAGE16A/35 Deeds of South Field Close, Beckingham Enclosure No 55

IMAGE16A/36 Deeds of South Field Close, Beckingham Enclosure No 55

IMAGE16A/37 Deeds of South Field Close, Beckingham Enclosure No 55

IMAGE16A/38 Deeds of South Field Close, Beckingham Enclosure NO 55

IMAGE16A/39 Deeds of South Field Close, Beckingham Enclosure No 55

IMAGE16A/40 Deeds of South Field Close, Beckingham Enclosure No 55

IMAGE16A/41 Deeds of South Field Close, Beckingham Enclosure No 55

IMAGE16A/42 All Saints Parish Church, Beckingham 20/08/1997

IMAGE16A/43 All Saints Parish Church, Beckingham 20/08/1997

IMAGE16A/44 Drewery and Wheeldon Station Road, Beckingham

IMAGE16A/45 Developed 03/1993 Neg 7. Mr T Pickering’s Croft House Farm buildings. North East corner of crewyard showing cattle sheds with granary over and barn. This part of the yard was once covered. The barn was probably not built for threshing.

IMAGE16A/46 Developed 03/1993 Neg 9 Mr T Pickering’s farm buildings that once belonged to Croft House Farm. Croft House, seen in the background, is not now a farmhouse. Some of the buildings on the south side.

IMAGE16A/47 Planning Applications 25/02/1994

IMAGE16A/48 Developed 03/1993 Neg 4. Mr Tim Pickering’s Croft House farm buildings off Low Street, Beckingham. Barn and granary viewed from north east. The barn does not have the usual ventilator holes.

IMAGE16A/49 Developed 02/1994 Neg 23. Mr T Pickering’s Croft House farm buildings off Low Street, Beckingham. Interior of the barn viewed form east doorway when partially demolished.

IMAGE16A/50 Developed 09/1996 Neg 18A. North wing of Croft House farm buildings adapted for museum by Mr T Pickering. 18/09/1996

IMAGE16A/51 Developed 09/1996 Neg 19A. Massey Harris binder to Mr T Pickering’s Museum in adapted Croft House farm buildings. 18/09/1996

IMAGE16A/52 Neg 20 South wing of converted farm buildings off Station Road. Formerly belonging to Croft House Farm, now Mr Pickering’s 06/1994.

IMAGE16A/53 Neg 18 Foundations of Mr Pickering’s Bungalow, Low Street, Beckingham 06/1994.

IMAGE16A/54 Neg 3 Mr Pickering’s Bungalow 07/1994.

IMAGE16A/55 Start of construction of walls.

IMAGE16A/56 Neg 23 Mr Pickering’s bungalow 18/08/1994. Croft House in the background.

IMAGE16A/57 Neg 2A Bungalow nearly completed 12/1994.

IMAGE16A/58 Developed 09/1996 Neg 10A Mr and Mrs Pickering’s Round House, Low Street, formerly Station Road, Beckingham 18/09/1996.

IMAGE16A/59 Developed 09/1996 Neg 21A Round House viewed from West 18/09/1996.

CROFT HOUSE FARMSTEAD

When owned by the Meynell family this was the mansion house of Beckingham Estate, but in c1822 it had been purchased by Mrs Wailey along with 5 acres of land in which it stood, and South Field Close of 5a 0r 29p. The house was probably then known as The Hall. The 1777 map shows some buildings but these were probably stables and coach house. Sold to Robert Duckle Esquire in 1836.

Some time later owner must have purchased farm land and built the extensive range of farm buildings. These buildings from a rectangle around a yard with access from the south east corner which is rather strange as the land associated with the farmstead was on the west side beyond the house. The buildings appear in the main to be one storey animal sheds. They are of brick with French and Belgian slate roofs with blue brick ridge tiles. The barn is of similar construction but is now partly roofed with asbestos. It was probably constructed when threshing barns were becoming obsolete. There are no ventilator holes in the walls, but the doors have originally been of the traditional type on the east side. There is an opposing door on the west side but this is a single door probably meant as access to the yard when feeding animals. Both ends of the barn have wooden lofts and the barn forms an L shaped building with another part of similar size on the north side of the yard which has a granary over open fronted sheds facing into the yard. The floor of the barn appears to have been raised so the original type of flooring used is not known. The stone blocks on which the big doors pivoted are partly buried and it is not possible to tell if there were slots for a threshold board. It was probably built as a feed barn, but kept the traditional threshing barn style.

IMAGE16A/60 Threshing Barn diagram

The bricks are 3″ thick. 10 courses of brickwork is 2′ 9 1/4″
The barn is 60 courses high. The height to the eaves is approximately 16 1/2 feet. English garden bond. The buildings now belong to Mr H T Pickering’s Dairy Farm. PJM 15/03/1993

The buildings were photographed and measured by The Retford Historical and Archaeological Society in 02/1994.

IMAGE16A/61 Developed 09/1996 Neg 16A Developed 09/1996 Neg 16A Mr T Pickering’s Round House, Low Street, previously Station Road. Looking up to the roof of the rotunda. 18/09/1996

IMAGE16A/62 Developed 09/1996 Neg 17A Circular central hall of Mr T Pickering’s Round House, Beckingham 18/09/1996.

IMAGE16A/63 Beckingham and Saundby Coronation Funds

IMAGE16A/64 Beckingham and Saundby Coronation Funds

IMAGE16A/65 Beckingham Ladies Hockey 1949-1950

Back Row left to right

Pam Large, Molly Lockwood, Joan Meredith, Barbara Ellis, Pauline Hoyle, Betty Pilkington

Front Row Left to right

Pam Levick, Angela Heppenstall, Mary Maden, Pam Smith, Margaret Broxholme

IMAGE16A/66 Beckingham Ladies Hockey

Back row Left to right

Betty Pilkington, ?, Molly Lockwood, Margaret Trafford, Angela Heppenstall, Joan Meredith

Front row Left to right

Pam Levick, Barbara Ellis, Pauline Hoyle, Mary Maden, Margaret Broxholme

IMAGE16A/67 Copied 11/1986. Opening Day of Beckingham Village Hall in 1948. Miss Nora Watson speaking.

IMAGE16A/68 Copied 03/1997 from Mrs Freda Proudley’s photograph Neg 18. The opening of the Village Hall and Playing Field 1948.

IMAGE16A/69 Women’s Institute at the Village Hall Christmas Circa 1948.

Left to right

Mesdames Herbert Gill, Maud Adams, Beardsworth, Whitlam, Smithson, Williamson, Mitchell, Mr A Smithson, Mrs Alice Proudley, Mrs Frank Levick, Miss Mabel Gosling, Mrs Irene Jervis and Mrs Esme Ranby.

IMAGE16A/70 Beckingham Women’s Institute 1949

IMAGE16A/71 Beckingham Church Sunday School (1949/1951)

IMAGE16A/72 Beckingham Women’s Institute 1949
Supplied by Alan Gosling. Supplement to master photograph. Key to Sunday School photograph is in Church File.

THE HISTORY OF BECKINGHAM VILLAGE HALL AND PLAYING FIELD

This begins in 1944 when the Football Club was being formed. The only other club at this time was the Cricket Club. The two other clubs thought that it was time that the village had a proper sports ground and not have to ask local farmers for the use of a field.

A village meeting was called to rally support and this was well attended. From the meeting the Watson Family donated a ten acre field which is now the playing field and many people promised to help raise funds for equipment.

The Wallhead brothers made a detailed plan of the layout for tennis courts, a bowling green, a play park for children, football, cricket and hockey pitches.

During the next three years things on the field began to take shape under a working committee headed by Miss Nora Watson. Equipment was installed and paid for with money raised from various events. During 1947 the working committee decided that a Village Hall was needed to complete the project. Miss Watson visited County Hall, Nottingham to see the council people who dealt with village halls. Her visit was successful.

The Rural Council allocated a village hall to Beckingham and this was delivered in 09/1949. The hall was erected, water, electric and sewerage were connected up by 06 1948.

The official opening of the Hall and Playing Field was set for the first week of 09/1948. Mr Howden, the Managing Director of Newell’s Engineering was asked to perform the ceremony.

The formation of the tennis, bowls and hockey clubs now took place. The first committee of Management was elected comprising representatives from 16 village clubs and organisations and 8 Trustees under the Chairmanship of Mr Lesley Selbey and was registered as a Charity.

A caretaker/groundsman was employed at a weekly wage of 30 shillings per week all the rest of the people were volunteers.

During the next few years the dressing rooms were added, paid for by the Football and Cricket Clubs. During 1978 the hall was extended towards the tennis courts and in 1980 the Hall was further extended towards the bowling green, the kitchen was also extended and the car park enlarged.

All the work done on the playing field is voluntary the Clubs being self supporting and paying rents for the Courts, Greens and Pitches.

IMAGE16A/73 Beckingham cum Saundby Parish Council Newsletter

IMAGE16A/74 Beckingham cum Saundby Parish Council Newsletter

IMAGE16A/75 Beckingham and Saundby Community Information

IMAGE16A/76 Beckingham and Saundby Community Information

IMAGE16A/77 Beckingham and Saundby Community Information

IMAGE16A/78 Beckingham and Saundby Community Information

IMAGE16A/79 Beckingham cum Saundby Village Hall Newsletter

IMAGE16A/80 Beckingham cum Saundby Village Hall Newsletter

IMAGE16A/81 North Nottinghamshire Villages want a Community Centre. Retford Times 09/02/1945 From Mrs Edlington

IMAGE16A/82 The Gainsborough News 1948 Beckingham Playing Field From Mrs Edlington

IMAGE16A/83 Retford Times 1948 From Mrs Edlington

IMAGE16A/84 Gainsborough News 23/07/1948 From Mrs Edlington
IMAGE16A/85 Gainsborough News 09/09/194?

IMAGE16A/86 Evening News 25/09/1973 P 8

IMAGE16A/87 Drewery and Wheeldon Green Cottage, Station Road, Beckingham

IMAGE16A/88 Beckingham By-pass Newspaper article

IMAGE16A/89 Beckingham Newspaper article

IMAGE16A/90 Evening News 25/09/1973 Beckingham By-pass